Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Any martial artists?
    #2982235 - 08/09/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Any of you pubbers practice any martial arts? I ask because I'm looking at my schools Rec & Sports offerings for the semester and I have a few extra free credits i could use. I take canoeing and kayaking and camping, but a martial arts course would be neat.

Anyway, I'll list the choices available and I'd love some feedback if you've taken any of them in the past and enjoyed it.

Aikido
Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
Capoeira
Karate
Kendo
Okinawan Kobudo Weapons: Bo and Sai
Russian Martial Arts (?) WTF are these?
Shaolin Kung-Fu
Tae-Kwon-Do
T'ai Chi Ch'uan (I thought this was more like a yoga thing?)
Wing Chun Kung Fu (Funny Name)

I'm not sure I'll take any of them, but they're free, so i might as well take advantage of it whil ei have the chance.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2982267 - 08/09/04 05:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'd take kick boxing or russian martial arts(im pretty sure their the crazy combat they teach their soldiers. ive seen some videos, its good stuuff)

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineOuchITripped
|E|C|S|T|A|C|Y| ~ ~ ~My Anti-Drug~

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: barfightlard]
    #2982315 - 08/09/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't take any martial art's, and i'm not a martial artist

I did take 2 years of Judo, at Marine Military academy, then the following couple years I was a Boxing instructor, So, I know a little bit about Martial Arts, and here it is

Tae-Kwon-Do: is the regular standard "karate" that you take, like when your a kid so you don't get stolen by strangers..

Kendo: You have big bamboo swords, and armor, VERY expensive armor, at that, and each time you strike your opponent, you score a point.

Wing Chun Kung Fu: Wing Chun is a Style of kung fu..., this is kind of like the matrix, but of course not so animated, and all that stuff
movements are wide.

Shaolin Kung-Fu: Shaolin is a type, again, It's more like closer to your body (the movements), you keep your hands and feet pulled in, because Shaolin style, developed on boats, and when your fighting kung fu on a boat, you don't want to fall off, or so I was told.

--------------------
If mushrooms grew in my house, and I could smoke in here, i'd have no reason to go outside?
-Brock D. 2004 (that's me)
---------------------------------------------------
if you feel like your gonna puke just go ahead and puke
you'll feel much better afterwards.
sometimes its fun, as long as it doesn't come out your nose, that sucks
-Sherm (from the shroomery)

Better smilies coming soon! By suffer
---------------------------------------------------

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #2982319 - 08/09/04 05:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm a green belt in Shorin Ryu karate. I'd love to learn Kung Fu, as a matter of fact I'll take lessons soon.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2982357 - 08/09/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It depends on what you want to accomplish.
Personally, I would go for either the Jiu-Jitsu, Tai Chi, or Wing Chun.
Aikido is all well and good but it takes years and years of training to progress much at all in it.

Tai chi-chuan I'm sure you are familiar with.. it's the slow motion arm moving techniques and such you will see chinese people practicing. For health and "inner balance" reasons that would be your best pick imo. Tai chi is more meditation than anything... but Tai Chi martial applications are the same as you see them practicing, only 50 times faster. It is very effective. However, most tai chi practicioners use it stricly for meditation and balance.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is something I think everyone should know. It is brazilian full submission wrestling. 9 out of 10 fights go to the ground and jiu-jitsu will give you the edge. It is miles beyond any form of standard wrestling as was based around Judo, and expanded from there. Jiu Jitsu will teach you a variety of valuable skills, such as how to put someone in an arm bar, or choke them out, even if they are on top of you. Jiu Jitsu teaches us that being smaller or in a worse position than someone, does not necessarily mean we will lose. If you ever watch UFC, brazilian jiu-jitsu is pretty much the standard now that every fighter must know, and it all started from the Gracie family from Brazil who developed this form of fighting and took it worldwide and made it one of the most effective fighting styles. Skilled jiu-jitsu fighters can go against practically any martial artist and still come out on top. For example Rickson Gracie was undefeated in the Brazilian full-contact NHB fighting ciruit, and Pride.. retiring with over 480 wins, 0 losses. Definitely, if you want to learn some skills you can take home with you, study jiu-jitsu.

Wing Chun Kung Fu is also very practical. This is basically the martial art Bruce Lee was taught at a young age, and was the foundation for what he used to develop his style and Jeet Kune Do. Without getting too deep into it, there is a technique in Wing Chun called Chi-Sao.. or "Sticking Hands", which is absolutely the coolest thing to watch or learn. Wing Chun Kung Fu is a very effective martial art for you standing fighting techniques. It will teach you balance and defense and fluidity, and how to strike back like a cobra. Shaolin Kung Fu is also very nice.

Anyway, I personally would choose from one of those three since those are the ones I have the most personal experience and training with. I'm familiar with most of the things on that list and let me tell you to not waste your time with Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Aikido is very impressive, but once again, takes many years to achieve any desired level of proficient skill. Jiu Jitsu is something you can get results from in several months, if you put your mind into it. It is also a skill that is very good to have in any fight, street fight or ring. It teaches you to dominate your opponent on the ground.

Anyway, I suggest you look into these a little more and decide what it best for you. Because they are each a little different in their own ways. But the best martial art is a combination of many arts and styles.. I am just pointing you to the direction I think is best based on my personal experiences.

Tae-Kwon-Do, at best, will teach you how to kick hard and high. At worst, it will teach you all the wrong moves, and detriorate your real fighting. Tae Kwon Do is sport fighting, judged by points. You do not bring Tae Kwon Do into a real fight unless you are really fucking good, and know other martial arts, or you like to get your ass kicked. Same with Karate. Although I can't generalize that because there are many different forms of Karate and some do have merit. And sometimes the Karate guys can stand up in the ring for more than a minute against some of the MMA guys.

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2982374 - 08/09/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

We study kuk sool won (traditional korean joint locks/breaking and lead along techniques... painful), aikido, and judo.

--------------------

Offlineivi
 User Gallery

#2982392 - 08/09/04 05:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know that Paul Stamets is :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: barfightlard]
    #2982405 - 08/09/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know about the Russian Martial Arts.. that's pretty vague. That could mean several things..

Basically, there are three levels of Russian Martial Arts they teach the Spetsnaz soldiers. And I guarantee that this class would not be teaching you the military (highest) applications of their martial art. At best you would learn the inferior Civilian style, that is for the general public.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2982643 - 08/09/04 06:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The instructor from the Russian Martial Arts is called "Manko". He certainly sounds like a spetznaz trained killer.

What about capoeira? I recall seeing that on the history channel or some such. I was under the impression it was more of a dance style, or like, a ritual type thing without much contact?

I recall seeing 2 guys doing this, and it looked like the intent was to come very close to hitting the other person, but not quite do so. Very beautiful to watch, but it is a legitimate fighting style?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #2982691 - 08/09/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know very little about capoeira.. other than it is from brazil and like you said, almost like dancing. Though I have a friend that took it for a while and I'm going to his house now so I'll ask him about it.

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: ivi]
    #2982953 - 08/09/04 08:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

really........ any idea what style(s) he studies?

--------------------

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Shroomism]
    #2983054 - 08/09/04 08:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I busted a beer bottle over this longhair in Gilleys once...
He said he knew martial arts :evil:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2983317 - 08/09/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I studied Wing Chun for a few years and practiced it enough to get all of the basic principals down well. It is a very practical and effective means of self defense. It concentrates on the redirection of force so that the defender may gain superior balance and control over his opponent by using the opponents strength in his favor. I never perfected the sticky hands tecnique ,but I plan on starting to train again soon and I hope to work on it more extensively. This tecnique is absolutely fascinating to watch in action! It is also a style of kung fu which doesnt require the agility of an acrobat to become effective!

Good Luck with what ever you chose weedhopper!

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Mykey]
    #2983341 - 08/09/04 09:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I study Aikido and have found it very rewarding. In fact, I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow to go study.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #2983343 - 08/09/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Holy shit I'm jealous. Have a shitload of fun!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #2983351 - 08/09/04 09:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you my friend, I'm sure I will. I'll tell ya all about it when I get back in 2 weeks.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: Mykey]
    #2983389 - 08/09/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Aye.. Shaolin kung fu is much more broad, sweeping movements and flying around than tight and centered like Wing Chun. Sticky Hands is the 'play' to wing chun as Push Hands is the play for Tai Chi.. it is amazing, especially when you watch two high level practicioners go at it, it is so fast and fluid.

Here's a clip of bruce lee casually practicing some chi-sao http://www.wtkungfu.com/Pages/Gallery/Video/BruceLee.mpg

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2983414 - 08/09/04 10:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have been in extensive martiel arts all of my life. I am a strong believer in respect, and i always looked for the instructor that demanded and deserved the most respect. I've taken MuaTai (Thailand kick boxing) and i've taken Wom Gem Pi, there are only 2 school in the us for it, and it is absolutly my favorite, because it is a life style. Unfortunitly you did not list either of these, but i have done Tae kwon do, and to tell you the truth, i did not like it, but it has been around for hundreds of years, invented by the Koreans, so it is effective. Shaolin kung fu is also another one that i like very much, you have to have ALOT of discipline, and if your just looking to jurt people, martial arts are not for you. Martial arts is not fighting, it is a life style, invented to better people, through discipline and hard work. You will leanr more then you cna imagine. Good luck, and just go in with an open mind, if you go in and the instructor is only teaching you how to hurt people, they are not worth your time. My suggestions would be:
Shaolin kung fu
T'ai Chi Ch'uan

Good luck with it and i hope you can find the same love for martial arts as i have.

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2983425 - 08/09/04 10:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alounacara said:
I busted a beer bottle over this longhair in Gilleys once...
He said he knew martial arts :evil:

I swear he kinda looked like this guy

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Any martial artists? [Re: OldSpice]
    #2983426 - 08/09/04 10:30 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Haha!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Community >> The Pub