Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

what do shrooms do to your head
    #954410 - 10/12/02 02:24 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

other than make you see things and what not, what does it do to your brain.....i guess you could call them side effects or long term effects.....im just curious....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: ]
    #954428 - 10/12/02 02:37 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms contain the tryptamines Psilocin, Psilocybin (the phosphate ester of Psilocin) and to a lesser degree Baeocystin.

Psilocybin is broken down by the body into psilocin, which is several times more potent than psilocybin. Psilocin is structurally similar to the neurotransmitter serotonin. When you take shrooms the psilocin enters your brain and begins to attatch to certain serotonin binding sites in your brain (the 5-HT-2a site, I think).

Now for whatever reason (no one is really sure yet) this causes you to "trip" and have all the associated effects (hallucinations and the psychedelic experience, as well as some physical effects like dilated pupils).

As far as anyone knows, and there are decades of research into this, there are no long-term physical effects from mushrooms (psilocin). Psilocin, like LSD, is very fragile. It is almost entirely metabolized and excreted by your body within 24 hours and can not even be detected within a matter of days. Psilocin does not cause any known damage to your brain or any part of your body. It is one of the safest drugs known to man.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #954671 - 10/12/02 06:45 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineLOPHO.MP
looker

Loc: Santa Cruz CA.
Re: what do shrooms do to your head(don't worry) [Re: ]
    #954760 - 10/12/02 09:13 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That is a very good question Replica.
Obviously you care what you put in your body and what effects it has. (some people really don't give a shit)

OK. Pharmacology, chemistry and neurology are not my strong point. I'm more into the social sciences, anthropology, sociology etc... So, my point is: there are human cultures that have been using mushrooms for thousands of years. It is very likely that humans have been using mushrooms since pre-historic times.
For me this is the ultimate proof of a drug that is compatible with humans. If someone tells me something about how psilocybin has a molecular nature that makes it metabolize in the brain....etc. etc. it does not mean much to me. However, if I can see that humans have been using this substance for millenia that I can understand.

If you are worried about side effects of something don't worry about mushrooms. If I were you I would be more worried about things that humans have not been exposed to for thousands of years. For example: synthetic chemicals in our food, and all this other shit that is just being invented.

So, think about the side-effects of the artificial flavors in that neon colored candy you are eating and don't sweat the mushrooms!

Good Luck!

--------------------
---Still Searching---

OfflineArisEve
My Chronic

Loc: Use a GPS if ya wanna kno...
Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: trendal]
    #954850 - 10/12/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You cant go wrong when you induldge in the more natural things in life... They dont grow for shits... They grow because they were ment to be eaten! shroom on heeh.

--------------------
Simple pleasures in life are only to momentarily distract you from the obviousness of lifes reality...

-ArisEve

InvisibleNox
Psychonaut
    #956460 - 10/13/02 05:01 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
[The above post is made by a fictional character and is intended for amusement only.]

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: what do shrooms do to your head(don't worry) [Re: LOPHO.MP]
    #956631 - 10/13/02 09:13 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

For me this is the ultimate proof of a drug that is compatible with humans.

Alcohol, tobacco and opium are all pretty ancient too. Although tobacco in it's natural form doesn't appear to cause the same problems cigarettes do and opium is pretty harmless apart from the possibility of addiction.

Having said that I think psilocybin/psilocin are two of the safest compounds there is.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: ArisEve]
    #956935 - 10/13/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Don't think that just because something is "natural" it is safer than "artificial"...

Datura is natural but it is also extremely dangerous and deaths from datura poisoning are not all that uncommon. On the other hand there is LSD which is synthetic but like psilocin has never been found to cause damage to the human body.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#957032 - 10/13/02 01:34 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

r

Edited by shaos (04/09/11 08:33 PM)

Anonymous

Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #957047 - 10/13/02 01:40 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

That doesnt count, he was a freak!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #957147 - 10/13/02 02:22 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Do we really know the LSD caused this centrum? Sounds pretty unlikely seeing as LSD is thousands times less toxic to the human body than aspirin.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinedjjoel
trance dj

Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: Xlea321]
    #957192 - 10/13/02 02:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Shrooms, Alcohol, Weed, Opium.. drugs of this kind are perfectly fine for you if you use them in moderation. Too much of any drug is not good, but not enough is also not fun :P Just keep that in mind and youll be fine!

--------------------
gg!

OfflineTrauM
Poker Player

Loc: North America
    #957633 - 10/13/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yes correct shrooms are one of the safest drugs known to man, but only physically (brain, body, health).

That does not account for mentally (thoughts, actions, procedures), lets not forget how equal they both are for safety issues.

Peace

--------------------
Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practise to deceive..

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: what do shrooms do to your head [Re: TrauM]
    #960153 - 10/14/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

Yes correct shrooms are one of the safest drugs known to man, but only physically (brain, body, health).

That does not account for mentally (thoughts, actions, procedures), lets not forget how equal they both are for safety issues.

Entirely true. The danger lies in how your mind (psychologically speaking) handles the trip. Some people probably just can't handle the psychedelic experience.

In reply to:

not true. i was reading that some kid with an adrenal gland tumor ate some LSD without knowing he had the tumor, and he died when his adrenal gland produced too much adrenalin. the autopsy found this out.

Do you have a reference for this? It's very possible to die from too much adrenalin, that's what happens when a person "scares themself to death". Too much adrenalin can easily cause a heart attack along with many other problems. However the LSD would not be the direct cause of death. He probably had a bad trip and got scared. Fear causes release of adrenalin. If his adrenal gland was malfunctioning then I suppose it's possible that the trip scared him to death.

It's not the same thing as LSD being toxic or harmful in any physical way.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: trendal]
    #960772 - 10/14/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#960953 - 10/14/02 08:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

MDMA does cause massive release of serotonin as well as inhibition of reuptake, so yes you lose a lot of serotonin when you do ecstacy which is why some people feel depressed, or hungover, afterwards.

Psilocybin (mushrooms) and LSD do not cause a release of serotonin and they do not inhibit reuptake. They act like serotonin in the brain and attatch themselves to some of the same receptors as serotonin. Because no extra serotonin is released and reuptake still functions you will not lose much (if any at all) serotonin while on these drugs.

Chemically they are very non-toxic and do not damage cells in the body. Some experiments have shown possible chromosome damage from LSD, but the concentration of LSD placed directly in blood required to cause the damage was far above the levels of asprin or caffeine that cause the same damage. Medically these chemicals are classified as non-toxic.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: trendal]
    #961123 - 10/14/02 09:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #961673 - 10/14/02 11:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I think the latest research has shown that the idea of "E releasing serotonin" was just bad science that the government latched onto. There are people who have used E 1000 times plus who have more serotonin than people who have never taken E. Serotonin appears to naturally vary in different people.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#963082 - 10/15/02 01:16 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

if you use shrooms too often, sometimes some individuals develop curley hair

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#963098 - 10/15/02 01:19 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Your brain produces more serotonin all the time, so just because a person has more serotonin than someone else doesn't mean that person hasn't released a hell of a lot more serotonin.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale