Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDruuber
Stranger
newbie questions
    #543988 - 02/07/02 05:04 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

---Dumb questions alert!

1) I accidently bought the course chunky Vermiculite. Should I mash it up into a fine powder? finer grade vermi is supposed to work better right?

2) The only canning jars I could find were slightly tall decorative ones. They are about 3 inches in diameter and 5 inches height, nice and open at the end, no shoulder. Looks about double the height of the one they show on the PF website. Should I wait until I can get smaller ones? If I can still do it with the ones I have whats the best way to go about it? Put a thicker layer of Vermi on my substrate, right up to the top? increase the proportions of everything? just pretend its a smaller jar and leave a gap between the pure vermi layer and the top of the jar?

3) It said on the PF website to use 'natural' water. Is it worth it to go looking for a river or pond to get water then? I live in the heart of a major city, and most of the water around here is pretty polluted, will that matter? Should I go out into the country and try to find some less-polluted water, or just say screw it and use tap or bottled water, or the 'water' from the river in my backyard.. that passes god only knows how many toxic waste dumps before reaching me.. ?

4) I could only find packs of 'Long grain brown rice'. I can just grind this up into a fine powder and use it instead of the flour right? Nothing else I need to do with it?

5) Final stupid question that I probably could have found an answer to on the next page.. I'm supposed to mix 2/3 cup vermiculite, 1/4 cup of BRF and 1/4 cup of water for each jar I want to use, one of the faqs(Magic Mushrooms Growers Guide v3.2) said to add 1/4 cup more of water for each jar I want to prepare..? Ok, I'm a moron, That being said, shouldn't I just make a fresh batch of 2/3 vermi, 1/4 brf and 1/4 water for each jar? if I just add in more water to the 2/3 vermi and 1/4 brf, won't that just make the final product too watery the more jars I use?

=)
---
That kid that can't do a damn thing on his own until he asks 50 million dumb questions and pisses someone off enough that they just do it for him.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: newbie questions [Re: Druuber]
    #544001 - 02/07/02 05:15 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

1 It should work fine..as long is the particle size isnt too large.
2 Are they tall half pinters or are they actually larger? If they are larger you can adjust our substrate using those math skills.
3 No toxic waste, use bottled water please.
4 yeah, grind it up. I do that sometimes, but i leave it somewhat chunky. works fine.
5 right..use a fresh batch for each jar..im not sure which FAQ youre referring to but its a typo or you misunderstood. Of course you should just increase the recipe, you dont have to mix one batch for each jar, just double or triple the amounts.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract