Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces
    #11216509 - 10/09/09 06:32 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Joseph Cambell argues that myth is the stuff of our reality, but that all myth throughout all cultures are pretty much the same. He says that, correct me if I'm wrong, that life can be summed up as "The Hero's Journey" - The Hero is called to action to go on some kind of journey, then there is a trial and initiation period, and then the hero comes out renewed and better. Some people never act on the call to action, and this is when life becomes meaningless, banal and you become a victim for the Hero to save.

What do you think of this idea of being called to action? Was there some obvious sign or signal in your life that pointed you towards a great journey - one with thrills and chills, monsters and angels, etc and you opted out? Told the Universe that that just wasn't the life for a little person like you.

Or do you think this being called to action is bullcrap? That sometimes life is just banal because we are dealt unlucky cards and we never got a chance for life to be THE BIG LIFE

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSmitington
Unidentified Flying Object
Male

Loc: Mushroom Kingdom
Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11216546 - 10/09/09 06:41 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Life's what you make it and who you are, if you are hero inside then become a hero, just believe in yourself.  I personally like to think that I will make a good impact on the world.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #11216568 - 10/09/09 06:47 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
Joseph Cambell argues that myth is the stuff of our reality, but that all myth throughout all cultures are pretty much the same. He says that, correct me if I'm wrong, that life can be summed up as "The Hero's Journey" - The Hero is called to action to go on some kind of journey, then there is a trial and initiation period, and then the hero comes out renewed and better. Some people never act on the call to action, and this is when life becomes meaningless, banal and you become a victim for the Hero to save.

What do you think of this idea of being called to action? Was there some obvious sign or signal in your life that pointed you towards a great journey - one with thrills and chills, monsters and angels, etc and you opted out? Told the Universe that that just wasn't the life for a little person like you.

Or do you think this being called to action is bullcrap? That sometimes life is just banal because we are dealt unlucky cards and we never got a chance for life to be THE BIG LIFE

Joseph Campbell was a religious true believer. That doesen't mean he wasn't right about a few things. However I don't think he understood how the "hero's journey" is motivated in fear of death and unimportance. That's what I think anyway. I've never been very impressed with the guy.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: Icelander]
    #11217145 - 10/09/09 08:55 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Joseph Campbell was a religious true believer.

'I don't have to have faith, I have experience.'

'God is a metaphor for that which trancends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.'

'Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.'
-Joseph Campbell

:shrug:

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

#11217193 - 10/09/09 09:05 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

'So I agreed to come out and talk with John Perry. And Perry sent me some of his monographs, his articles, on the symbolism of schizophrenia. The sequence with which these images emerge in a patient's mind, who's in a deep schizoid crack-up. And it matched The Hero with a Thousand Faces, just like that, step by step.

And so there again I came to understand the relationship with something that had been simply a scholarly interest of mine in mythology to actual life problems.

And it's been pretty exciting ever since.'

'Actually I guess the big crisis in my popular career came in the 1960s when people were taking LSD and my book The Hero with a Thousand Faces became a kind of triptych or mythological map for the hippies.'
-The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life and Work

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: TheBalance]
    #11217210 - 10/09/09 09:09 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I had a feeling some of what he said would come back and bite me. Unfortunately I didn't study him in depth.

I guess my feeling was based on how important he felt myth to be and that hero's journey stuff.

Myths may be deeply inbeded in our psyche but IMO the fewer ways we need myth the better.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this.:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
    #11217252 - 10/09/09 09:17 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheBalance said:
Joseph Campbell was a religious true believer.

'I don't have to have faith, I have experience.'

'God is a metaphor for that which trancends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.'

'Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.'
-Joseph Campbell

:shrug:

I like this.

--------------------
S o m e  T e x t

Invisibleexplosiveoxygen
Prophet of TGMM

#11217281 - 10/09/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

All life is big life. All motivation comes from within. One that wants to be an agent of change will be one. The key is learning from not dwelling on the past, envisioning the future how we want to make it, and taking steps every day to bring about our visions.

Those who tell you enlightenment is a lack of desire; promote stagnancy, attenuation, and failure. Failure is giving up and not trying again, accepting things how they are.:slaves:

--------------------
The Great Mycelium (TGMM) is more than you and me, we are all part of One.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: explosiveoxygen]
    #11217283 - 10/09/09 09:24 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

What exactly is this post referring to?:confused:

--------------------

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

#11217301 - 10/09/09 09:29 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I had a feeling some of what he said would come back and bite me. Unfortunately I didn't study him in depth.

I guess my feeling was based on how important he felt myth to be and that hero's journey stuff.

Myths may be deeply inbeded in our psyche but IMO the fewer ways we need myth the better.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this.:shrug:

Myth is able to communicate a hidden layer of meaning, imo.
Of course useless if there is nothing to be 'found.'
Interesting that the language used is the very device that conceals.
Ancient rulers (social architects) installed archetypes into the collective psyche through Myth.
Mostly unconscious, our inherited mythology is ALIVE.:what:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11217320 - 10/09/09 09:32 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Ancient rulers (social architects) installed archetypes into the collective psyche through Myth.

What ancient rulers?  Can you link me to some evidence of this?

--------------------

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

#11217377 - 10/09/09 09:45 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

What ancient rulers?  Can you link me to some evidence of this?

Emperor Constantine I and the Creed of Nicea...

'With the creation of the creed, a precedent was established for subsequent general (ecumenical) councils of Bishops (Synods) to create statements of belief and canons of doctrinal orthodoxy— the intent being to define unity of beliefs for the whole of Christendom.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

OfflineAlphaFalfa
imagine

Loc: 3 Seconds Ago. Flag
    #11218523 - 10/10/09 01:43 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I like being important because it gives me a reason to not care what people think...its a way out of negative emotions...its that simple and i like it...

Though i am important because my friend thinks i am important...thats it. Im so important she said she couldnt live without me....i believe her too....so thats that.

I like being important because it makes me feel safe from gods wrath...largly because it is hard to undue subconcious beliefs that pretty much everyone out there experiences as reality anyways...

Other than that its kind of fun...makes fun out of otherwise boring situations waiting for a bus or at the grocery store...haha

--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

#11219769 - 10/10/09 10:57 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I consider his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces to be among the most important books ever written.  It literally changed my life.  It's really far out.  He seemed like a precursor to the transpersonal psychologists like Ken Wilber and crew.  John Weir Perry, as mentioned in this thread, also wrote some good books on these topics, such as The Far Side of Madness.  If you are interested, I'd also look into Stanislav Grof and his work with LSD and Holotropic Breathwork.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #11220547 - 10/10/09 02:15 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Stan Grof
:thumbup::heart::idea:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#11220554 - 10/10/09 02:18 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I liked it better when he was using psychedelics. Breathwork and psychedelics would be a great combo.

--------------------

OfflineTheBalance
Boo! Duh.
 User Gallery

#11220602 - 10/10/09 02:31 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I liked it better when he was using psychedelics. Breathwork and psychedelics would be a great combo.

Yessir.
IMO, any technique developed or inspired through the psychedelic experience that attempts to mimic or approach said altered state(s) sans-chemicals is immediately useful and applicable while 'under the influence.'

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
    #11220696 - 10/10/09 02:50 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:

I had a single golden opportunity to be a hero and make something of myself.

I failed.

--------------------
CLICKY!!!
!
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:
http://superftmn.deviantart.com/gallery/

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: Joseph Cambell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces [Re: Wasteland]
    #11221028 - 10/10/09 04:07 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

:haha:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
    #11221159 - 10/10/09 04:35 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:

Joseph Campbell was a religious true believer. That doesen't mean he wasn't right about a few things. However I don't think he understood how the "hero's journey" is motivated in fear of death and unimportance. That's what I think anyway. I've never been very impressed with the guy.

what about Luke Skywalker?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology