Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Need some help with incubator
    #1006597 - 10/30/02 01:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ive grown many many times, but Ive always let them colonize at room temperature...now Im trying to use an incubator.

Ive got a large rubbermaid container which I'm using. I set it up with a jar of water with a fish tank heater. I set it up yesterday and it seemed to be fine, temp was steady at 79 degrees. I opened it today and it was full of water. Way too much condensation. Theres about a 1/4 inch of water on the bottom, and the walls and lid are soaked. What are some ways to combat this?

I'm trying to do it the "right" way this time...

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Need some help with incubator [Re: BitchCakes]
    #1006624 - 10/30/02 01:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you could put some holes in the bottom to let it drain out. i've seen this exact same problem before and that was the solution. no way to stop the water from evaporating out into the container.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
    #1006638 - 10/30/02 01:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Put a couple towels insiode the container to absorb some of the excess moisture.

--------------------
Blaze

InvisibleCheeba
the shroomyqueen

Loc: atop my secret mountain
    #1006650 - 10/30/02 01:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If your fishtank heater is the fully subersable kind...or can function horozontally (like my iguana's does)...then this method works great. Get two rubber tubs that fit nicely within one anther....with the bottom tub, drill a hole the appropriate size for the heater, fit a rubber grommet around the heater and then silacone the grommet into the predrilled hole. Next you'll need to figure out something that you can set in the first tub to prop the second tup up and over the heater...so its not setting directly ontop of the heater. Fill her up with water and add a bit of peroxide to keep things from growing in the water. Then set your heater at 86 degrees, she'll warm up the water and voila!! you have a handy, dandy water incubator!!!! no condensation to deal with. I hope this helps out a bit!!!
Love, Cheeba

--------------------
Carpe Diem <*))))><
Theres one sweet whirld out there!!
Now remember, you are unique! Just like everybody else!

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: Need some help with incubator [Re: Bilge]
    #1006660 - 10/30/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This guy up above got it in before me.Well If you want to do it right and not ghetto spend 5 more bucks and 5 minutes and solve any and all water problems.Go get a identical container as the 1st one. place your jars in this, Spray lysol liberaally in it and place the top on it and set aside.Take your heater out of the jar and make sure there is no mounting hardware on it. Make a hole in the bottom of the container near the middle and slide the glass part of the heater inside. Now all the glass should be inside and all plastic paices should be outside. Cuttin off some plastic off the heater might be nessassary. Then just throw some jb weld,silicon, or sealent on it to seal the heater to the container. Then you just fill with water and set your container withb the jars in it inside the water container. This will leave absolutely No condesation and the temp will be more stable due to the heat is comming at it from 5 sides. A towel placed on top of it will hold in heat even better and conceal it.

Edited by resin (10/30/02 02:06 PM)

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

#1007081 - 10/30/02 04:04 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

So your temp in your incubator is 79 degrees, why not try to get it up to the mid 80's? You will notice the difference. Having a hard time getting the temp up in a rubbermaid? Its because plastic (especially at the thickness of a rubbermaid) is a poor insulator, meaning it doesn't keep heat in very well. Thats why you should be using a styrofoam cooler instead of a rubbermaid if you are using the kind of fish tank heater that you put in a jar.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: Need some help with incubator [Re: cheifdog24]
    #1007168 - 10/30/02 04:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Rubbermaid containers work just fine. Set your heater to keep the temp at 84-85 deg. You can insulate the whole setup with a sleeping bag or some blankets.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Edited by Fred Garvin (10/30/02 04:48 PM)

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Re: Need some help with incubator [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1013489 - 11/01/02 02:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the help everyone

I was able to dig out an old 24 quart styrafoam cooler from the basement. I crammed my jars and the heater in, put on the lid, and the temp shot up to 80 degrees in about 5 minutes! I guess my attempts at insulating my ribbermaid bin were less succsesful than I thought. From now on its styrafoam all the way

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags