Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
weird looking cauliflower coral looking growth
    #1123576 - 12/09/02 01:56 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

there was a strange looking cauliflower coral looking growth on one of my cakes that i wasnt sure about so i pulled it off an it definitely wasnt some other fungus or mold because i was completely white with weird holes in it and now its completely blue with a distinct shroomy oder. anybody know what this is or what it my be a symptom of? :crazy: 

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: weird looking cauliflower coral looking growth [Re: fungusflip]
    #1123590 - 12/09/02 02:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've birthed cakes which had a distict growth like the one you described. It was white however. Did you birth a cake and miss this growth? Perhaps it turned blue from being bruised when removed? I'd remove it either way and forget about it. Watch the area for continued growth after removing all of it.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Re: weird looking cauliflower coral looking growth [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #1123618 - 12/09/02 02:16 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

trippingbillies. maybe you can do me a quick favor. i made a post yesterday about "pinning problems need some good advice" or something like that. if you could read that it may shed a bit of light on the growth thing. it wasnt there when i dunked the cakes it definitely grew there since the cake has been in the terrarium. i'm just starting to worry a bit. this will be my second grow and no pins yet. i did, however change my set up a bit from the first time. i saw pins in 7 days on my first grow, i didnt dunk them and i used perilite for humidity and now i'm using ultrasonics. any feedback on my little situation would be of great value to me and hopefully many more shroom problem havers out there. :smirk: by the way the strains are amazonian and tazmanian if that makes a difference

--------------------

Edited by fungusflip (12/09/02 02:25 AM)

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
    #1123633 - 12/09/02 02:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I only did cakes twice but it sounds like your cakes are right on the money. Mine looked the exact same. Fuzzy balls, cotton-like almost. They flushed without any problems. I think this is a sign of good humidity, maybe even a little high. I always had a high humidity when I did cakes, I didn't regulate the humidity then. I think you have no problems. I think the high temps might prevent a really super strong pinning though. Might want to drop the temp and make sure they get good light also.

--------------------

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1123673 - 12/09/02 02:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

cooool! thanx. i have a 1qt jar of ice water in each terrarium now and the temp has dropped significantly so i hope it's all good. i know this sounds like i'm being impatient but i can't help but ask anyway. in your opinion or in your experience should i see pinning soon? how soon or can you really answer that? thanx for the reassurance though. i just don't wanna mess 'em up. i've put alot of time and effort into this and i'd really like to have some degree of success at it. thank you to everyone here at the shroomery i hope to see you all at the pearly gates one day. :grin: anymore good advice would be worth its weight in gold to me. 

--------------------

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1123687 - 12/09/02 02:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

how much light would be ideal??? :crazy: 

--------------------

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1123703 - 12/09/02 02:47 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i also cased some cut up cakes but i really have ni experience with that. any advice? i cased with 50/50 peat-verm and left them covered w/foil for 3 days until i saw signs of the mycelium recovering and 1 or two spots breaking through the surface. i then raked over the surface of the casing and gave them a brief misting. am i doing shit in the right or most efficiet order?

--------------------

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
    #1123718 - 12/09/02 02:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Opened the box! I only use several minutes a day, but otherwise I have them in total darkness. I'd say is depends on your conditions. If yous are always getting general room light then I'm sure they are fine. You might want to introduce a general source to control growth direction. I keep mine in darkness and expose to a grow light for several minutes a day while I'm working on the casing, cleaning, harvesting, watering, or just exposing to the light. It's funny too, at this low exposure rate, you can really play with their growth direction.

--------------------

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1123738 - 12/09/02 03:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

this is all set up in a closet and theres plent of light. there's  a five foot flourecent and the actual closet light so that should be sufficient do you agree? i'll just chill and be patient i suppose and hopefully i'll see some pins within the next week?? i'll do 1 hour of light a day. any comment on the casings i mentioned above. oh by the way the humidity is perfect i'm sure of it and i have the temp down to about 74 thanks to the advice of derrayld last night. all you guys rock. and we're considerd such menaces to humanity? thats fucking rediculous!!!!! :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
    #1123751 - 12/09/02 03:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'd just wait. I know out of the two times I grew on cakes I remember waiting a long time once. Maybe even 14 days for some significant growth.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation