Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: Maverick]
    #11457165 - 11/14/09 11:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DRTMaverick said:
Quote:

dkamp18 said:
Quote:

DRTMaverick said:
I want to build another PC, but the problem is I'm broke, and I need to wait for 8core processors first.  :3

i7= 4 cores, hyperthreaded... 8 processes~8cores

Pseudo-8 core.  However it's been proven numerous times 8 physical units is better than 4 with hyperthreading.

what is your "computer hobby" that you would be using 8 cores?

i assume you are doing some kind of rendering or server hosting...?

are you just like me, and like to go for the gold just to look at the shine? lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: dkamp18]
    #11457204 - 11/14/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

8 cores does seem unnecessary. That's like getting a V16 car... it just don't make sense.

--------------------

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: Neuron]
    #11457363 - 11/14/09 11:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Neuron said:
8 cores does seem unnecessary. That's like getting a V16 car... it just don't make sense.

it's all about application really. some people need the fully dedicated 8 cores, some even use dual processor boards that can run with 16 threads, and use every bit of it.

however, nowadays the computer market relies a lot on the sells pitch of "it's new and has more..." rather than actually selling by utilizing efficiency and marketing to the realistic needs of the majority demographic, which is today starting to turn more towards the hobbyist/home user.

despite the fact that most people will never use 8 cores and a mobo that supports 32gb of ram, they know that those with the means will buy all the above just to say that they have it.

i know they got to me, lol.
I will never get anywhere by building a pc that runs on 1300watts of electricity... overclocking my cpu to 150% of it's rated frequency with ridiculous cooling methods, and having 3 graphics cards and a $300 set of ram (which only costs so much because it looks cooler, lol), but i sure as hell feel better knowing that i have it.
:shrug:

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: Neuron]
    #11457396 - 11/15/09 12:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Neuron said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
Im surprised how small all your hard disks are.  I guess Im a media hoarder, Ive got about 3TBs and only a few hundred gigs to spare.

Ew, 3TB- I would hate having to sift through all that data to remember what I have. Unless you're crazy OCD, there's no way you can remember all the songs/videos you have on there without opening up folders and scrolling through the entire list.

I have a 1TB hard drive, but will prob only use 200gigs total if that.

?  Im not sure what the problem is, I have a movies folder a TV folder (with sci fi, comedy etc), a music folder and so on.  When viewing media the media library searches just fine, if I want a file or program I just use search or just click on the list.  I have honestly never spent more than 3 or 4 seconds finding anything.

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: DieCommie]
    #11457418 - 11/15/09 12:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

Neuron said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
Im surprised how small all your hard disks are.  I guess Im a media hoarder, Ive got about 3TBs and only a few hundred gigs to spare.

Ew, 3TB- I would hate having to sift through all that data to remember what I have. Unless you're crazy OCD, there's no way you can remember all the songs/videos you have on there without opening up folders and scrolling through the entire list.

I have a 1TB hard drive, but will prob only use 200gigs total if that.

?  Im not sure what the problem is, I have a movies folder a TV folder (with sci fi, comedy etc), a music folder and so on.  When viewing media the media library searches just fine, if I want a file or program I just use search or just click on the list.  I have honestly never spent more than 3 or 4 seconds finding anything.

that is actually a pretty common style of the "computer-zen" lol.

which is why so many of the hobbyist computer cases have places for half a dozen or more hard drives, and hard drives in the tera- capacity are mainstream now.

OfflineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: gilesypopper]
    #11457426 - 11/15/09 12:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gilesypopper said:
wow, that's smaller than I thought. I thought it would be into petabytes or something, I was thinking along the lines that we're pretty much not-stop, high def video/audio recorders! It will be interesting to see how quickly computers can catch up with the human brain, though i'm guessing that before computers mimic the brain they'll undergo more general biological/molecular integration. (?). I'm guessing it's gonna be more than a few weeks away though! thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if the math involved here is completely accurate at all, but this website begs to differ:how much information can the human brain hold?

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Lets have some sizzlin' hot computer specs! [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #11457466 - 11/15/09 12:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

but the human mind (comparatively) actually works more like the way a compression program (like winzip) stores info on a hard drive by finding/building/associating patterns and familiar "algorithms" and "storing" the information based on it's identity compared to the patterns already recognized.

so the "storage space" would likely be dramatically reduced.

ignoring the irrelevant comparison to a mechanical storage device like a computer hard drive

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder