Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs
    #10532835 -

Anyone following this shit?

In a case in the US that is drawing a bit of attention at the moment, a court has awarded the RIAA damages of USD$1,920,000 in the second round of a trial against Jammie Thomas, accused of downloading just 24 mp3s from the Internet.

Initially offered settlement at "just" USD$9,250 per song, the jury went away and decided that's not enough and bumped it up to USD$80,000 per song.

I have lost all faith in humanity and the legal system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10532856 -

WOW thats insane ... i use limewire and have about 100 songs o_O im scared.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: ravenshield420]
    #10532866 -

use torrents.


im about to DL season 2 of curb your enthusiasm....come get me HBO.


--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: ravenshield420]
    #10532867 -

Ha, I have downloaded over 15,000 songs.  They can make up any number they want, I wont pay them shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: DieCommie]
    #10532884 -

i'd owe 400 million at that rate...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10532896 -

What kind of fuckass douche bags are on that jury? I would closed fist punch every single one of them in public.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Dark_globe]
    #10532897 -

The music industry is so whack, they are a useless middleman fighting to survive in an economy where technology has rendered them obsolete.

I have no problem ripping them off, as well as the artists who subscribe to their bull.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: DieCommie]
    #10533026 -

Qubit said:
Ha, I have downloaded over 15,000 songs.  They can make up any number they want, I wont pay them shit.



Would they not just seize all your possessions and put you in debt for the rest of your life? I'm actually curious what would happen if you refused.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Tranquil Toad]
    #10533064 -

Quote:
Would they not just seize all your possessions and put you in debt for the rest of your life? I'm actually curious what would happen if you refused.



You would lose everything and go bankrupt.

Better to go bankrupt for however many years then attempt to repay multiple millions for the next 50 years.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10533112 -

bankruptcy does not remove court ordered debt.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10533127 -

Seriously, if that happened I would laugh in the judge's face, regardless of consequence.


--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: rodfarva]
    #10533130 -

Ha, if they seriously said I needed to pay back millions and started garnishing my wages Id move to a third world country, get a new name.

That would wipe out my student loan debt and be a win for me anyway.  :awesome:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: usefulidiot13]
    #10533137 -

usefulidiot13 said:
use torrents.


im about to DL season 2 of curb your enthusiasm....come get me HBO.



Torrents are even more unsafe than limewire.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: rodfarva]
    #10533155 -

Quote:
bankruptcy does not remove court ordered debt.



It doesn't?

Wow this is fucked, so basically you're ruined for life then?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10533164 -

Im all sketched out right now.

:paranoid:

For the last 6+ months I download the majority of my music from different blogs as .rar files. Who knows if that's any safer though.


--------------------
_______________________________________________________

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10533254 -

Putting someone in that kind of debt could drive them off the deep end. People that feel trapped with no escape tend to do irrational things that could endanger others. It could turn someone nice into someone who just stopped giving a fuck.

Personally i would just say fuck it and move to the hills and grow alot of weed. I would just go off the radar. There is no way i would pay that. I would find a way to steal someones identity and emerge back into society living off of the shit ton of weed i grew on my wilderness adventure.

Thats my fairytale anyways lol.

No matter what i really did, i would not pay a cent to the mother fuckers tho. I would get jobs that paid under the table for sure. I would really try to go in the middle of no where once i saved enough money for supplies and just live and grow weed. Putting me into that much debt would actually set me free in alot of ways.


--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: skunkape]
    #10533314 -

Its a pretty dumb plan considering that 0% of the population would agree to pay the fine so Its pretty useless for them to do. Everyone has downloaded at least ONE song, so thats 80 grand right there that nobody would pay. Plus the people that never downloaded a song before would owe nothing, so I'm calling bs on this. Is there an article that says this?


--------------------
They call me Mark

:penguinmonkey:




Edited by œȾȿȝȴɧʢǥ (ȏɟ/ȿɮ/ɷɖ 68:82 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Kada]
    #10533323 -



--------------------


You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Kada]
    #10533326 -

Quote:
Putting someone in that kind of debt could drive them off the deep end. People that feel trapped with no escape tend to do irrational things that could endanger others. It could turn someone nice into someone who just stopped giving a fuck.

Personally i would just say fuck it and move to the hills and grow alot of weed. I would just go off the radar. There is no way i would pay that. I would find a way to steal someones identity and emerge back into society living off of the shit ton of weed i grew on my wilderness adventure.

Thats my fairytale anyways lol.

No matter what i really did, i would not pay a cent to the mother fuckers tho. I would get jobs that paid under the table for sure. I would really try to go in the middle of no where once i saved enough money for supplies and just live and grow weed. Putting me into that much debt would actually set me free in alot of ways.



Good post.

I would sell all my assets, buy a BASE jumping rig/motorbike/camping gear and travel around to the deadliest cliffs, builders, bridges, antenna's etc. and go nuts.

Either that, or just committ suicide.

I hate working as it is, working to pay for a debt is the worse feeling in the world. Working for a debt that is so fucking stupidly inflated ($2 million for 24 songs?) and could never be repaid? I would rather die, tbh.

I would do it in a massively public way though and put all blame towards said lawyers/companies that put me in debt.

Quote:
Is there an article that says this?



I don't have a specific one, just google the title of this thread and you will get heaps of reading material on the case.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Fined $1,920,000 for Downloading 24 Songs [Re: Chubba]
    #10533351 -

This is fucking retarded, how can they expect an average person to pay $1.9 million?  When probably half the country downloads shit for free on the internet.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Downloading music and movies illegally...
( 1 2 all )
MrPink 6,186 34 04/05/04 12:55 PM
by OJK
* Vulture's Guide to Downloading and Burning MP3 and SHN files
( 1 2 all )
Vulture 8,747 22 06/09/04 05:33 PM
by Vulture
* Download Shroomery Picks Volume 3 here
( 1 2 3 all )
Ripple 6,777 40 03/02/04 03:45 AM
by shriek
* My favorite Phish song Quintessence 1,369 13 11/04/09 03:04 PM
by AnonymousRabbit
* 920 Coalition Speckles 1,236 14 08/30/15 11:36 PM
by KamikazeKush
* Melbourne Australia Mushroom Day Event 920 ZenXi6 348 4 10/18/16 01:15 AM
by ZenXi6
* What downloading program do you use?
( 1 2 all )
User Exists 3,648 24 12/21/02 11:45 PM
by matts
* Songs that make you cry..........
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Bullfrog1 27,727 127 09/05/22 07:49 PM
by oursoulsinmotion

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
6,494 topic views. 2 members, 271 guests and 157 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.