Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Incubation using a lamp
    #1187652 - 01/03/03 10:51 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

The only thing I've had to keep my temps up during incubation is a lamp. I put a layer of paper towels between the lamp and jars so the 60w tube doesn't shine directly on them. This has worked okay but I'm not sure of the temperature... I've birthed a couple cakes already. How can I get an accurate temperature reading on the jars still being incubated when I'm only using a lamp about 8 inches above the lids?

I had no luck in searching :/ I know, get an aquarium heater... I will soon. No money at the moment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Incubation using a lamp [Re: Ayrios]
    #1187662 - 01/03/03 10:56 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

well a lamp might dryout the substr8. so get an aquarium heater. breakdown and spend the $25 it costs to make the incubator its well worth it. couple that with a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer and u got a nice incubator. :smile:

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

#1187671 - 01/03/03 10:58 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I would say that the paper towels are probably absorbing the majority of the heat you're trying to give off with a lamp. Second, if you put any kind of thermometer up against your jars, or at least next to one of them, you should get a fairly accurate reading of what temp they're at.

Good luck,
Jim

--------------------
Don't walk behind me, I will not lead?
Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow?
Just walk beside me and be a friend.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1187673 - 01/03/03 10:59 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Jars are supposed to be incubated in darkness. Look into one of these http://www.myco-tek.com/TEKs/Incubation.htm

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#1187677 - 01/03/03 11:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I know, get an aquarium heater... I will soon. No money at the moment.

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm okay, I'll scavenge for a thermometer. The jars are definitely warmed by the lamp though. Just the specific temperature would be helpful so I'll put a thermo. against a jar. The cakes I've birthed are definitely not dried out though.

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

#1187683 - 01/03/03 11:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Just keep in mind that since you're not actually putting the thermometer IN the jar, the jar temp will more than likely be a few degrees higher than what ever temperature you read.

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation using a lamp [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1187692 - 01/03/03 11:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I would say that the paper towels are probably absorbing the majority of the heat you're trying to give off with a lamp. Second, if you put any kind of thermometer up against your jars, or at least next to one of them, you should get a fairly accurate reading of what temp they're at.

Jim is right about this a 60w bulb does not give off that much heat to begin with and if the jars are in a container a thermometer placed under the paper towels will give you a good idea of the ambient temp. Remember that the jars will colonize at lower temps it will just take more time.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: Incubation using a lamp [Re: Ripple]
    #1187698 - 01/03/03 11:17 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I incubate in a box under my bed at room temperature. It does take a bit longer, but I also weigh the pros and cons and consider the slowness a fair trade to make up for the extra work and space it would take for a incubator. Just my opinion, of course  :grin:

Jim 

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Incubation using a lamp [Re: EthnoJimmy]
    #1187713 - 01/03/03 11:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i agree Jim, when I started out I used a shoe box on top of the fridge, The ambient temp averaged about 73 Deg. and I had slow but easy growth!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleEthnoJimmy
Voyage thegalaxy

Re: Incubation using a lamp [Re: Ripple]
    #1187728 - 01/03/03 11:27 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

That's definitely the point too. As time goes by, you want to see progress, but you also become aware that everything will come by itself in good time. Patience is probably the most valued knowledge I've learned from this hobby.
In other words, if you don't have the money to get the supplies for an incubator right now, then don't. I personally wouldn't risk putting a light any where near my incubating jars either, but that's just me. Put the light out, and walk away for a couple weeks. Come back to a nice suprize  :grin: 

Jim

--------------------

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#1188261 - 01/03/03 03:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Here's an update... I took a rubbermaid container and put 10 1/2 pint jars in it and made a wall around all the jars with alluminum foil. Then I took a paper towel and covered it in black electrical tape and laid that across the jar tops. No light gets in and the black tape really sucks up the heat from the 60w bulb. I've got the bulb 9 inches away which keeps the jars 80 degrees so it seems to be working well.

Of course an aquarium heater would be easier but I don't have the money to spend right now considering I just totalled my car and am selling my christmas presents for the deductable. Yeah...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder