Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: JaComet]
    #9543684 - 01/04/09 12:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

This is an argument of serious science vs. esoteric beliefs. Beneficial in fungal cultures or not, charcoal is NOT steady state emitting IR radiation. That's just absurd.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: German Kahuna] * 1
    #9545282 - 01/04/09 05:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Are you sure GK?  I sometimes dream of ghosts speaking to me about information they psychically steal from secret Russian KGB scientists and they tell me that this charcoal IR emission research is quite reliable.

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: fastfred]
    #9549421 - 01/05/09 04:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

By GOD!!  Fastfred, I think you’ve GOT IT!

Out of the 3,600 some odd degreed scientists working at Taiwan's government-funded Industrial Technology Research Institute, there MUST be some infiltrators and agents.  These agents report to their handlers on the mainland who report to their Masters in Moscow  who keep it a State Secret that your  liberty loving ghost friends steal for the good of the Free World.

Why oh why didn’t I see this before?

It’s a COMMIE  NEST  CORN  SPEERIZE

Meanwhile, back on the farm,: I’m going to try and find more info on Stamets’ work regarding the dielectric relationship between fungi and insects.

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

#9549971 - 01/05/09 08:43 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Look people. I quoted earlier on that  Bamboo Charcoal absorbs and re radiates infrared.

“Eco-fabric possesses the following properties:

1. Absorption and emission of Far Infrared Radiation
Bamboo-carbon nano particles can absorb far infrared radiation from the environment, and emit them to help in cell activation, promotes blood circulation and metabolism in the long run.”
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8016404#Post8016404

The best I can discern from available sources is, depending on the bamboo strain and processing particulars, the stuff re-radiates at up to 87% efficiency.

That’s about all I have to say on the F.I.R. subject.

Except, Japanese white charcoal  made from Ubame Oak (Quercus phillyraeoides) is second behind Bamboo in F.I.R emission for generating negative anions. 9 parts by weight of  Oak = 7 parts of Bamboo, in overall “output”.  The mechanism is: F.I.R. interacting with ambient humidity to produce neg charge.

OK. Is “Re-Radiation” an acceptable term?

Anyway, current interest is in the electrical properties and potential as applies to bacterial inhibition and cellular transporation.

Heaven forbid I start a thread on Paramagnetic or Monopole magnetic influence or (Woo-Woo of  all Woo-Woo’s)  Vortex Energy.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #9551287 - 01/05/09 01:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Bamboo-carbon nano particles can absorb far infrared radiation from the environment, and emit them to help in cell activation, promotes blood circulation and metabolism in the long run.”

Translation: When you apply non-contact heat (aka infrared radiation) to the substance it warms up...  Then, by virtue of being warm it will radiate infrared heat.  Further, this heat can promote circulation and metabolism.

It's rubbish.  It's just a restatement of the obvious.  It's long been known that a hot pack or electric blanket will promote circulation and that this also increases metabolism.

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: fastfred]
    #9553873 - 01/05/09 08:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

^^ what he said.

thanks fred, you put into words exactly what i was too lazy to try and think up to type.  this thread should have remained a year old.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Yrat]
    #9554906 - 01/05/09 11:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

this is all very interesting....

I have found chunks of coals leftover from burning wood pallets for outdoor pasteurization get mixed up in my straw.  The chunk gets fully colonized throughout and the mycellium seems to like it much. 

Perhaps I might try a small straw log experiment with powdered coal water as the straw soak. vs unsterilized straw log with pleurotus.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineJonat
Stranger
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #9556897 - 01/06/09 10:07 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Charcoal (activated carbon) is recognized as having a very high porosity and CEC (cation exchange capacity). In soil or simulated soil media, this can be very beneficial.

I also suspect that charcoal (and coffee) affect the redox potential of the growing media. In nature, a heavy rain will deprive the soil of oxygen, and lead to reducing conditions ... a whole different set of chemical reactions in a reducing environment. Iron rusts and turns red in an oxidizing environment, but its form changes and it turns black in a reducing environment. The redox state affects the solubility of compounds, and enzymes need metals with a particular redox state.

Infrared?  No evidence that charcoal is special.

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Jonat]
    #9562639 - 01/07/09 05:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Buckeye.

In my experience adding low fired charcoals to substrates and/or casing  layers  keeps everything “sweeter”.  Hard to quantify. A gardener would relate. (Bio-Char is the “Green” catch phrase)

I presume you are not planning on pasteurizing the charcoaled straw.  I’ll be interested to see your results if low fire has enough  “umph” to favorably effect  contam issues.

The interesting stuff happens with electrically conductive charcoals.

Jonat.

“Redox”. Thanks. I was trying to remember the term. Will help in my searches.

I would expect the abundance of available negative ions, provided by certain high fired charcoals, to be beneficial to the overall metabolism of mycelium, aiding in cellular transpiration. Given the electrical conductance and resulting weak force electrical field we got electroporation maybe?

As far as F.I.R. properties of certain charcoals go (and minerals and ceramics), accept what you will. I’ve finally got a line on Dr. Rustam Rakhimov which is bearing fruit for me.

All the best, everyone.

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”
HAMLET Act 1. Scene V - By Sir Francis Bacon, a.k.a. William Shakespeare

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

#9562865 - 01/07/09 07:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I found an interesting video demonstration of  ambient temperature Far-Infrared emitting ceramics. Or so the claim.

I have no financial interest in the products, but this is a commercial demonstration. You Tube vid  6:53.

Edited by JaComet (01/11/09 03:08 AM)

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9562872 - 01/07/09 07:32 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I'd be careful with using charcoal, generated with low heat, like that 'bio-char' stuff. Is contains loads of organic molecules, which are poisonous and cancerogenous, like polyaromatic carbohydrates.

Carsten

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Mycelio]
    #9564172 - 01/07/09 12:16 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The charcoal i am going to use is from a very hot pallet fire.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

#9573303 - 01/08/09 08:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Here is my experiment.  I placed about 2 gal of warm water in a unclean (from outside with leaves and junk in it) bucket and added about 2 cups of powdered regular charcoal ground by mortar and pestle.  The straw was submerged in the char water for 7-8 hours, drained and with clean hands inoculated with 2 qts rye of malabar cubensis, placed in a clear new plastic trash bag, and stabbed about 30x for vent and drain.

Now it is tomorrow and the grain looks like its recovering as it should.

--------------------

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: German Kahuna]
    #9603393 - 01/13/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well, colonized for 5 days then hay seeds sprouted of course and bacteria set in, so I had to toss.

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

#9612973 - 01/15/09 05:45 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That’s about what I expected, given the parameters of your experiment. Thanks at least for giving it a go.

My experience is in agar and small casing mixes. I’ll continue to use it and experiment. Perhaps this just something for me.

I’m currently running Bamboo Charcoal plates subjected to various magnetic influence and those with magnets are markedly faster growing than those without.

It’s an electrical universe after all.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale