Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards
    #9803058 - 02/15/09 03:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

So a new friend and I are really liking jamming out together, and I wanna take things a step further and give us a complete sound.  He plays electric guitar and loves to make loops, and I play electric bass guitar.

The problem is, all the decent drummers in town are already in bands, and everybody I know who used to play drums or something either doesn't have them in town or has no time to play ever.  So, now we're posed with the problem of not having drum beats besides my pre-programmed drum machine, and let's face it the same beat over and over again doesn't really cut it on stage.

I'd really like some suggestions for some good music producing software to use, doesn't have to be too professional or anything, but I wanna get a good unique sound going.

Ideally the software would have the following capabilities:

--Easy to use (for reference, I've noodled with FL Studio and thought it was pretty complex)
--Able to import .wav files; my friend has a looper pedal with a SD memory card and a USB output, so we can record things from either of our guitars or a microphone and put it into the computer.  Again, not professional quality, but fuck it who cares, this is fun, right?
--MIDI/keyboard support;  I don't have one yet, but I've been thinking about picking up a cheaper keyboard to help with this endeavor, and maybe help give me a little stronger understanding of musical theory

Also, any recomendations on cheap reliable keyboards I'd be able to plug into my computer?

Thanks guys, I'm really excited to have a solid music project to work on :heartpump:

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: circularvortex]
    #9803310 - 02/15/09 04:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There's some good video tutorials for FL Studio here -

http://www.warbeats.com/Forums/tabid/59/afgroup/7/Default.aspx

XLN Audio Addictive Drums has some good drum samples.

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: deranger]
    #9805310 - 02/15/09 10:46 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks!  Downloading that XLN thing as we speak.

Anybody else got some suggestions?  Possibly about keyboards too, or just what to look for?

Cheers!

:bump:

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: circularvortex]
    #9806334 - 02/16/09 04:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

When I was looking into the stuff I found that the M-Audio Oxygen 49 is a good, relatively cheap MIDI keyboard. I am sure other people who have actually used  these instruments would better answer your question though...

I still need to get myself a MIDI keyboard one of these days.

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: Tangerines]
    #9807227 - 02/16/09 10:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ya, I was looking at the M-Audio KeyRig 49 last night, but the one you posted is $40 more and has a TON more features, so I'd probably pick that one out of the two...

--------------------

OfflineBeefWatson
Beefmaster

#9837350 - 02/21/09 07:12 AM (15 years, 29 days ago)

As far as software i began with fruityloops and acid pro,

i'v since grown to other software, mainly now i use ableton live.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: BeefWatson]
    #9846607 - 02/22/09 08:32 PM (15 years, 28 days ago)

I just bought my first midi keyboard:

a Novation REmote LE 25 midi to use with reason but returned it because it was broken.

I came home with a Edirol (roland) PCR M50 midi controller. It seems to be alot higher quality and comes with cakewalk 4 - i paid $175cdn.. I imagine it'll do everything ill need while im learning...

Ive heard the m audio ones are built cheaply + figured id spend the extra cash on a real instrument...

Anyways, im going to be using mine with Reason 4.0 + maybe abletons. Just started learning today...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinex2and2makes5
Fool on a hill
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PA
Re: Looking for a few suggestions on music production software and keyboards [Re: PDU]
    #9849397 - 02/23/09 10:46 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

I started with ACID, its not bad at all. I got a mac and moved on to Logic which is really intuitive and pretty solid all around. I'd recommend either that or protools if you're willing to put a little time into learning your way around it.  As far as keyboards go, I've got the M-audio keystation 61 es, and it's a real solid piece of equipment for a reasonable price

--------------------
Try to realise it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you

MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies