Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes.
    #1755839 - 07/28/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I was just wondering if I coud throw a few of my spent cakes in a nice thing of pasturized manure and straw I made up last night for some birdseed to spawn, but I have some left over. Can I spawn those old cakes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1755849 - 07/28/03 11:06 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I thinks it would be useless as a "spwaning " material , but some have mentioned using used SUBS as a casing material . I do not think it would work well with spent PF cakes though .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: tripndicular]
    #1755859 - 07/28/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, i was looking for something to do with them I guess ill just eat them.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1755888 - 07/28/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Could try chemically extracting what little yummy brain juices are left ! :smirk: 
PS try making a small outdoor patch where you dump your old cakes , you never know . myc may have enough energy left to colonize and outdoor patch , but also makes a good compost for veggie garden , if you are into that sort of thing .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (07/28/03 11:17 AM)

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #1755939 - 07/28/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i have posted on this subject before. it is possible to use pf cakes as spawn, i have in the past used a cheese grater to break them up. it works well with fresh cakes. there is a rather high contam rate though, probably due to so much handling.

how spent are we talking about? some people toss cakes after the second flush into an outdoor bed with suplimented straw or manure. this is because rent on terrarium space does not justify keeping old cakes when the space is needed to raise fresh ones.

i rarely use pf tek anymore, even for my edibles, as i have gone on to bigger and more advanced proceedures.

OfflineMrSleep
P. Cubensis
Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: tchyted]
    #1755978 - 07/28/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I've read of spent pf cakes being used as spawn.
-Mr.Sleep

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1756783 - 07/28/03 04:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Before switching to WBS, my friend routinely grated his BRF cakes after the 2nd flush and used them to spawn straw & dung.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: MrSleep]
    #1756851 - 07/28/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MrSleep said:
Yeah I've read of spent pf cakes being used as spawn.
-Mr.Sleep

I read that too.But I also Read that if you use a spent cake as spawn the substrate with mycelium(spent cake) is very weak and can contam very very easy even though the mycelium spread to steril substrate the old spent cake will start to rot so it would be a waste of time to sterilize the substrate and a waste of substrate aswell

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/28/03 04:40 PM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: Psilocybin_monkey]
    #1756864 - 07/28/03 04:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

would be a waste of time to sterilize the substrate and a waste of substrate aswell

Have you ever tried it? Or are you simply parroting what you heard somewhere else?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #1756903 - 07/28/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

so don't sterilise the substrate. you seldom need to, except for spores (with cubensis). listen to dog, he knows his shit.

--------------------
buh

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: shirley knott]
    #1756947 - 07/28/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

But I also Read

so like said I READ IT dog.

and 2nd flush cakes are not "SPENT" dog you should get at least one more flush out of them

spent means no more flushes

Quote:

Have you ever tried it? Or are you simply parroting what you heard somewhere else?

let me ask you about your how do you know it will work have you tried it?no you got it off a friend so what are talking about dog

Quote:

Before switching to WBS, my friend routinely grated his BRF cakes after the 2nd flush and used them to spawn straw & dung.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Edited by Psilocybin_monkey (07/28/03 09:23 PM)

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1757608 - 07/28/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

so don't sterilise the substrate.

SK i'm sorry but I disagree with you on that one
each time I never sterilized my substrate I got contams cobweb,trich .I know the more steril you are in mushrooms the better even if you think it's not needed.Some people take showers, pull hair back,Clean cloths ect...before handling anything to do with mushrooms all it takes is a microscopic contam to trash you batch.I know this from experience and also read it from the top mycologist In the world and also in books and movies ect...

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#1757698 - 07/28/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

whoa dude chill out. thanks for all of the input guys. Already made up some WBS jars so it doesnt seem like ill be using the spent cakes. Ill just make some tea out of the cakes. Thanks again.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1757857 - 07/28/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah I should chill out it's that I don't like when people saying i'm  "parroting" info when they themself used a friends tek and then have somebody tell me to listen to him.I ran into the same problem on a different post(same people) also today and let that one slide this one I had to say something.

sorry everybody if I got out of hand.

good luck with the tea MycoCakeEater:)

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#1757875 - 07/28/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey thanks. I would love to have little tea party. :cool: you would be invited.

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

#1757927 - 07/28/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hahah sounds good, you can count me in :thumbup:

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1759306 - 07/29/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

let me ask you about your how do you know it will work have you tried it?no you got it off a friend so what are talking about dog

I wasn't trying to sound like an asshole Psilocybin_monkey. It comes naturally. "Parroting" was a poor choice of words on my part.

BTW, my friend and I are very close. So close that we are almost the same person.  :smirk: He's just too paranoid to post about his cultivation for himself.

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Making Spawn out of Spent Cakes. [Re: dog]
    #1760383 - 07/29/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

AFOAF once had a bunch of extra sterile popcorn from overestimating the amount he needed. He crushed up five spent cakes (third flush, they could have had a tiny fourth, but he calls that spent) in a big container with the popcorn.

The popcorn actually colonized amazingly quickly, but around the time it would have started to pin, trich took over.

AFOAF thinks that while it's not a bad idea to try, the liklihood of contams makes it not worth putting much effort into.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck