Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
several questions about agar
    #1296052 - 02/10/03 10:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

some background: I'm planning of doing a bulk grow style on dung/straw spawned with WBS. I have some spore prints from awhile ago and was planning on just making some syringes, but I wanted to try my hand at agar isolate methods....consistent pin sets, better yeild, etc.

Before reading further many of you will tell me to just buy TMC and GGMM and i am a dumbass and only bought GGMM. TMC is on its way and GGMM has limited info on agar methods. I thought I'd get some answers a bit sooner.

The questions:
1) I searched but didnt find: I'm trying to calculate the time until I can start my spawn run and I was just wondering how long petri dishes usually take to grow out?

2) Given my status, should I
a) innoculate agar with spores and do subcultures? How many subcultures are
usually necessary before you get an acceptable myceleal mat?
OR
b) just innoculate a tray of WBS and grow some mushrooms, then take the best
specimen for isloating?

3) Which of the above two would be faster? any opinions on which would be better?

4) Agar-agar is also used in food for creating gelatin like texture. Is this stuff usable or is there some difference in content/quality that I dont know about? I'm following the peroxide agar tek: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=466153&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

Maybe it will be easier to buy premix? anyone know of a place where I can get some for cheap?

I've got some more questions in my brain but I cant find them right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
-Majik

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Edited by majik_monkey (02/10/03 10:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: several questions about agar [Re: majik_monkey]
    #1296074 - 02/10/03 10:34 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I would say its best to start with cloning on peroixdated agar
as you may have more success but petris take up no room
so also start working with spores on agar.
As to times it takes to fill the petri i find about 2 weeks normaly
but im new to it to so hopefully some one else will step in :smile:

Edit: i get food grade agar agar from the local health food store and food grade is fine even flaked rather than powdered.

--------------------
er

Edited by G a n j a (02/10/03 10:36 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1296135 - 02/10/03 11:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

it normaly take about 2-3 weeks to fill out a petri depending on incubation params, as for the type of agar....well I prefer bacteriological grade of agar because of gel strength and composition, but the food grade will work

P#1

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1296148 - 02/10/03 11:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes you are correct ...............Get the bible TMC .
#1 .............. On an average it takes 7-10 days for first signs of life , but does on occasion happen faster . That all depends on freshness of spores , environmental conditions you germinate in , and the contamination factors (if you have cooties) !
#2 You continue with issolates until you have pure rhizomorphic growth in the petri , this all depends on a lot of things , have had pure strains from the first petri made , have had some never give good rhizos . This seems to be a natural selection thing , no way to control . Once you have the issolate you want , you inoc grain , then once fully colonized inoc your bulk sub .
#3 Agar is for the patient , not to be hurried ........spells "DOOM" !
#4Cannot give you a good answer here , personally to lazy to make stuff up , so buy the premixed powder stuff and add water , but do use three different kinds , this keeps a diversity in the mix , do not want them favoring one type and one type only of food source .
Hope this helps .
TMC is best choice you could make , it will answer many questions you have only scratched surface of .
#5 Damn you ask a lot of questions ! lol!  :wink:
Good Luck
"May The Mushroom Goddess Bless Alll Your Endeavors !"
PS check your PM

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (02/10/03 11:06 AM)

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: several questions about agar [Re: tripndicular]
    #1296206 - 02/10/03 11:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Paul Stamets, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation