Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnGiL420
Your Momma
Loc: It's hot and dirty
Fast colonizer or cobweb?
    #1014010 - 11/01/02 07:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

(Sorry no pics) Using BRF cakes innoculated half pint jars (about 4 ccs in each jar). GC, AC, and MAZ'S. They are being inncubated around 80 degrees with high humidity levels. I have never used an incubator before and around the fourth day already showed signs of growth? At first I thought it was cobweb and we ended up throwing almost all our jars out except for a couple but decided to keep a few just in case. The ones we open had no contam smell and the slightest smell of mushroom. It is now the fifth or sixth day and the GC is covered in a white but is just now starting to show rhizo growth but doesn't look so cobwebby anymore very bright white. Is this too good to be true or is there most likely contams and mycelia just starting to cover it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnGiL420
Your Momma
Re: Fast colonizer or cobweb? [Re: AnGiL420]
    #1015092 - 11/02/02 04:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am gonna respond to my own post, I think it's mycelium. HEHEHE I guess just lucky it's just growing so fast it's hard to believe true!

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Loc: Florida
    #1015204 - 11/02/02 08:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Check for rhyzomes, also let it fruit. If you never get shrooms, it wasnt mycellum

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1015273 - 11/02/02 09:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Try having a more positive attitude towards yourself and your work. If you done things right, you have more probabilities to have good results, not the other way around, so if you have mycelium it's not luck, it's how it should be.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineAnGiL420
Your Momma
    #1016024 - 11/02/02 04:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am positive.  I was excited as I ever could be.  This is my boyfriend's project and he thought it was too good to be true (and he knows more then me on this) so told me to get rid of them so they wouldn't contaminate all the others but I managed to save a few seperate from in the incubator and they haven't grown anything more but when they were in the incubator every morning I would wake up and SUPRISE so I'm pretty sure it's mycelium.  It's starting to show rhizo strands but was covered in a white coating before it showed.  We also put a lot of cc's into each jar would this be a plus factor in why it's growing so fast?

I'm glad I saved a few of the jars YAY! :grin:
Also there was no smell when I opened the jars that we thought were contaminated and the white stuff was growing from in the center of the jar does coweb do this or is that even another plus factor in determing that it WASEN'T cobweb? 

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1017963 - 11/03/02 10:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

We also put a lot of cc's into each jar would this be a plus factor in why it's growing so fast?

Yes it could be, but you have to consider the water content in each jar. When you are innoculating, you're adding more h2o to the jar, means extra condensation and extra probabilities to help developing contamination, that's why PF tek and other several "recipes" describe an exact amount of each ingredient to add.

In reply to:

is that even another plus factor in determing that it WASEN'T cobweb?

No it isn't. Cobweb can germinate anywhere inside the jar . What is impotant to know about cobweb is that it grows very fast (it can overtake a jar in about 2 or 3 days) and it turns greyish with time compared with healthy mycelium color.
A normal place for cobweb to grow is in the gap between the substrate and the lid but mycelium also likes that place, so green does. It all has to be with that place (that gap) having good conditions for those microroganisms to grow.
Keep an eye on those jars.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum