Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBulletoothTony
crazy mofo whenplaying with hisAK
Newbie Questions from a newbie!
    #916347 - 09/29/02 03:52 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well I decided after reading the pf tek over and over that im going to grow my own shrooms. I really like this site because it provides more info on shrooms that I previously could imagine. Before I can start growing I need some input on the following...

1) Where can I get 1/2 pint canning jars? im not exactly sure where to start looking(I live in florida)

2) After going over the PF tek I want to opt with using the  Ultra Sonic Humidifier method. However on some of these sites that sell spores they sell  "The Hydra-Pod Self-automated Mushroom Growing System". If money is not an issue here, would this hydra-pod be the best way to go? Keep in mind this will be my first attempt ever at growing shrooms. :blush:

Thanks in advance for any replies ;D
-Tony 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCopenbeer
dirty white boy
Loc: Colorado
Re: Newbie Questions from a newbie! [Re: BulletoothTony]
    #916369 - 09/29/02 04:18 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I am also a new shroom grower. I ordered a syringe of the Mazatepec P. cubensis from Sporeworks and I plan on using the PFtek plan. I also have a few questions. What makes a humidifier ultra-sonic? I went to all the x-Marts in my area and the only one labeled ultra-sonic was $60 (too much), and how do you attach the tubes to it? Would a duct tape funnel over the fan work? I am also having trouble finding a large styrofoam cooler for my terrarium, the only ones I can find are 26 qt. with tapered bottoms so I dont know if that will be enough room. Also, where do you find humidity meters? The garden shop only had one for the store and he didnt know where they got it. I cant find 1/2 pint jars either.

InvisibleStainItBlue

#916371 - 09/29/02 04:19 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

you can get canning jars all over the place..supermarkets etc..or off the internet like i did....if money is not an issue and you wanna grow a nice little stash for yourself..than sure try the hydro-pod out...i have heard good things about it...go for it ...

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: Newbie Questions from a newbie! [Re: StainItBlue]
    #916376 - 09/29/02 04:24 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Ok gotto your local pet store there you will find an Hygrometer...which measures humidity...and a humidifier/ air exchanger....which does what it says it is. it hooks up to an aquarium pump which you would also need this is cheaper than a cool mist humidifier and better IMO...order you 1/2 pint jars online at KitchenKrafts.com..but remember you could get some perlite and a rubbermaid container ..mist and fan thats the cheapest

InvisibleStainItBlue

#916379 - 09/29/02 04:26 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I am also having trouble finding a large styrofoam cooler for my terrarium, the only ones I can find are 26 qt. with tapered bottoms so I dont know if that will be enough room.

You are better off using a rubbermaid for your terrarium....styrofoam is good for incubation...an X - mart should have all of these thing and if not try another one

OfflineBulletoothTony
crazy mofo whenplaying with hisAK
    #916395 - 09/29/02 05:08 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks a ton for the info on where to get the jars, thats one thing out of the way. So you say you recommend a rubbermaid over the styrofoam terrarium? what size rubbermaid? Do you know of any links that can show me how to set up a rubbermaid terrarium? Again, thanks in advance .

-Bulletooth Tony

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #916416 - 09/29/02 05:49 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

dude use a cool mist humidifier, not an ultrasonic.. any rubbermaid container will work. just attach a 1/2 inch diameter hose to the side of the humidifier from drilling a hole right into the side of the thing..make sure you do it in the chamber or you could damage the thing... (or you could attach the hose with tape at the normal outlet vent in the humidifier if you're just growing cakes, that's probably easier than drilling holes..but either way).. if you drill a hole make sure and glue the hose in so no air escapes... tape the normal exhaust vent shut, if you ever need to lower your humidity below 95% you can now do so by taking some of the tape off the vent and allowing some humid air to escape. drill a hole in the top of the rubbermaid and attach the hose.. there you go, it's really simple and very cost effective. don't worry about drip shields of any of that.. with cool mists not a lot of water forms.. only on the bottom of the terrerium, you can empty it out inbetween flushes. Vicks makes a good cool mist, I believe them and
Halls are the only ones? I don't know.. you also don't need to fan or do any form of air exchange using this method.. the constant fresh air keeps the co2 neturalized. run the humidifier 24-7, or if that's to much experiment and see what works best.. go to radio shack and get a hygrometer.. keep the humidity at 95% or higher.. with cakes i'd say 96 or 97.. anyway, that's it. good luck! this is by far the best way to go.

Edited by Snobrdr311 (09/29/02 05:53 AM)

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: Newbie Questions from a newbie! [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #916434 - 09/29/02 06:02 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

a cool mist humidifier is too much work...get a tropic aire..ten times easier and is cheaper and does the same thing...and it supplies your terrarium with room temp. air not cold air

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#916451 - 09/29/02 06:11 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

never heard of those, where do you buy them?

InvisibleStainItBlue

#916458 - 09/29/02 06:19 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

petsmart...or any pet store...they hook up to an aquarium pump...it saves a lot of hassle...i bought a cool mist and returned it the same day after finding on of those

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#916469 - 09/29/02 06:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

they hook up to an aquarium pump? c'mon dude.. I want to see one of these things. I'm having a hard time believing this can produce better than a cool mist.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

#916473 - 09/29/02 06:37 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

dude I just saw the post you made titled "important".. you now have no credibility whatsoever. have you ever even seen a cool mist humidifier? the air is kicks out isn't exactly "cold air."

OfflineObiWanKenobi
Jedi Master

Loc: USA
    #916481 - 09/29/02 06:54 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have a hydra-pod and its doing really well CHECK ME OUT IN THE GROW LOG soon will post a log

InvisibleStainItBlue

#916483 - 09/29/02 06:56 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

yeah DUDE i have bought one...you dont want my advice dont take it im doin you a favor...
P.S. im not the only one that has one and they work well .DUDE

and that important post was a joke you idiot

InvisibleStainItBlue

#916487 - 09/29/02 06:59 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

will do obi ...good luck

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #917102 - 09/29/02 03:45 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If this is your first time growing, I would recommend that you stay away from humidifiers. Believe me, you'll have plenty to worry about besides mantaining the damn thing. Just stick with the perlite terrarium and fan for air exchange.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Newbie Questions from a newbie! [Re: Skikid16]
    #917106 - 09/29/02 03:46 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I agree 100%. Moist perlite and a fanning regimen is virtually foolproof.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck