Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis?
    #10902085 -

Hello, this is my first time posting. I'm trying to identify these possible gyms (or galerinas or jack o lanterns) that are currently growing in my yard. This is west central Indiana on the border of Illinois.



Habitat:
They were found within a foot to two feet of living non coniferous trees (I don't know my trees very well, I just know these aren't pines, more like oaks). They were found on grass, perhaps above buried roots near the trees. No decaying (at least evidently so) matter was found nearby.

Gills:
Rusty brown on the edges, white along the 'in-betweens' of the gills, gills run down to where the stem begins.

Stem:
Stem length averaged about two inches, sometimes less, mostly around 1 1/2 inches. Solid, not hollow, no bruising yet, and brownish white in color.

Cap:
About an inch an a half in diameter, rusty brown, some were more orange and others were more brown, very porous, rough along the edges and all were curved upwards (possibly due to age)

Spore print color:
(I realize the importance, I will post on this in the morning.)

Bruising:
None (yet).


Other information:
At the very least, I just want to know if these are poisonous so I can prevent my dog from eating them as they're currently all over my yard. Sure, I'd love it if they're gyms, but I'd rather be disappointed and healthy with a happy pet.




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: andnothinghurt]
    #10902331 -

Don't think so Gymnopilius Spectabilis are normally found in dense clusters on decaying hardwoods and conifers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #10903220 -

Bretdaniel, these were found in large clusters near hardwoods, but the trees are still living. Is it possible they're growing from an old root system? There used to be more trees where I found them but we cut them down years ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: andnothinghurt]
    #10903283 -

they are ringless honey mushrooms. Armillariella tabescens

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Mushrooms.Folder/RinglessHoneyMushroom.html


--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog


OM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: bmarley3434]
    #10903302 -

Thanks, bmarley. After reading that article you're definitely right. Those pictures look exactly like what I found.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: andnothinghurt]
    #10903338 -

they are going to start popping up everywhere. if you take a spore print they are white. after you confirm a white spore print they are eatable but many have said they have gastric upset, ive never had a problem and they are quite tasty in some wild rice. cook em up well done! and the smaller unopened caps are best. but watch out you dont mistake the next batch for gallerina or jacks.

OM


--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog


OM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: bmarley3434]
    #10903403 -

Sounds like a pretty cool meal, especially if I like the taste since I now have a plethora of them.

Are gallerinas and jacks pretty common around my area? I've been reading about them but I can't tell if they're in my area or not. When I was hunting around my property yesterday looking for gyms, these honey mushrooms were the only things I could find.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: andnothinghurt]
    #10903420 -

i dont know. you need to research if they are in your area. get yourself a good field guide. like the audobon field guide to north american mushrooms. study habitat.


--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog


OM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Possible Gymnopilius Spectabilis? [Re: bmarley3434]
    #10903430 -

Right on. Just figured I'd ask. Thanks again for the help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Galerina? smaerd 543 9 11/02/09 05:40 PM
by sporeRider
* Gallerina??? KBG1977 3,545 19 02/28/11 10:10 PM
by St. Chibes
* Gymnopilus spectabilis (big laughing gym) identification.
( 1 2 3 all )
wood man 19,095 54 07/28/11 02:24 AM
by redman1
* Identify Gymnopilus Spectabilis Weiliiiiii 2,728 9 10/16/03 01:09 PM
by ToxicMan
* question about blue staining gallerina - Galerina steglichii ?
( 1 2 all )
banquet 16,145 38 01/20/11 06:41 PM
by groople
* Gymnopilus Spectabilis ASloan471 1,850 9 03/23/03 03:37 AM
by Mitchnast
* Hunter needs help with Identification of Poss. Spectabilis, thanks cosmicsea 1,005 3 02/27/05 11:33 AM
by cosmicsea
* Bluing Galerina? Nope, Psilocybe caerulipes.
( 1 2 3 all )
HerbBaker 11,529 52 10/22/09 12:19 PM
by Alan Rockefeller

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
774 topic views. 2 members, 17 guests and 48 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 14 queries.