Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebjkroll
Addict

Loc: Detroit
Casing Method
    #938488 - 10/07/02 10:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, bit of a newbie question, but I've done my reading for the past few months, with few insights on this topic...

Before I ask, heres my setup that im going to be using for P. Cubensis Ecuador.
1/2 pint jars, PF Resivoir Tek. The terranium im going to be using is similar to a large recycling bin (large, plastic container, lid on top). I wanted to add vermiculite all along the bottom, but I heard perlite kept the humidity higher.. I'll be using a cool spary humidifier along with a time gauge to retain the correct amount of humidity.

So heres my question, what exactly is casing for? I was reading a previous users log, and it showed he added perlite to the bottom. He mentioned "breaking up a cake", and I assumed he spreaded it along the perlite. What benefits do you get by having mycelium grow on the bottom perlite? Do you just sit the cakes on top of the perlite? I've read so many different casing tek's im not sure what makes sense anymore.

--------------------
"Everybody who's famous sucked the dick to get where they are today.
The only difference between us and them? We swallowed it." - Jimmy Urine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecnidarium
radiallysymetric

Loc: benthic
Re: Casing Method [Re: bjkroll]
    #938558 - 10/07/02 06:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

casing is mostly for bulk. You should probaply stay away from it till you get a success or 5 with regular PF Tek. Most consider it to ba an advanced method.

A cake is broken up and mixed with a larger amount of stuff (like poo or straw). Casing is the covering applied to keep moisture in and contaminations out.

That said, it is generally advised not to put your cakes directly on perlite. Most put it on lids or foil or a rack. Got to PF tek and follow it as closely as possible for your first couple of grows. And keep reading here as mucha s you can.

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: Casing Method [Re: bjkroll]
    #938563 - 10/07/02 06:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

you have the wrong Idea as to what casing is, read:

this

and this too

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: Casing Method [Re: cnidarium]
    #938609 - 10/07/02 07:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

casing is mostly for bulk. You should probaply stay away from it till you get a success or 5 with regular PF Tek. Most consider it to ba an advanced method.

I am tired of this nonsense. I want to be the first person to say that starting off with a BULK SUBSTRATE with QUART jars and CASING with POO is NOT freaking advanced. I don't know why everyone came to believe that one must start out with PFTEK and cakes, but this is simply incorrect.

On my first grow attempt I did both millet bulk substrate and 1/2 pint pftek jars. I found the pftek jars to be much more time consuming and detail oriented.

Does anyone else agree with me? I can understand that you face a higher rate of contams, but if this is the case simply inoculate a few more jars for precaution.

Let's demystify bulk substrate and casing once and for all!

Offlinewavycap
Cyan Lover
Re: Casing Method [Re: f8L]
    #939205 - 10/07/02 10:44 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree.

Personally since I started with casing and went to PF I don't see it that way either.

However, PF does seem quicker and has a lower startup cost. More efficient for space and intermitent hobbists... IMHO

--------------------
anyone have a sporeprint for a bioluminescent mushroom species? ( other than foxfire ) A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...-Willie Wonka

OfflineFungusBoi
Hedonist
Male
Re: Casing Method [Re: wavycap]
    #939243 - 10/07/02 10:58 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh man, i'd kill for a bioluminant species!!! how hard is it to get foxfire?

--------------------
"Never rest for even a second, because a second becomes a minute, a minute becomes an hour, a hour becomes a day, and a day, a lifetime" -PTEI

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Casing Method [Re: f8L]
    #939285 - 10/07/02 11:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The raccoon started off with 4 pint cakes, in one batch. Those were the last cakes he ever did.

He went straight to grains and/or bird seed, in quarts. Lots of them. Then, G2G transfers, then bulk substrates.

It is not so "advanced". But, one will find it has it's pit falls.

As you learn by trial & error.

The errors can easly out number the winners, by far.

It took building a clean room enviroment, learning air filtation, air exchange, gas exchange, air filters, hepa filters, flow hood, 3M face mask, sterile procedures, acquiring an AA PC, humidity test eqt, learning agar, isolates, cloning, learning how to judge & test moisture content of grain or bird seed spawn, mixing, & pasturizing both substrates & casings, learning about & how to test pH, spawn run temp & humidity, lighting & timers, fruit run temp & humidity, harvesting, patch casing, how NOT to get gnats,  fly's & mice in the mix, then printing & storage.

No doubt, I left out several aspects, that you LEARN.

Anybody with an average IQ can do it. If they want to invest the time, labor, patience, funds & have the tenacity to stick with it, for several months, almost full time.

None of that is "advanced". The raccoon is only a grasshopper. It took him about 6 months to get to the stage where he can realize a 95% success rate at bulk cult.

Others results may differ. You might get lucky, the first go around.

Average out the next 100 go arounds and see where you stand, without all that trial & error learning curve. It will not be 95%, no doubt. At least IMHO.

6T  :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinecnidarium
radiallysymetric

Loc: benthic
Re: Casing Method [Re: FungusBoi]
    #939317 - 10/07/02 11:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My logic for suggesting staying away from bulk is that there are a greater number of possible variations. There is a greater amount of information on pf tek as well as more pictorials of how to do it. Everyond has their own bulk tek that works best for them. And they got there thru trial and error.

I agree that "advanced" is too strong of a term. Isn't PF foolproof if followed to the letter? This is a first grow. I stand by my advise to do a few PFs first.

I have always gotten a friut off of a cake. The yield may have been shitty but I cant say the same for cased grows.

Offlinewavycap
Cyan Lover
Re: Casing Method [Re: FungusBoi]
    #939494 - 10/07/02 12:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know where on the planet you are but here in the midwest in the fall do this:

Night Temp less than 70 or 70 degrees F
No moon or before moonrise
get away from light pollution
walk through the woods ( no flashlight )
investagate dead trees rotting logs.
I used to see it all the time when I was more of a camper.

--------------------
anyone have a sporeprint for a bioluminescent mushroom species? ( other than foxfire ) A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men...-Willie Wonka

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation