Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Loc: Sunny ol' England
The aquarium heater method
    #4650626 - 09/12/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've decided to go with the aquarium heater method to provide my mushies with adequate heat for fruiting during the coming Winter months. Iam still a little wary of this technique however as Iam worried that the heater will burn out as there really isn't going to be much water running round the side of a typical rubbermaid tub. Is it anything to worry about?

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSubGen1us

Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: cubeladd]
    #4650644 - 09/12/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

in my experience ur worrys are correct.
fish heaters are always burning out.
just try not to let the water run out and u should be ok.

--------------------

Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: SubGen1us]
    #4650733 - 09/12/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Just a little update here...

When I place something in the base of the first box to raise the second to make room for the water, so long as the water touches the bottom of the second box inside (the chamber) will this suffice? As a heat mat would work but this would only sit beneath the base so there should be no need to make sure the water is coming up the sides right?

--------------------
"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
-Marge Simpson

Edited by cubeladd (09/12/05 02:42 PM)

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #4650777 - 09/12/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't worry about heating for a fruiting chamber, unless you are a poorboy and can't keep your house warmer than 50F in the winter.

Offlinedeficitism
woo woo

Loc: Fairfax VA
Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4651014 - 09/12/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I use something similar to a TIT but with a heating pad. Works great

--------------------
"Someday after mastering the winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love, and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire." -Teilhard de Chardin

OfflineKalendula

Loc: Long Island
    #4651105 - 09/12/05 04:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I, too, plan to use the aquarium heater method. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start my grow last week as planned because I was set back by my being unable to attain certain supplies, but anyway, I have a question about the aquarium heater method--Why do you place the heater UNDER the container--why not just fill one container with water and put the jars in the water (not submerging them, obviously!) with the heater? If the ideal incubation temperature is 86 degrees F, than I don't understand how setting the heater to 86 (or slightly lower, taking into account the fact that the substartes emit their own heat--as the PF-tek for simple minds says) and placing it completely outside the container in which the jars are incubating--is effective...?

--------------------
I need this, right?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: Kalendula]
    #4653856 - 09/13/05 02:36 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

He is in the UK, not death valley, peoples idea of "room temp" varies. Average room temps would be about 18-20C there in winter, especially now with the high oil prices.

Anyway, I have a large container, about 2x2 foot square, 1 foot high. I have 2 cheap 3.5 litre tupperware containers from tescos in it which just float on the water. They have cased substrate in them and are fruiting fine with the lids on. The shrooms just hit the lids and bend over. The strain is texan so they are small shrooms. Since the space is so small humidity is not an issue, all humidity is from the casing layer and I just fan twice a day. I have about 3" of water in the bottom with the trays floating over the heater.

Beside the heater I have various other jars sitting directly in the water incubating.
Just keep an eye on the water every time you check the shrooms. I add water once a week, about 1 litre. You could also add a thin layer of veg oil which would reduce evaporation, I wouldnt bother though. I also put a drop of bleach in to stop contams, maybe 10ml.

Edited by blackout (09/13/05 02:37 AM)

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: blackout]
    #4654009 - 09/13/05 07:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ive been using my tit now for for almost a year now.. and my heater is still holding a constant 85 deg. as long as you have enough water to cover the heater you will be fine.  ive had fishtanks for the last 5-6 yrs and ive only ever had one heater go bad.  just like mentioned above just make sure you put some bleach in the water to keep it from getting all funky..

a fishtank heater would be safer than a heating pad, ive only heard bad things about heating pads, like them catching on fire..  unless you go and buy one from a hydro store or a petstore that are ment to be left on 24 hrs a day.  those ones would be pertty good they keep a constant 85 deg i belive and are pre set.  and i think there only around 15-25$.

and as said above, why cant you just sit the jars directly into the water(not submerged) it would work.. but what if one or all of your jars fell over.. then they would all be ruined :frown:

well theres :2cents: hope it helps.. l8r

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4654080 - 09/13/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I have had some jars with very little substrate fall over, if they are pretty full it is not a problem, their own weight keeps them down. My jars with little in them are wedged in the corner by fuller jars so they cannot fall over.

Offlinecubeladd
Stranger
Re: The aquarium heater method [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4658670 - 09/14/05 07:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

willmafingerdo said:
...and as said above, why cant you just sit the jars directly into the water(not submerged) it would work.. but what if one or all of your jars fell over.. then they would all be ruined :frown:

well theres ::ass2mouth:: hope it helps.. l8r

Iam talking about rice cake fruiting rather than Incubation. I think I will go with the aquarium method, only problem is I've just brought a plastic tub with huge sides. It will be big enough to fit in my locked closet (needed for stealth) but Iam worried about the second one making it too high :frown:

--------------------
-Marge Simpson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags