Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ **Completed** - 15/01/03
    #1061542 - 11/18/02 01:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

This is my first grow log, and my first attempt using dung so you may have to bare with me a bit here and I apologize for the quality of my digital camera in advance, it's 7 years old and uses floppy disks.

Strain: Ecuador
Substrate: Rye Grain
Spawn: 10LBS Horse Dung + Straw + Kelp + Seaweed Mixed then Composted then Pasturized
Casing: 50/50 + Dash of Hydrated Lime

Preparation: I prepared my substrate by simmering rye grains for 40 minutes, which is when I saw some blown up kernels then dumped it all into a colander where it was then strained for about 5 minutes with warm water. I then spooned the rye to into 4 pint jars until the jars were 3/4th full. I proceeded to PC these jars for an hour and fifteen minutes, shook as soon as I got it out of the PC and left to sit over night shaking every few hours or when I remembered. The next morning I used a positive pressure box to crumble pieces of a fully colonized PF Cake into each of the 4 jars and waited until now to continue with my plan, I did use one of the rye grain jars to do a grain to grain transfer on some other jars in the pressure box as well.

Date: 11/17/02
Here are the jars I innoculated with Ecuador using a pf cake to rye grain transfer, after being shaken vigorously (11/02/02 is the date on the jars for those of you who cannot decypher my encrypted printing):

I would say that these jars have gone fairly slow for the 2 week period, i felt  the fact that they were innoculated with mycelium from a pf cake would speed up colonization. I chose to spawn them today because well.. I was just tired of waiting and as I saw it every grain had at least a little mycelium on it so I went ahead and made the next move:

Here you can see the table I worked on for the next few steps, with one of two 5LBS bags of pasteurized dung (the other bag was 'indisposed' for this photo shoot I guess) sitting on it:

This is a confusing, as well as bad picture, of the terrarium I?m going to put my dung into. It goes something like this; I don?t have a terrarium small enough to make a 6? layer of dung, or rather I don?t have enough dung to make a 6? layer in any of my terrariums so I ghetto rigged a cut up double layered black garbage bag, which was inspired directly from ?Bulk Neglect Report?, to cut my terrarium in half. Basically it is just a complex system of duct tape applied to the walls of the terrarium. There are better pictures of it later on in the log, I also take out the stuff in it in this picture later on, but here is a taste:

Here, if you can see black on black (which I doubt you can), you can see me starting to break apart the first few pieces of pasteurized dung into the black garbage bag to spread them out evenly:

After shaking and breaking apart the kernels in the first jar I dump the grain into the first layer of dung and ?mix it all about?:

In this picture I?m mixing the grain and dung together with my hands (on another note I washed quite thoroughly before I did this). I did this and the last two steps three more times.

I layered down a nice thick bed of rye grain on top of the first 3 layers:

After applying the rye grain sheet, I put a nice inch thick quilt of dung over top of the whole lot. Using the power of Photoshop I can make one of my shitty cameras pictures not completely black and show you basically what it looks like too.

Here I'm giving the bin a nice ?spray down? to raise humidity before the big spawn colonization sleep.

Ahh there she is, all wrapped up in her nice warm electrtic blanket keeping a her at a balmy 85f with a humidity floating somewhere around 90%+.

I will update again when there are signs of colonization on the top dung layer.

I havn't slept in 48 hours and I'm thinking that this may have caused me to make some errors in my writeup, or while I was working. I hope this doesn't screw things up too bad, time to hit the couch  :cool:

11/20 Update:
Ahh it is good to have colonization  :smile:
Seeing as how it's been two days, I pretty much did most of the original work on the verge of it being monday, and I'm starting to see colonization on the top of the casing so I'm gonna rule out any major contamination problems. The mycelium coming through is nice and rhizomorphic, way more than it was in the rye grain jars. I have noticed that the surface is bearly even at all, it slowly grades down from one side to another, I pushed the bag in abit to compensate but it didn't fix it entirly so this may screw up my casing situation so I'll definatly have to do some patching once I cross that bridge.
Heres a pic of the progress, you can't see some on the far left side because the garbage bag side is pushed in slightly.

11/21 Update:
Colonization is comming along, I dunno if I could give it a % yet but it does look good and rhizo :cool:

11/23 Update:
Hmmm lets just post on how this is comming along, turns out my digi cam is just fine and I was just using bad floppy disks... god damned cameras half a decade old  :wink:

Nice closeup of the mycelium growth, looking nice and rhizo  :laugh:

11/25 Update:
Hrmm... not 100% colonization in 7 days like I was hoping, but it should be done in the next couple of days. Then ready to case :laugh:

11/28 Update:
Well.. I dunno weather this is 100%... never really been there before... I guess I could case it now, if anyone has any input lemme know. I'll go check out some other peoples logs and what they considered 100% to see if I should case it now and lower the temperatuer.

11/30 Update:
Well I let it sit for a couple more days... still not absolutly 100% colonized on top, but damn near. If I get time today I'll case it, if not I definatly will tommorow and post updated pics.

12/02 Update:
Woopsies! Well I had some huge contamination problems so I opted to pull the heater blanket I had heating the dung bin and low and behold overnight I got some pins, didn't count on that. I didn't count them, nor did I take pictures cause the camera is on the frits, but there were at least 5 of em, not much I know but there is no casing layer. Oh well I guess I'll try casing it after this flush is done. I'll post some pics in the next day or so.

12/03 Update:
Some pictures of the pins that have formed without a casing layer, theres prolly something like 12-15 of them there.. not as many as I was hoping for actually. After this flush im definatly going to case it. Maby I'll luck out and all of these will grow really big or something :smile:

Pins:

12/05 Update:
Well the pins are growing, not many of them but they do grow which is good. Hopefully the dung has enough water in it to allow these to grow nice and big and strong.

12/09 Updated:
Welp I think I'm gonna finish this up with a final update. First flush is done and I doubt I'll have much time to update this log anymore, I didn't even have the time to keep this one up to date properly. Anyways first flush of the bin came out to 143 wet grams, hardly as much as I had hoped but pre-mature fruitincg cycle and no casing layer are the two major factors I attribute this to. The second flush is on it's way and I didn't have time to put a casing layer on. Maby after the third flush?

If I find some extra time maby I'll update this again but for now I'm gonna mark it as completed.

12/09 Update:
Haha looks like I found some time to update, this looks to be about the second flush. Still no casing soil, and there more pins than there were in the first flush but most of them are forming on one side.

Flush2:

Same bin from another angle:

Heres a good cluster of pins:

12/30 Update:
Ahh todays bounty was fairly good indeed, harvested scaled out to be 326grams wet. What has changed since the last update is I picked off all of the aborts, and cased with about an inch of 50/50 with lime and increased temp to colonization temp for a couple of days till I noticed pins comming up through the casing soil I put the temp back down and let them grow out. Here are the pictarz.

And there you have it :smile:

15/01/03 Update:
The Dung Bin Shall Flush No More
Welp it's safe to say that the dung bin is on her last flush... there are 3 medium sized fruits, nothing near the massive fruits in the second flush, that have already been soaked in H202 along with the rest of the casing due to the previous cobweb and the now advancing greenies. She showed a couple of fairly impressive flushes for a half 6" bin of dung that had far less than satisfactory temperature and humidity levels.

I'm sure the dung bin will be put to rest after this flush when the contams surface again and cannot be put back with the use of H202. This poor neglected bin did all it could but I believe the story has unfolded itself. The Dung Bin shall be updated no more.

**Completed**

Edited by NixxoN (01/31/03 02:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ [Re: NixxoN]
    #1061580 - 11/18/02 02:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I would have waited a lot longer to spawn you grain doesn't look anywhere near ready, but it should be interesting.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
    #1061596 - 11/18/02 02:12 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yah and I'm kicking myself in the ass for it right now... I'm telling you it's the 48 hours without sleep... all I can do now is hang on and hope for the best.
With any luck my 5:1 dung to rye ratio, as I understand it the average is 10:1, will even out the fact that I spawned prematurly.
OR I do have a pint PF EQ cake ready... I could crumble it up and burry it in the slurry somehow, hopefully not contaminating anythng... what do ya think?

Edited by NixxoN (11/18/02 02:22 AM)

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #1062340 - 11/18/02 11:27 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The grain definately didnt look ready, The whole jar should have been WHITEly colonized. I'd say its up to you, but maybe throwing in a cake would do somthing at least.
ps- a 1:5 ratio is good for beating contams and colonizing faster.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1062423 - 11/18/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i dunno, sorry to say, but i dont think its going to work. your asking for contams.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1062449 - 11/18/02 11:59 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

sorry to tell you but that's gonna contam. i recomend throwing it out before it does and starting over.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ *DELETED* [Re: NixxoN]
    #1063473 - 11/18/02 05:01 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by NixxoN

Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
    #1065643 - 11/19/02 08:36 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

good luck nix

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1066050 - 11/19/02 11:16 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It just looked like you took the pictures of the jars after you had just shaken them.

If you look closely they are all colonized. Its just the fact that after you shake them, thats what they look like.

If you did not shake them, yeah, you might not have much luck. :frown:

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
    #1067302 - 11/19/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well I had indeed just shaken them... I quickly took the pictures of the jars before I dumped them into the mix.

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ (Update:11/20) [Re: NixxoN]
    #1069368 - 11/20/02 10:28 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

*updated*

Offlinedets
higher mind andeducation
    #1072508 - 11/21/02 01:30 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

intrsting to see who wins this race. myc or contams. only time will tell

--------------------
"patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
    #1074528 - 11/21/02 04:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

*update*

Edited by NixxoN (11/21/02 04:38 PM)

Anonymous

#1076331 - 11/22/02 08:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Using your bare hands to mix it up might have been a mistake but it looks like it's working.

Thats Blue's Poo compost from the sporelab isn't it? I have some too and find it works great. You won't even need to case it, maybe after a couple flushes if it dries out.

Nice pics, I wish I had a camera!

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ (Update:11/20) [Re: ]
    #1076357 - 11/22/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It is blues poo indeed, and I think I'm going to case it anyways, wanna get as many flushes as I can from this baby :laugh:
I had cleaned my hand with soap and washed with alcohol before I started touching the compost. I figured it should be good. No contams so far, looking better every day.
And my camera seems to be breaking down at random, taking pictures when it wants to and such. Thats what you get with 6 year old Digital Cameras. At least I can tell people I have a $2000 digital camera, at least 6 years ago  :tongue: 

Anonymous

#1079043 - 11/23/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I highly advise you don't case it. The compost does not dry out easily and you don't need to case it. I've grown out several trays of this compost without casing. One tray I did case, on one side with a very lightly damp verm casing. I got NO shrooms from tath side, other than around the edges. The compost quite simply, does not need the extra moisture provided by a casing. This uneeded moisture will be a downfall, not a windfall.

Here's a pic of the one with casing on one side, 3rd flush I believe and I never got nothin off the cased side at all:

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ (Update:11/20) [Re: ]
    #1079530 - 11/23/02 02:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How large/deep is that bedding? An all vermiculite casing layer isn't exactly what I had in mind, nor something I would consider optimum. Have you ever cased before with excellent results? I mean I can understand you not getting good results from casing if you hadn't don it exactly right, I had the same problem on my first casing of rye grain. I only got mushrooms on the external part of the casing, later I found out that was because the casing was too dry and had started to overlay heavily. Since then I have done a couple more casings with awsome results in comparison, and now beleive that the casing layer can make or break your flushes. Check out this page for more detailed information on casings and there importance.

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
    #1080653 - 11/23/02 11:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I update mad quick y0

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ (Update:11/23) [Re: NixxoN]
    #1086239 - 11/25/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Updated Once Again

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Dung & Grow Log: EQ (Update:11/28) [Re: NixxoN]
    #1094430 - 11/28/02 05:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hrrmmm... lets see here.. updated?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags