Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN
    #11886608 -

Well, Im getting ready for the first BIG grow.....Im having a pretty good run with the PF tek, Brf half pints. Im comfortable with whats going on now.
I have 60 quart jars of popcorn knocked up. This is the first batch for the 20 64qt monotubs Im attacking LOL.



Im following Large Doses Monotub tek http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8231041/an/0/page/2 (thanks for taking the time to make that LD)
Im also following Deviants Popcorn Tek http://www.shroomery.org/9035/Popcorn-Tek-w-pics (Thanks Deviant for that great write up as well)



Oh yea, Thanks NOOBIE for the help and taking the time to post the links for me, its appreciated. Hopefully I can share some knowledge as my experience grows.
Im currently building a 10'w x 16'L room that will be dedicated to cultivation. The room will be divided into two sections, one for the TUBS, and Colonizing jars, the other section will be the "CLEAN" section for knocking up jars, and hopefully some agar and maybe LC work. (keep your eyes peeled for the pics)

Oh yeah, my original topic the POPCORN LOL.....Well the colonizing jars are moving rather nice.....I have not shaken them at all. Not at inoculation, not at 30%......they all seem to be doing really well, nice thick Myc.
I would say the jars are at a rock solid 85%, should I bother shaking them???? Or leave them to do their thing. ( why ruin a good thing right?)
I plan on using coir/coffee/verm per Large doses pasteurizing COIR tek http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7953949/an/0/page/0
Then using 6 quarts of my POPCORN spawn, and the above coir mix to fill each 64qt mono.........

Does 6qts of spawn seem like over kill?.....Im just trying to line everything up right so Im not Dicking around at all.

Here is a pic of half of the quart jars, the others are pretty much the same.....

Oh yeah, I also wanted to give a BIG thanks to all the Veterans on here who take the time to post. Your knowledge and help is always appreciated....................:thumbup:



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: notch]
    #11886646 -

those jars look good
it looks like the top layer of popcorn is drying out
cause its not being colonized

that or the myc just hasnt made its way up there yet
you could try shaking one thats the least farthest along
and see how it responds


and 6qts per tub will be fine
thats a lot of spawn per tub but thats good
this will give you faster colonization times
giving contams less of a chance to get a foot hold

  -noobie-


--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11886849 -

I'm no expert but I think it's hard to put too MUCH spawn in. The less you put in, the longer it takes and the higher your risk for contaminants.

If you plan on doing this again, why not experiment? Try a couple tubs using only 4 qt jars of spawn, or something like that. Figure out for yourself how long it takes and see which if any contaminate. And post your results for us to learn from. : )

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: notch]
    #11886922 -

why popcorn?


--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: TheAnimate]
    #11886947 -

Noobie thanks for the input,
    the myc just hasnt reached the top yet.At the rate its going I would say 2 days and it would be 100% then maybe wait a few more more days to consolidate.

So shaking shouldnt really bother anything at this point correct? Id hate to "BOTHER" a nice spread.........

Theanimate,
thanks for your input as well. I might just try the experiment after this first round of Popcorn goes through. And maybe try to narrow it down to a "BEST BANG for the Buck" setup.....:thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: prismism]
    #11886951 -

prismism said:
why popcorn?



Why not???


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: notch]
    #11887025 -

notch said:
prismism said:
why popcorn?



Why not???



Because it's hard to work with, doesn't spawn as well as smaller grains, and usually costs more. At least, that's why I don't use it.

But you have a boatload of it, I'm sure you'll make it do something useful. :wink:


--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: Doc_T]
    #11887049 -

Doc_T said:
notch said:
prismism said:
why popcorn?



Why not???



Because it's hard to work with, doesn't spawn as well as smaller grains, and usually costs more. At least, that's why I don't use it.

But you have a boatload of it, I'm sure you'll make it do something useful. :wink:



i dont understand how its hard to work with? 6 popcorn jars, 0 contaims for first attempt, actually 2 contams in brf cakes out of 6 for first attempt, i myself think popcorn was way easier then anything i've read about but then again, it is my first try only future will tell..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: biologys]
    #11887170 -

man...popcorn isnt expensive, what are you talking about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: Smeeeeg]
    #11887198 -

rye > wbs > popcorn

just the way i see it.
having experienced all three.


--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: prismism]
    #11887240 -

Your jars look good. Shaking won't hurt anything.

popcorn is usually more expensive than rye berries.

rye > popcorn > wbs IMO


--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: fungus_tao]
    #11887621 -

I chose popcorn first because it just seemed simple, And I liked the way The TEK was written. Easy to follow and well worded. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying POPCORN is my #1 choice, as I havent experienced all the of the other subs yet.......

I will try some other things...ie..Rye,WBS,etc.....I just want to stick with one thing at a time, try and learn what I can then move to the next.....I feel I will build a greater knowledge having experienced a bunch of different things rather then just a select couple......

A few people told me when I started go right for the GRAINS....Dont mess with the PF BRF cakes...Its all in the learning process for me.....Im having a nice round of BRF cakes that are doing pretty well I have about 50 of them in rotation between flushes and DUNKS....and all seems well. (and Im learning the perimeters as well)

So far so good with the Popcorn, it took to the inoculation fast, I see no signs of contams, and it growing like wild fire.....Hopefully all stays GOOD..........

Again thanks for the input guys, The interaction in this forum is AWESOME, and greatly appreciated............NOTCH


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: notch]
    #11891045 -

Popcorn is great, and the more grains you try, the more you'll know. Don't let Doc discourage you from learning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: Doc_T]
    #11891182 -

yeah doc, quit discouraging everyone from learning. ass.


--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: prismism]
    #11891196 -

Plenty of people have tried popcorn before with less-than-stellar results. The grains in popcorn usually have a higher endospore count and they're larger - which gives you less bang-for-your-buck as far as inoculation points per jar of spawn.

But if it's working for you and you're getting the results you want, rock on. :super:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: Brennus]
    #11891302 -

I like popcorn too. Have had excellent results with it. I find it's easier for g2g transfer. Walmart popcorn is cheaper than rye, for me anyway.

No need to shake at this point.


--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.


:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Couple of questions in regards to POPCORN [Re: Brennus]
    #11891473 -

I only use popcorn. Hell I can spend $15 and grow 4 pounds in under a month. I like the fact that there is peremeters set in place, for bacteria content, on grains for human consuption. Ill Give you an example, in my area, it is very easy to get field rye. I mean all I can get is rye for planting in a field. I surched for food grade rye, never could find any. Hell I even called every health food store, I could find. I tried the field grains, and every one would wet spot. So I went to popcorn( less indospores). At the time I was useing the put dry grain in jar, add water, let set 24 hours, and pressure cook method. I find that that method is very hit and miss any way. I know soak 24hours, boil, bath towel dry the grains,load in jars, then pressure cook. I am sure if I tried this on field grains, I would have better results. But to the point, I couldent get anything else to work, but popcorn. Popcorn, Kept me from getting discoureged, and giveing up on bulk sebstrates. Further more, its the fastest collinizeing substrate,  I can colinize A Jar in 7 or 8 days, and im ready to case. Popcrn also is very easy to shake. I find the big cernals, to be a plus. very easy to work with. Wbs gets all over the kitchen. and the big cernals make it easy to dry, hell I use a bathroom towel. anyway I would defenetly shake those jars. I chake mine once, only. Hell Im going to do it myself tonight. Im afraid that yours is a little dry on top. I feel that If you shake them, It may help to distribute moister back to the uncolized parts of the grain.The reason I shake my jars about half way through, is so my jars dont look like yours. But yours are kicking ass. You are almost there.You are going to love popcorn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* BabySpore Has A Couple Questions???? BabySpore 1,261 2 05/17/02 05:06 PM
by BabySpore
* Couple Questions cgrossoman 1,660 10 02/18/02 09:02 PM
by Anno
* A couple questions havinfun 1,288 7 05/21/01 05:04 PM
by hatter
* Just a couple questions... GreyMatter 715 1 04/13/02 09:58 PM
by cgrossoman
* A couple questions MrPappagiorgio 822 2 05/08/01 10:34 PM
by sylo
* Re: A couple questions Humidity 817 2 04/12/00 03:01 PM
by Anonymous
* 3 part question plus BONUS subtrate question!!!! Northernsoul 976 4 12/13/01 01:08 PM
by Northernsoul
* couple of questions for first time MaXeLL 995 4 05/13/02 06:15 AM
by StainBlue

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,080 topic views. 14 members, 106 guests and 162 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.