Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Slavaslave]
    #12256497 -

Yeah, I learned how to shoot a gun when I was 6 and my dad's been telling me to stand up for myself in a fighty situation for as long as I can remember. I am fucking glad he didn't give me "If someone wants to fight you find the nearest teacher/aid/cop you can" bullshit.


--------------------
I don't use jelly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: AltecLansing] * 1
    #12256508 -

Quote:
Call of duty will not help you beat up a bully but is great for cognitive development, familiarizing him with the concept of battle (war) the stategizing recognizing threats and what weapon for what job, team dynamic.



Thats bull.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: DieCommie]
    #12256621 -

my son was a bainiac and got picked on.  he was also wiry, stretched like a rubber band, and was really fast.  he took martial arts lessons and subsequently kicked the shit out of three boys at once after which they left him alone. They told me i had to come to school and i told them to fuck off. so, in this wold, yeah it is probably ok.

then teach him not to use it.  i have mellowed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Slavaslave] * 1
    #12256650 -

Slavaslave said:
give em gloves, and have em go at it... thats what i'll do...



Toughening him or her up is one thing just letting them scrap it up is good for that teaching them a discipline is different and also important for a well rounded fighter.

Teaching your child respect and when not to fight is also critical

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Morican] * 1
    #12257535 -

Hendostan said:
MrKnightVision said:
DieCommie said:
Of course.  Its not only ok, its a parent's responsibility.


:billymaythumbup:



absolutely. but along with fighting/martial arts/self defense/weaponry comes the lessons of respect and responsibility. teach those above all else.



Of coarse, I am actually a peaceful person but think it important to be prepared, ready to fight and know how to, to defend ones self when the time comes.

I have already started teaching my son basic stances and some blocking, the basics but not every day, just randomly every once in a while and I make it fun, just a prep for the coming sparing and hand to hand techniques.

My little man, is super smart and has mastered the maneuvering of his character, climbing on structures, latter, etc. the usage and switching between the weapons. He is also learning how to use the xbox controls, going into and out of and between internal menus all by himself.
He doesn't seem to care about actually shooting anyone, just gets annoyed when they shoot him because he was usually trying to learn a new rifle scope or launcher, or trying to climb on something.

If he would have shown or shows inappropriate behavior I will take steps to correct it. Being a responsible parent is where you start, I just think that people vary widely in what they deem appropriate to teach one child and when.

Back in the day for my family in Texas and Mexico, it was standard place for your child to learn to farm, manage live stock and even kill a chicken. I learned to ride a horse and chop wood with an axe and a machete as a very young child. My Dad was the neighborhood butcher and so I was witness to the slaughtering of animal since I was a toddler. Most of this stuff, a city slicker would frown upon exposing their child to, doesn't make it wrong though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Morican] * 1
    #12257849 -

yeah it's cool as long as they're not goin around startin shit but if somebody fucks with them they should know how to defend themselves n all that :costanza:


--------------------
everything i post is entirely fictional
"and then one day you find 10 years have got behind you no one told you when to run...you missed the starting gun"

"for long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Morican]
    #12258618 -

You should teach your kid, get him involved with wrestling or something.  Could help the kid be more of a man in middle school when someone tries to pick on him or not, he will either get picked on everyday or they will pick on him once and never again

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: DieCommie]
    #12258732 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
Call of duty will not help you beat up a bully but is great for cognitive development, familiarizing him with the concept of battle (war) the stategizing recognizing threats and what weapon for what job, team dynamic.



Thats bull.



This, and I agree with your ex wife here. If you're going to let video games help teach your kid anything why not introduce him to strategy games or maybe play board games with him. It takes more skill to win a chess match or sink your battle ship than it does to pull a trigger. :shrug:


--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Deekay]
    #12258781 -

i teach children to loose fights, through example.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Hendostan]
    #12258792 -

Hendostan said:
MrKnightVision said:
DieCommie said:
Of course.  Its not only ok, its a parent's responsibility.


:billymaythumbup:



absolutely. but along with fighting/martial arts/self defense/weaponry comes the lessons of respect and responsibility. teach those above all else.



This to a T.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: chamberlaindavidd] * 1
    #12260213 -

FUCK YEAH IT IS, MY BOY CAN WHIP THAT THERE ASS




:awesome:


oh, and chances are, they will learn on their own.  the way she goes.


--------------------
<
I have logged in this once so that I can set the "last seen" feature up.  let the faggots flow forth into OTD and have it.  Its funny how they all grew nuts after I left.  I'm not here, I'm not reading, but I urge you all to keep melting down over me.  I know, I hurt alot of people, and they deserved it.  epic win for me, epic fail for you. 

ythan, you rock dude.  i feel that my time at the shroomery was very positive and enjoyable, but this site is no longer for me. im not mad or upset or disappointed, i just want no part in a pg rated faggot festival.
<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: danlennon3]
    #12260224 -

danlennon3 said:
martial arts teaches you not only fighting, bust also good morals and teaches that fighting should only be used if you are in danger and need to defend yourself. This may not the case for ALL children. There are always going to be some cases where martial arts will make a child who already bullies people, to make matters worse. But that is usually not the case. You know your children. If they are nice and kind to other peers, martials arts could make then even better children. If your child is gettin beaten up or bullied, then martial arts is good too... If your child is the kid who fights or bullies other peers, theres a chance this could be a good thing to practice self control... But it could also make the problem worse.

Also the intructor is very important. The instructor is a big influence on his students when it comes to how they will use their skills in the real world. When I was a kid, martial arts gave me inner and outer strength, I felt I was part of a family who cared. This gave me higher self esteem and an overall better outlook on how I felt about myself.



:thumbup:


--------------------
-_-_-_-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Morican] * 1
    #12260234 -

It depends on your morals.
I would say no because I'm a pacifist, but if you believe that physical violence is necessary at some points, then I'd say your child should learn to fight once they go into Highschool. Before then, they have nothing worth fighting for, and won't avoid conflict over stupid matters if you teach them to fight much better than their peers.

I'm also a vegetarian, so I'd say that hunting is wrong, but if you do it yourself, I believe that it's a valuable experience to hunt, and can be an excellent bonding experience for father and son.


--------------------
:peace::heartpump::shineon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Fry]
    #12260271 -

Fry said:
It depends on your morals.
I would say no because I'm a pacifist



my morality is to teach my children to defend themselves, I'm o
pacifist and there's certainly no way I'm going to allow my kids
to take a beating with no ability to fight back


Quote:
if you believe that physical violence is necessary at some points, then I'd say your child should learn to fight once they go into Highschool. Before then, they have nothing worth fighting for, and won't avoid conflict over stupid matters if you teach them to fight much better than their peers.



complete rubbish, I learned to fight very young because I always got
picked on, I was the smallest kid in school, by 3rd grade I could beat
my peers but I chose to restrain myself, I never bothered until I was
in 6th grade and one of the 8th graders jumped on me for talking with
his sister, I had him pinned in a doorway kicking the shit out of him
and the best part, they couldnt open the door to get out there to get
me off him, they had to go around to the next door

I didnt get picked on again until 8th grade, it ended pretty much the
same way, picked on most of the year by a couple of kids, take down the
big one when everyone is there to watch... it's an ugly little world
where even the kids are killing other kids, they need to learn
discipline and self control as well as self defense


not teaching a child to take up for himself is going to leave him with
self esteem issues for many years, not teaching him when it's
appropriate to defend himself, could leave him in jail

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12260676 -

:thumbup:

I can't think of a single fight I got into after the age of 12.  Kids gotta know how to defend themselves -- especially the ones who make easy targets.  Like gingers, shorties, skinny kids and fatties.


--------------------
ShiVersblood said:
shut ur fucking mouth. before a penis is are be enters

LordSenate said:
Cheese poop... Who gives a fuck gotta eat lots of cheese.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: sun_spots]
    #12260722 -

playing MW2 at THREE years old.. hmmmmmmmm



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: desant]
    #12260734 -

Enrolling him in a martial arts class will not only teach him to defend himself, (as others mentioned) it will also teach him discipline, restraint, and social skills

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: memes]
    #12260741 -

^^ THAT is what he should learn FIRST, not blowing up your opponents with blasted predator drones in MW2


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: desant]
    #12261379 -

amen


--------------------
ShiVersblood said:
shut ur fucking mouth. before a penis is are be enters

LordSenate said:
Cheese poop... Who gives a fuck gotta eat lots of cheese.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it ok to teach your children to fight? [Re: Kada]
    #12261422 -

Kada said:
My son draws battle scenes and people killing each other. I'm not to sure I want him around to many weapons but I teach him gun safety with airsoft guns. I tried to get him into karate but he didn't want to do it. I could teach him but he isn't interested in it yet. He just wants to play nerf guns and sword fight all the time. When he is ready I will definitely start training him the best I can, then I will take him to a school if he wants to continue. I not only support it I encourage him to learn.



Show him some movies with Bruce Lee being a badass. That'll pique his interest. :matrixfight:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Any martial artists?
( 1 2 3 all )
Madtowntripper 6,944 59 03/23/08 03:32 AM
by Acaterpillar
* What's the best type of martial arts?
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 5,139 36 12/31/04 12:23 PM
by Shroomism
* any martial artists out there floydguitar 1,204 9 11/19/04 07:01 AM
by Silven
* Do you think children can be raised responsibly in a "drug environment"?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
Adamist 22,802 175 01/11/05 02:18 AM
by Turd
* shopping for airsoft gun
( 1 2 all )
tospace 3,007 26 07/09/12 09:03 PM
by DieCommie
* anyone here into Airsoft
( 1 2 all )
dkamp18 3,506 27 11/11/09 09:26 PM
by Shins
* anyone ever play airsoft? a_guy_named_ai 1,144 11 01/14/08 10:21 PM
by opensaysme
* For those into Martial Arts.... Edge 1,674 7 02/27/05 04:54 PM
by Tomatadunothing

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,353 topic views. 7 members, 8 guests and 75 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.