Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures.
    #12531069 -

I was wondering if I would have to get different sized needles (I have 16g) for inoculating a liquid culture through a self sealing port because for my first attempt they were "Vaccutainers" and a good deal of ambient air was sucked in through the port after removal of the needle.

The jar failed to colonize but I think this was because I had used to strong of a sugar solution (combination of organic malt syrup and organic corn syrup).

I was also using silicone sealer and not RTV gasket maker, my next attempt I am going to stick to straight corn syrup and RTV but any pointers you'd imagine useful would be much appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: Zarcorp]
    #12537625 -

Bump for help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: Zarcorp]
    #12537632 -

I use the normal 18 1 1/2 needles with no problem. I use silicone sealent without any issues aswell. Not sure where your going wrong.


--------------------
I believe that if people would learn to use LSD's vision-inducing capability more wisely, under suitable conditions, in medical practice and in conjunction with meditation, then in the future this problem child could become a wonderchild. - HOFFMAN

My Print/Syringe Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: Zarcorp]
    #12537658 -

Zarcorp said:
I was also using silicone sealer and not RTV gasket maker,



what kind?


--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.


:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: anonjon]
    #12550872 -



Sorry that took so long, no internet at home, I now have gasket maker, going to try it out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: Zarcorp]
    #12551290 -

Yeah, I was surprised at the size of the needles that Sporeworks sent with their syringes. I just inoculated through Tyvek but it left a pretty sizable hole...I think they were also 16 gauge. Those more experienced, wouldn't 25 gauge do just as good without taking out a chunk of your injection port?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: thesoundd]
    #12552765 -

No, LC has a hard enough time even getting through a 16ga needle. I would call 16ga minimum for LC, but you can get by with thinner if you must.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about needle gauge for inoculating liquid cultures. [Re: thesoundd]
    #12552884 -

The smaller the gauge number, the larger the needle.
I prefer 16 gauge needle for drawing up my LC's, at least.

Take the lids off LC's to draw into syringes.
Make shift injection ports constructed of silicone will no longer be a problem getting stuck into your needles.



--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Easy Liquid Culture Container Tek SixTango 21,804 7 01/17/12 04:59 PM
by dubyastep
* Liquid culture advice? Jackstraw455 4,824 2 05/07/21 11:12 AM
by bodhisatta
* Liquid culture inoculation of straw... possible? The FUnGal FiEnD 8,001 9 05/26/13 04:57 PM
by cronicr
* 1st Liquid Culture, arrrgh! Seril 15,613 10 02/28/06 08:35 PM
by Limelight_Liver
* Liquid Cultures to Bulk Substrate Prodijal_Son 19,230 7 05/05/20 03:40 AM
by poisoned
* Starting a simple liquid culture method Garret_Hill 10,007 3 03/11/02 09:49 AM
by YourHighness
* liquid culture failure gray1 6,501 3 07/19/01 09:37 PM
by Azure
* liquid culture using h2o2 baja 10,009 14 03/09/17 10:00 PM
by 3B3B4E

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
6,219 topic views. 15 members, 251 guests and 265 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.