Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Loc: United States
My legs hurt after running.
    #10424296 - 05/30/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think I posted about this a while back, but I couldn't really remember.

Anyway, after running around 2-3 miles, the front of my legs absolutely kill me. I've done a little research online and the symptoms/pain seem to resemble shin splints. The pain is in the front of my leg, from my ankle to just below the knee, but it is limited to the front part, meaning my calves do not hurt at all. It's an ache and soreness that seems to be "inside" my leg, meaning that when I touch the front of my leg, there really isn't much pain, it seems to be a muscle ache behind the bone in my leg, if that makes sense.

I just finished running 3 miles after 2 days of not running at all and right at the end of my run, my legs started to hurt.

I also ran on Wednesday and had the same issue, but immediately after running I used an ice pack on each leg and that seemed to help with the aching immensely, to the point where it pretty much went away completely and my legs were not sore the following day. I used the ice pack again today, so we'll see if it helps.

The only thing is, I don't know if this is normal, or what I need to do to find a long term solution to the problem. I want to run, and I want to at least 5 days a week. I've never had this issue before, but I'm running faster and longer than I've ever ran before, also.

I think I may just be overdoing it a bit. I'm fine with using ice packs and heating pads to ease the pain, as long as it doesn't get worse or become a consistent thing.

Does anyone else have experience with this at all?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: usr]
    #10424408 - 05/30/09 09:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Probably shin splints.  I had 'em back when I ran track briefly in highschool.  I forget what the trainer did to fix it.... I think Dr. Scholes inserts + taped ankle did me just right :thumbup:

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: memes]
    #10424927 - 05/30/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You need to strengthen the muscle on the front of your leg...I forgot what it's called.

Spend a few minutes a day walking around on your heels, with your toes raised up in the air.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10430374 - 05/31/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

> The only thing is, I don't know if this is normal, or what I need to do to find a long term solution to the problem.

It is common with new runners.  It is not normal, and it can be bad, especially if you ignore it.  The two common causes are shin splints and stress fractures.  Shin splints usually cause pain that extends up and down the length of the lower leg while stress fractures usually cause pain that is isolated to a single area of the leg.  Consult a medical doctor to be certain, but it sounds like shin splints based upon your description.

If you have shin splints, the pain goes away as you run and the muscles warm up (and stretch out), only to come back with a vengeance after the run.  If the pain gets progressively worse as you run, stop running and see a medical doctor.

If you have shin splints, then you are going to have to change the way your exercise in order to prevent them from coming back.  The primary cause is over training, such as increasing your mileage too quickly.  Other causes are failing to stretch properly before running, failing to warm up before running, running with poor shoes, running on hard surfaces, and running on uneven surfaces.

However, before you can prevent them, you need to get rid of them.  Unfortunately, that means resting for a few days to a week without running.  This is why over training never pays off; you end up on the sidelines and lose everything you were working up towards.  You should not increase your distance more than 10% per week, and 5% is a better number to use.  You must have rest days in your schedule to let your body heal.  Starting out, you should run four days with three rest days.  I run M, W, F, Sat and take off Tue, Thur, and Sunday.  After a few months, when your mileage is starting to increase, you can drop the first rest day: M, T, W, Rest, F, Sat, Rest.

Stretch a little before you run and a lot after you run.  This is what helped me the most.  I stretch for 15 to 20 minutes before and (another 15 to 20 minutes) after each run.  See http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm for a good starting place.  Stretch slow (don't bounce) and hold each stretch for 20 to 30 seconds.  I start at the bottom of my body and work up my legs.  For shin splints, I found the gastroc and soleus stretches to be most helpful.

Another good exercise is to point your toes down and make little circles (20 to 40 of them) in the clockwise direction.  Repeat, but in the counter clockwise direction.  Do this three times a day; it helps.  (Knee rolls and hip rolls are also very beneficial to preventing knee and hip injuries.)

Remember to warm up before your run and warm down after your run.  After stretching, jog slowly for ten minutes before you start running at pace.  After finishing your run at pace, jog slowly for ten more minutes before you stretch again.  If you are running intervals, always warm up with a jog before (and warm down with a jog after).  The only time you can safely skip the slow jog warmup is when you are doing an easy run or a long run (my Friday and Saturday runs) which are both done at a much slower pace than normal.

Also, make sure your running form is good for distance running.  Don't lean too far forward, don't land on your toes, and don't land on your heels.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineusr
Interested.
Male

Loc: United States
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: Seuss]
    #10455729 - 06/04/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I really appreciate this post, Seuss. It's pretty much hit home what I've been reading online.

Quote:

If you have shin splints, the pain goes away as you run and the muscles warm up (and stretch out), only to come back with a vengeance after the run.

That's exactly what happens. When I start off, my legs are a bit sore. As I start to run, the pain basically completely goes away, then comes back worse than ever right as I stop running.

I stretched a bit and used a heating pad on my legs before running, it seemed to help. I've also been using ice after my runs.

My biggest problem is that I need to tell myself when enough is enough. I know now what really started hurting my legs. I ran hard, 3 miles one day, then the next day decided to add sprints into my run. My legs really started hurting after that.

I rested yesterday and ran a little today. I will most likely rest tomorrow as well.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #10458521 - 06/05/09 07:16 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

My biggest problem is that I need to tell myself when enough is enough. I know now what really started hurting my legs. I ran hard, 3 miles one day, then the next day decided to add sprints into my run. My legs really started hurting after that.

I know the feeling... just remind yourself that pushing too hard ultimately ends up doing more damage than good.  It isn't easy holding back, but you have to look at the big picture.  (I'm talking to myself here as much as to you.  I think almost all beginning runners have this problem.)  Remember, rest days to let your body heal are of utmost importance, especially in the first three months.  Always have a rest day after a hard day.  Combining two hard days in a row is asking for trouble.

For me: M=tempo run, Tu=rest or EZ run, W=intervals or tempo run, Th=rest, Fri=EZ run, Sat=long run, Sun=rest

Take a few days off.  Continue to lightly stretch during your off days.  Especially the ankle circles... you can do those any time when you have a few minutes and they really do help a lot.  When you start running again, run easy and avoid hills.  Give yourself at least three months for your body to adapt to running before you start to push yourself.

One thing I forgot to mention, avoid taking pain killers (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) before you run.  NSAIDs after the run are fine, but never before.  If taking pills, err on the low side of the dosage and be certain to drink plenty of water to prevent liver, kidney, and heart damage.  Post run dehydration plus heavy loading of medication can be very hard on the body.  Personally, I try to avoid pain pills.  I like to know what my body is telling me and don't want to risk masking the pain of an injury.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: Seuss]
    #10463309 - 06/06/09 09:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ditto what seuss said.

Just run within your comfort range, take it easy and let a couple months pass. Dont even think about adding milage or intensity.

Rest days are super important too. If im feeling especially vigarous, i've started swimming on my rest days...

Goodluck!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinemonkeywrench
Why Not?

Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: PDU]
    #10472794 - 06/08/09 06:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Stretch all day.  Youtube has some decent vids on stretching to help shinsplints.  You need to deal with this because it can get much worse.  Also Motrin works wonders for the pain.  don't forget the water.

--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

OfflineTurning Left
Stranger

Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: monkeywrench]
    #10473780 - 06/08/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If you haven't done so already, go to a one of your local sporting good stores that specializes in running. I was wearing Nike's and had the same problem then a friend put me onto a pair of Brooks and I haven't had a problem since.  I never thought a pair of shoes would make such a difference but the change has been phenomenal!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: Turning Left]
    #10474787 - 06/08/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Turning Left said:
I never thought a pair of shoes would make such a difference but the change has been phenomenal!

Ditto - pearl izumi's for me.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: PDU]
    #10476444 - 06/09/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My husband swears by Fivefingers shoes.  He loves to run in them.  I do not own any but he loves his.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: My legs hurt after running. [Re: sunflower]
    #10494968 - 06/12/09 03:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

It could be the muscle just building up...

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals