Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
Growth
    #1557574 - 05/18/03 12:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, this is so a newbie question, but here goes. Let's say there were 8 fully colonized EQ cakes in a mythical terrarium. They've been in there for 8 days now with 95-100 % RH (Hygrometer only reads HI above 95% but h2o is dripping off the walls) and a fairly constant temp of about 75-80 degree F. They're sitting on lids filled with verm, and have a healthy layer of verm on top. As of yesterday, weird little white growths popped out of one of the cakes, but haven't grown any or become more numerous in the last 36 hours. Now, I've read the FAQ's and what not, but I'm not sure if I fully understand them. Are those little growths hyphal knots? Does this mean pinning may be immenient? I've never watched this life cycle before, so I have no clue as to what's happening. Also, none of the other cakes have these and they were all inoculated at the same time and put in the terrarium on the same day as well. Sorry if this is a retarded question, but I'm still not entirely sure as to what to look for in terms of primordia, pins, etc... Could someone please explain?

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

Re: Growth [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1557593 - 05/18/03 12:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yes you are correct they are starting to pin were you able to get at least a 10 degree temp drop from the incubation process or were they incubated at same temp.

--------------------

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Re: Growth [Re: FallenShroom]
    #1557748 - 05/18/03 02:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

There is a space heater to provide heat for incubation, but due to room constraints it has to be in the same room as the terrarium. They're on opposite sides of the room, but the temp in the whole room is a fairly constant 75-80. I forgot to mention that these cakes were all cold shocked before entrance into the terrarium.

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Growth [Re: BetMomIsProud]
    #1557750 - 05/18/03 02:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Should be o.k. but it might take longer and might not pin as evenly if there is no temp drop. The cold shock probably helped.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Anonymous

Re: Growth [Re: micro]
    #1557759 - 05/18/03 02:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

first time I saw hyphal knots...which was only like a week ago :laugh: I was a lil worried myself it looked my cake had a rash!....but now here we are and I got massive pinning :smile:...btw mine are eq as well not that it makes much diff

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Re: Growth [Re: ]
    #1559422 - 05/19/03 06:39 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

How long does it typically take after these hyphal knots appear before pinning occurs? It's been three days now and still only one cake showing these growths, but they have gotten a bit longer. Should I drop the temp in the terrarium lower than the 75 degrees it's at now?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Hygrometer, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation