Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Direct Light on Mycelium
    #1639215 - 06/17/03 10:23 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry in advance for length :blush:

Hi guys ? a foaf wanted me to ask a really noob question based on a really stupid thing she did.  She recently began her very first cultivation project.  She got an ecuador strain syringe, made the substrate, sterilized, and inoculated with no problem.  She inoculated three weeks ago today.  In some of the research she did before she started, she read that mycelium eats substrate best when its about 86 degrees.  She has one of those desk lamps that you clip onto the edge of a desk ? so she thought that warming them with the lamp would be a good idea.  Unfortunately, she shone the light on the jars/mycelium directly, and it was several days before she realized that the direct light on the mycelium wasn?t a good idea.  The mycelium/substrate began to pull away from the jars where the light was shining most directly on them, and there were strange orangish/yellowish spots on the outside of the cakes that looked like it could be exposed vermiculite.  Once she realized that the direct light was bad, she immediately put a folded blanket over the jars, and continued with the heating process (shining the lamp on the blanket a few times a day and keeping an eye on the temp).  The mycelium looks much better where it once was damaged from the light, but they don?t look like a solid white like other areas of healthy mycelium look.  It looks like a pale fuzzy white growth over the substrate cakes, while other areas are healthy and solid white (you can see some pieces of the vermiculite and some of the colour of the verm.)

Do you think she damaged the mycelium too much?  Will everything be okay?  There was no pinning or anything, but the mycelium did pull away from the jar and it didn?t look healthy.  Fortunately there are no signs of contamination, and the mycelium has continued to grow and is well on its way to completely colonizing the jars.

One neat thing, though, when she had the light shining directly on the cakes, there was some really neat long and thick rope-looking ?feeler? type things shooting out, I?m not quite sure what they are called.  Hope that wasn?t a bad sign, they looked kind of cool.

Thanks for any advice/anything you guys can give.  Should she do anything special because of what she did, or just continue following the teks?  Btw 6 jars are following ShroomWizard?s tek and 6 are following a guide called Tron-Tek, if that matters.  Thanks guys.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: neutralizer]
    #1639232 - 06/17/03 10:40 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You said yourself that the mycelium didn't look healthy in some places. That's the only indication that something's actually wrong. However, I think your friend shouldn't panic, and just continue growing. There's no reason I'm aware of that direct light would damage mycelium. The only risk is that the mycelium will start to fruit in vitro, which isn't that much of a disaster really.

Quote:

One neat thing, though, when she had the light shining directly on the cakes, there was some really neat long and thick rope-looking ?feeler? type things shooting out, I?m not quite sure what they are called. Hope that wasn?t a bad sign, they looked kind of cool.

No problem. It's called rhyzomorphic growth (the strands are sometimes calles 'rhyzomorphs'), and it's the fungus' way of travelling to locations where there's more nutrients and water. It looks neat, doesn't it? :smile:

OfflinePsychomanium
ultimo
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: koraks]
    #1639371 - 06/17/03 12:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh.. doesn't sound like much of a problem. The worst thing light can do to the fungus is make it fruit. The discoloration could be from too much heat from the desk light, especially since it's an incandescent bulb.

OfflineDionysus
Initiate

Loc: Canada
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: Psychomanium]
    #1639421 - 06/17/03 12:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh, I had similar problems. It may be the kind of bulb you're using. Best thing to do is wait it out a bit.

--------------------
"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: Dionysus]
    #1639432 - 06/17/03 12:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks guys :laugh: she tells me she's patiently waiting for the jars to colonize, and that they are making good progress every day.  Not panicking, just wanted to make sure that nothing was too screwed up.  Should be only a few days now, maybe a week until casing a few of them.  Hopefully there'll be fruit in time for July 4 :laugh: 

And yeah, the rhyzomorphs look really cool :smile: 

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (06/17/03 12:48 PM)

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
    #1639548 - 06/17/03 02:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Your probably all set, but if they have been colonizing for three weeks, how complete are they? Using the PF tek they should be pretty near 100%, if they are drastically slower than that, you might have some problem from that light.Good luck.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: lemunhed]
    #1639563 - 06/17/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The Tron-Tek jars are anywhere from ~60%-almost completely colonized, and the ShoomWizard jars are doing just as well if not better. Waited 3 days after sterilizing before innoculating SW's jars per his growguide, but they seem to be as far along (if not further along) than the other jars and they are really coming along well. Think the direct lighting slowed their growth and hurt them for the first several days, so they are taking a while to recover from that.

The tron-tek jars got more direct light than the SW jars, maybe that is why the SW jars seem to be doing better. Think they all should be ready for casing within a week or less, though ^^.

Oh, also there is one jar that looks like only one spore ever germinated and matured - there is only one area with radial growth. She's watched it since the beginning and there never was more than one radial growth area. Will that jar be okay to case/fruit/eat from?

Also, I've seen a couple negative things about SW's tek, mainly stuff about how he doesn't take sterilazation seriously. I don't see any contams at all in my jars; did I just get lucky or should I avoid using SW's tek in the future?

--------------------

Edited by neutralizer (06/17/03 02:20 PM)

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #1640065 - 06/17/03 05:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Direct light from an incandescent bulb won't hurt the mycelium -- it's sunlight, with it's accompanying UV, that'll hurt it.

What seems to have happened is that the light dried out the cakes a little bit. That's all.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: Sev]
    #1640327 - 06/17/03 07:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Is there any way of rehydrating the cakes while they are still colonizing in the jars? Where the light was shining most directly, it has pulled away from the jar and there is a good amount of condensation on the glass in that specific area. It doesn't look as healthy as the mycellium in other parts of the jar. Any reccomendations?

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #1641621 - 06/18/03 08:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If there's a lot of condensation, I would choose not to add extra water. The shrinking of PF cakes is normal; as the mycelium grows, it compacts the substrate and uses the water, so the volume of the cake deminishes.

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: koraks]
    #1641734 - 06/18/03 10:24 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm no mycologist, but could it be overlay or something like it? Perhaps the heat got too high from the lamp shining on it? If so, is there anything I could do? Should do? Or just let it grow and proceed as planned?

--------------------

OfflinePsychomanium
ultimo
    #1641816 - 06/18/03 11:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Probably the best thing you could do now is flip the jars; it may get the mycelium back on the move. Just be careful not to accidentally expose the cakes to infection.

Offlineneutralizer
    #1644439 - 06/19/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The flipping really helped a LOT.  At least with helping the mycelium to grow.  After flipping, the bottom of the jars finished colonizing ?ber-fast.  Thanks for the tip :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
    #1644805 - 06/19/03 02:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So jars can take 1 month to colonize? Mine are only on there like 3rd day now? :frown:...... first time always is nervous

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: factory81]
    #1644860 - 06/19/03 03:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

whoa month is a while - 2 weeks max for my friend under good conditions (85 degrees).

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: kukusz]
    #1644967 - 06/19/03 03:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

A month is quite long, but if the circumstances are not optimal, it is evry well possible. However, when colonization takes a very long time, the risk of contaminations is quite high, so it's best to get the mycelium to colonize as quickly as possible.

Quote:

Mine are only on there like 3rd day now?

Whoa, steady boy! Three days is nothing, my jars usually show growth after about five days, and are fully colonized after a bit over two weeks, so be patient!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1652483 - 06/22/03 01:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psychomanium said:
Probably the best thing you could do now is flip the jars; it may get the mycelium back on the move. Just be careful not to accidentally expose the cakes to infection. 

Can anyone tell me why it is important exactly to flip the jars?  What does it do?  And when is the best time to flip them in the colonization stage?  Thanks... :smile:

-Shade 

Anonymous

Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: MOTH]
    #1653584 - 06/22/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i have read about people flipping the jars, but i thought they were talking about shaking rye jars. i would also like to know when to flip and what it does.

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Direct Light on Mycelium [Re: four20snakeman]
    #1655102 - 06/23/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

One of my foaf's jars has acquired a bit of contamination...a bit of a grayish type colour has begun to develop.  She hopes that the mycellium will win out, though.

She said she'll case a few of the jars tomorrow as they are ready, and she said thanks for the good advice :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinem0rb
mushroom mobster

Loc: New England
    #1655154 - 06/23/03 02:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Shade and four20, most often a "jar flip" is preformed when one notices colonization is taking a while. Sometimes mycelium "stalls" or just takes a bit to finish it's business. There isnt a set time one would flip the jars, but usually when most of the cake is colonized except for the very bottom of the jar.

As for why you flip... It is to promote gas exchange. You see, flipping the jars causes co2 to be pulled out, and oxygen to pulled in. Just that little bit of gas exchange can do wonders!

-m0rb-

--------------------
"The business of America is business," - Calvin Coolidge

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation