Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #11959059 -

Anonymous #2 said:
I'm not saying I believe in creation, but I definitely don't believe it didn't happen.



Agreed, I wasn't there, I don't know what happened.
I sometimes like to think that evolution is a tool of the Creator, that it's random but inspired.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #11959155 -

Anonymous #6 said:
Agreed, I wasn't there, I don't know what happened.
I sometimes like to think that evolution is a tool of the Creator, that it's random but inspired.



You dont need to be at a place and time to have an idea of what happened there and then.  I didnt see slavery in the US, but I have a pretty good idea that it happened from the evidence.

My point is the fact that we weren't there doesn't negate the mountain of evidence we have. 

Its interesting that you bring this up.  Have you listened to Ken Ham?  He is the one who has pushed that argument and repeated that phrase over and over.  Nearly all the popular arguments and movements against evolution come from a samll group of people and the Discovery Institute.  Ken Hamm with answers in genesis and his mantra 'were you there?'.  The flagellum by Behe, specified complexity by Dembski and all the funding funneled through the Discovery Institute who hires the lawyers and fights the court battles.  Thankfully they usually lose.  But along the way they sow seeds of creationism, sometimes veiled in a very secular way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #11959758 -

Quote:
My point is the fact that we weren't there doesn't negate the mountain of evidence we have. 



Evidence isn't proof.
I believe that evolution happens, has happened, is happening- but there's no proof that it's how we got here..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #11960214 -

Thats why I didnt use the word proof...  "Proof" is only useful is philosophy and mathematics.  There is no "proof" of things in science, thats not how science works.  There is no proof that the earth is round, just a mountain of evidence.  There is no proof that atoms have positive and negative charges, just a mountain of evidence.

Like I said above - "All scientific theories are always tentative because all scientists know we dont know everything."  All scientific theories are tentative; evolution, the round earth, charged particles.  To say that any one of those is "proved" is to say that the theory is not tentative which contradicts the very nature of science.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #11960379 -

So then you are agreeing with me?
Agreeing that evidence points towards evolution, but nobody really knows how we got here?
I mean, we could have been planted here by space aliens. Maybe not likely- but possible, right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #11960424 -

I agree with you technically, but I dont agree with the spirit of your statement.

Talking about possibilities is useless.  Its possible aliens put us here and designed our biochemistry so that is seamless fit in with the rest of life that evolved here.  Its possible only I exist as a brain in a jar and the earth isnt real.  Its possible that the universe was created 1 second ago with all our memories in tact.  Possible, possible, possible... so what?

What is probable?  That is where knowledge comes in.  The mountain of evidence supporting evolution makes it as probable as the earth being round or charged particles existing.

Crackpots always appeal to possibilities, because the probabilities are not in there favor.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #11960458 -

So I'm a crackpot because I don't agree with you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #11960466 -

Nope, I dont know anything about you.  But if you constantly appeal to possibilities while ignoring probabilities you are well on your way to crackpottery.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #11960510 -

Nah, I'm a realist- I bet the odds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #11961728 -

Anonymous #6 said:
So then you are agreeing with me?
Agreeing that evidence points towards evolution, but nobody really knows how we got here?
I mean, we could have been planted here by space aliens. Maybe not likely- but possible, right?



about as likely as god placing us here

just because something is theoretically possible doesn't really mean it deserves discussion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Evolution? [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #11962081 -

Quote:
Anonymous #4 said: about as likely as god placing us here



No more likely? Nor less?

Quote:
Anonymous #4 said: just because something is theoretically possible doesn't really mean it deserves discussion



Life wouldn't be much fun if we only talked about real things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Visions from Heroin Anonymous 494 16 06/12/08 12:12 PM
by Anonymous
* Mail Order Marijuana
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Anonymous 3,254 75 09/20/08 01:18 PM
by Anonymous
* I just calculated 2C-E LD50 in mice (kind of). Anonymous 1,069 14 09/23/07 12:16 PM
by Anonymous
* abusive alcoholic last night Anonymous 639 17 10/14/07 05:11 AM
by Anonymous
* How many people have you slept with?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
Anonymous 3,226 141 09/03/09 06:03 PM
by Anonymous
* quack science motherfuckers
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 2,044 97 04/17/09 01:48 AM
by Anonymous
* Owning women
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 1,970 56 10/28/10 11:50 PM
by Anonymous
* Hostility against religious people
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 2,116 50 01/15/08 01:12 AM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
619 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.