Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Looks like Black Pin Mold (either Rhizopus or Mucor), but it could be Black Mold (either Alternaria or Aspergillus), I can't quite tell from your picture alone. Did you pre-soak your grain to ensure the germination of contaminant endospores? If not try it next time as Black Pin Mold often is transmited via the grain itself.
Some strains of Black Pin Mold are quite toxic. Be careful when removing this stuff that you dump it somewhere FAR away from your work space (and obviously NOT in a compost pile), and that you don't touch it with bare skin (just in case you have any open wounds). Don't sniff it either, as some diseases caused by Black Pin are contracted via the lungs. If you reuse the jars, bleach 'em out first, then soak in soap and water overnight.
It could indeed be Rhizopus or Mucor mold. What did you use as a substrate? If it's rice flour or any other grain-based substrate, I'd say it was Rhizopus. I did a 3 year science project on using plant extracts to kill Rhizopus Stolonifer (black bread mold). If it was a bit too wet, that's a clear invite for Rhiz. spores; plus they're ubiquitous, so contam by that sort of mold is easy. If Rhizopus is the case, be careful with it! If it escapes, it can ruin all manner of food in your house. Plus, if you get it in your airways, if your immune system isn't up to snuff and/or your blood sugar is high, you could get something called rhino-cranial mucormycosis. Basically, those spores hatch in your skull. It's not pretty. I'm sorry you lost your batch. May the spirits of the shrooms shine better on you next time around!
Walk in Beauty, The Green Earth Shaman
-------------------- Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman
"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb