Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #990091 - 10/24/02 05:32 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

I havnt all together figured out what exactly this is. In the terms it states it is, "The pure culture of mycelium on grain, sawdust, etc., used to inoculate the final substrate." What exactly does that mean? The only other thing I could find was mixing ratios and someone talking about that they used dung to spawn, etc.

From what I understand, Spawning is something you do to spread the mycelium. Such as from agar petri dish to whatever you want to use. Is this in a sense just transfer of mycelium from one medium to another. (Substrate -> Spawn -> Casing, as one possibility?) Obviously, You can't exactly grow from a petri dish, so I understand why you would do this there, but what significant benifits does this have when you are using grains and such? I hear that it is good for mycelium to grow on different substrates.. but is this proven? What other Spawning substrates are there besides dung?

If anyone could answer any of these or lead me to where they are answered, I'd greatly appriciate it. THanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Spawning [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #990141 - 10/24/02 05:48 PM (14 years, 6 days ago)

Spawning is just introducing colonized substrate to a large amount of uncolonized substrate. Straw is another good bulk substrate, and straw and poo mixed together is real good. See when you make a casing, you are providing the mycelium with a moisture barrier for it to fruit from, the mycelium doesn't really colonise the casing layer in the same way that it colonizes substrate (brf, grain) because casing layers are non-nutritious, whereas spawn is nutritious. Hope this helped, I know its sounds a little confusing, sorry.

Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation