Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse
    #11316834 -

I bought one of those cheap indoor greenhouses a few months ago on a tip from someone here on the Shroomery.  It was only $30 and free shipping so I couldn’t go wrong.  This weekend I set it up for my ‘experimental’ trays and tins.  Here are some pics and details.  I am not really a handy guy so this isn’t half as pretty as some of the nice green houses I’ve seen posted here; kudos to any of you who have posted pics and stats of your greenhouses.  You all gave me the ideas.

This is also pretty automated for my first try.  Let me know what you think… or how I could improve it.

Parts:
4 tier greenhouse from EBay ($30.00)
1 Repti-fogger ($50.00)
A few quarts of well hydrated perlite ($3.00)
Three round plastic planter trays to hold the perlite.  ($3.00)
½ medium bag of Polyfil ($2.00)
1 large generic ‘Sham-wow’ ($3.00)
Two large air-pumps (200 gallon fish tank type pumps) ($108.00 total for both)
25’ of air-pump tubing ($8.00)
2 hygrometers ($18.00 total for both)
2 electronic timers ($18.00 for both)
1 basic surge strip ($16.00)
Lamp with 23watt 65k CFL ($26.00 for the lamp and a 2 pack of bulbs)
1 225 LED Grow light from my hydroponics days ($32.00)
------------------------------------------------------- -
Approximate Total:  $317.00

I had most of the parts already.  I have the greenhouse setup as seen in the pictures.  I have the Repti-fogger on a timer for fifteen minute runs on high once every four hours.  There is a 6” Polyfil vapor barrier in the bottom as seen in one of the pictures.  So far that seems about right but I will probably tweak it once I see how steady the RH stays.  Right now the RH seems to float between 88 and 95.

I have two lights on a timer set for 12 on/12 off.  They are a 23 watt 65k CFL and a 225 LED red and blue LED grow light.  The room also gets a good direct blast of real sunlight for several of those hours during the day.

The greenhouse is fed with fresh air by two large aquarium air pumps.  They are both rated for 200 gallon tanks.  Each one has two tubes sending fresh air into the green house at different levels and areas.  The air pumps are in a box layered with Polyfil to make sure there is at least some sort of filtration of the air they suck in to pump out to the chamber.

The room itself has two HEPA air filtration systems in it running 24/7.  One is a seven stage rated at 3,000 Sq. feet the other is a four stage rated at 400 Sq. feet.  The room is only 170 Sq. feet.  The room also has two Vornado fans running on low 24/7.  I’ve never had a contam in this room I could attribute to the room itself.  None of these are included in my price breakdown.

Here are a few pics.







:biker:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11316839 -

Uhm the fogger takes the place of the coolmist?  what about an ultrasonic?  what is the RH?  Looks great better than wat I could build congrats:congrats:


--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

  Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: truskool]
    #11316857 -

Looks good man I just got my greenhouse setup as well.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: truskool]
    #11316863 -

truskool said:
Uhm the fogger takes the place of the coolmist?  what about an ultrasonic?  what is the RH?  Looks great better than wat I could build congrats:congrats:



I am hoping the fogger will take place of the misting.  If I can keep the RH steady and the FAE works as I intended I would be able to leave this alone for a couple days at a time or more.  That is my hope.

the Repti-fogger is an ultrasonic but low mass.  I also have an Air-O-Swiss ultrasonic but it's too much for this little area.

Thanks for the congrats..  :blush:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: Damion5050]
    #11316867 -

Damion5050 said:
Looks good man I just got my greenhouse setup as well.



That's SWEET!  Nice work!  :thumbup: :thumbup:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11316874 -

Have you left the hygrometer in it yet?  What does the RH stay at?  will the fogger take care of that space?  Coolmist are cheap i got mine for $6 at a thrift store better than the $50 fogger.  So it seems that the HEPA works for you I just bought one cause my house is evil for contaims I hope it helps it was $90 that I didn't really have to spend


--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

  Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: truskool]
    #11316919 -

Quote:
truskool said: Have you left the hygrometer in it yet? What does the RH stay at?



Yes, this whole thing has been running for only about 12 hours now.  The RH fluctuates between 88-95, almost perfect.  But I think I need to let it sit on its own for a day or two and monitor it to see if that is consistant.
Quote:
truskool said: Coolmist are cheap i got mine for $6 at a thrift store better than the $50 fogger.



Yes, I totally agree.  But I had the fogger already so I thought I would put it to good use.  I have five of them actually, one I bought for mushrooms the others I had for my actual reptiles (crested geckos and others) but I gave them (the reptiles not the foggers) away.  Too much work.
Quote:
truskool said: So it seems that the HEPA works for you I just bought one cause my house is evil for contaims I hope it helps it was $90 that I didn't really have to spend



I hear ya…  They are simply too expensive.  But I also had both of my HEPA’s and they weren’t being used.  They do help a lot.  I swear by them.  Or is that at them?  I can’t remember.


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11316938 -

cne9999 said:
Quote:
truskool said: Have you left the hygrometer in it yet? What does the RH stay at?



Yes, this whole thing has been running for only about 12 hours now.  The RH fluctuates between 88-95, almost perfect.  But I think I need to let it sit on its own for a day or two and monitor it to see if that is consistant.




For sure just wanted to make sure you knew how to adjust your fae and rh with a martha which im sure you do.  Dam you got alot of extra shit just lieing around, nice.  HEPA filters mini foggers.  You got a couple oz's of weed hanging around? im sure i can take that off your hands lol


--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

  Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: truskool]
    #11316960 -

truskool said:
For sure just wanted to make sure you knew how to adjust your fae and rh with a martha which im sure you do.  Dam you got alot of extra shit just lieing around, nice.  HEPA filters mini foggers.  You got a couple oz's of weed hanging around? im sure i can take that off your hands lol


:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been around (on Earth(and off Earth)) for quite a while.  You end up with a lot of 'Stuff' as the late great George Carlin woud say.

And on the weed, Hmmmm, I have some dandelions and clovers, You want those?  :rofl2:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11316967 -

cne9999 said:
truskool said:
For sure just wanted to make sure you knew how to adjust your fae and rh with a martha which im sure you do.  Dam you got alot of extra shit just lieing around, nice.  HEPA filters mini foggers.  You got a couple oz's of weed hanging around? im sure i can take that off your hands lol


:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been around (on Earth(and off Earth)) for quite a while.  You end up with a lot of 'Stuff' as the late great George Carlin woud say.

And on the weed, Hmmmm, I have some dandelions and clovers, You want those?  :rofl2:



:lmafo::rofl2:
Too funny


--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

  Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: truskool]
    #11317087 -

Hey nice work. But the polyfill and all that at the bottom is a mess!! LoL you could have just bought a drip tray for $15 bucks and dumped the perlite in that tray. When you put your martha in the tray, it sorta seals it up. At least for me it works very very nice, not to mention by doing the polyfill your losing a rack.

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-19722.aspx

Check out the tray, maybe you'd reconsider. :wink:


--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11317146 -

Nuzzle said:
Hey nice work. But the polyfill and all that at the bottom is a mess!!



I was waiting for someone to notice that.  :grin:

I know.  I plan on putting a tray there as soon as I can find one that fits it exactly.  But I also plan on leaving a layer of Polyfil there as a moisture barrier, just a thinner layer once I find something to put in the bottom. 

Thanks for the link too!  Exactly what I need!
:peace:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11317189 -

Nice setup! :super:

I just set up the same GH but I have a Sunbeam Cool Mist on the outside feeding through 1/2 inch tubing. It keeps the humidity at a constant 100% but I'm doubting it's FAE capabilities.



I may have to try out an air pump.

Wouldn't it be better if the pump was out side the GH to insure fresh air?


--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear



The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: nexus1946]
    #11317197 -

Your welcome for the link. However once you get that tray, you wont need any polyfill.. The nice thing about that tray is it come up a little so when you zip the martha shut you can tuck it into the tray. Kinda seals it up.

If you wanna reduce chances of contams, then put some peroxide into your coolmist along with the water... That will help ya a tad. The polyfill I think is just silly. :wink: lol


--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: nexus1946]
    #11317206 -

nexus1946 said:
Wouldn't it be better if the pump was out side the GH to insure fresh air?



Yes, the air pump is outside the GH, it's in a box under the cabinet the GH sits on.  That box has the polyfil and holes in it to filter the air the pump draws in.  Does that make sense?  I saw the idea in another post here a few months back.  It made sense to me.


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11317223 -

cne9999 said:
nexus1946 said:
Wouldn't it be better if the pump was out side the GH to insure fresh air?



Yes, the air pump is outside the GH, it's in a box under the cabinet the GH sits on.  That box has the polyfil and holes in it to filter the air the pump draws in.  Does that make sense?  I saw the idea in another post here a few months back.  It made sense to me.



Ahh, gotcha! I thought you had it inside. Makes sense. :smile:


--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear



The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11317244 -

Nuzzle said:
Your welcome for the link. However once you get that tray, you wont need any polyfill.. The nice thing about that tray is it come up a little so when you zip the martha shut you can tuck it into the tray. Kinda seals it up.

If you wanna reduce chances of contams, then put some peroxide into your coolmist along with the water... That will help ya a tad. The polyfill I think is just silly. :wink: lol



Are you sure the tray will seal up the bottom?  This greenhouse (I should say cheap greenhouse) has a pretty loose fitting cover and just flaps around down there.  I was trying to figure out how to anchor it when I just gave up and attacked it with Polyfil. 

Either way I am going to order that tray.  It makes total sense.  Thanks again for the link!

I already put some H2O2 in the mister, about 1/3 of it is 3% H2O2 each time I fill it.  I’ve been using the mister in a terrarium for a few months that way.  It does do the trick.  I also got a ton of H2O2 from Walgreens on sale for .29 per 32oz bottle.  I’ve used H2O2 for general misting as well and that’s why I ended up putting some in the mister.

You don’t like silly ideas?  :tongue: :rofl:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: cne9999]
    #11317254 -

Yea, I have the same exact greenhouse as you. I mean its not an AIR TIGHT seal, But its pretty damn close. And if you load it up with more perlite then I did, then you might get a better seal. I am not worried about contams as much as some.

As far as your silly ideas go, I sent ya 5 shroom rating for them! haha  :dancer:


--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Edited by Nuzzle (10/25/09 11:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: nexus1946]
    #11317266 -

nexus1946 said:
I just set up the same GH but I have a Sunbeam Cool Mist on the outside feeding through 1/2 inch tubing. It keeps the humidity at a constant 100% but I'm doubting it's FAE capabilities.





That setup rocks!  Wanna trade?  :cool:


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My weekend project - Automating my new greenhouse [Re: Nuzzle]
    #11317283 -

Nuzzle said:
As far as your silly ideas go, I sent ya 5 shroom rating for them! haha  :dancer:



Right back at ya!


--------------------
  Say hello to my little friend.    and...      From Sonny
     
AFOAF's Coffee Experiment  //  Rye Berry Cakes  //  My FOAF  //  I killed my baby Cubes!
Get a freaking camera!  //  Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle  //  I love P.c.Burma!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Check out this fully Automated Greenhouse (pics) Akrobatik 6,450 16 04/27/14 07:09 AM
by TheApprentice
* Simple guide to construct a fully automated green house. (complete)
( 1 2 3 all )
Helltick 23,325 43 12/23/16 10:01 AM
by illadelph
* AUTOMATED REFILLING COOLMIST (or anything) Tippinthru 1,468 4 07/18/06 08:16 PM
by Tippinthru
* Automated Fruiting Chamber
( 1 2 all )
Festivus 12,117 27 04/19/06 11:45 PM
by creamcorn
* New Greenhouse Humidity Problem: PICS
( 1 2 all )
vandiesel99 5,355 20 02/03/07 11:31 PM
by RogerRabbit
* GRAND OPENING! My new greenhouse. *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
HippieChick 13,280 112 03/13/06 02:01 PM
by Roadkill
* I need a model for a mass mushroom indoor greenhouse? *DELETED* Rudiger420 1,493 10 04/26/04 02:24 PM
by Akrobatik
* Greenhouse set-up needs help.
( 1 2 3 all )
PsyliChick 5,400 48 01/26/07 02:45 PM
by Omnicracker

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,069 topic views. 20 members, 393 guests and 150 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.