Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: aDoS]
    #8976100 -

.


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Edited by deCypher (01/21/09 05:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: scout24]
    #8976303 -

scout24 said:
Ferris said:
My god, that's still an awful article.  The text I listed above is the law as it stand now.  The article you both reference dates back to a ruling made in March of this year.  USE REAL NEWS SOURCES



First, I wasn't talking to you.  Second, the SF chronicle is a REAL NEWS SOURCE.  Third, it references an August ruling, superseding the March ruling.  LEARN TO READ.



Reminds me of a couple weeks back when some news agency reprinted an article about how United Airlines was filing for bankruptcy and their stock dropped 50% in 5 minutes, even though the article was a year old.

You'd all rather bitch about the government than know the truth?  Fine by me


--------------------

Discuss Politics

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: deCypher]
    #8976765 -

The Cypher said:
Depends upon the state.  I was homeschooled up until high school, and never took any kind of standardized test.



Dont you think there should be though?  My close friends growing up were first generation children of Romanian parents.  They never went to school and were home schooled their whole life.  They were overly sheltered and consistently behind their peers in academics. 

Homeschooling should definitely be a right as long as basic standards are met, and could be quite better considering our public schools.  However, I think if a proper choice based voucher system were in place homeschooling wouldn't be favorable at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Lndrydusting]
    #8976775 -

Lndrydusting said:
monkeywrench said:
Lndrydusting said:
I don't think home schoolers need teaching credentials but they should still be held in some sort of check as to how/what they are teaching! In most states all that you are required to have to substitute teach is a high school diploma, but you still need to follow a lesson plan.


Just per chance... How would the police find out your mom is homeschooling you? If it is supposedly illegal its not like she'd report herself to the state... Was it like one of those pissed off neighbors that knows whats best for your kid more than you do type situation? Is truancy that big of a deal?



1. Follow a lesson plan to include revisionist history, nationalistic indoctrination, 2000 year old math principals that require a new and expensive text book every year.

2. How would police know if your mom is homeschooling... if the kid doesn't show up to the brainwashing terminal, I mean public school. lol



She would have to register her kids for school in the first place... they don't just know that you're coming Assbag! In a lot of states you have to take tests before 1st grade to help establish if you're ready for school or if you might have a learning disability! And yeah homeschooling is "revolutionaized" too now... we can do it online with no textbooks!


And as for the blah blah blah children should have to learn certain stuff in school or home school....
If your kid takes the GED... They will need to know the shit that the state school teaches to pass the test, because most homeschool programs won't give you a real diploma unless you follow their lesson plans!

I have never been homeschooled but I've known at least 20 people who have through sports, church and work! Unless New Hampshire is completely different than every other state than I'm not just talking  out of my ass!

Seriously kids that are homeschooled aren't always taught by parents either! I knew a few kids in highschool that had a friends mom who taught like 5 of them. If it were your kids, wouldn't you want to know what is being taught to them? That is kind of the point of the PTA and parent teacher conference/open houses!

If a public school teacher had just a diploma would you want you kid learning from them??? If you paid money for your kid to go to school would you want to waste your money on someone who know nothing other than what they were taught in highschool?

Either way if your kid can pass the GED who gives a shit how they were taught or what credential they have!



Easy tiger, I think we're on the same page, well except for me being an assbag and all.


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Lndrydusting]
    #8977092 -

i can't believe this garbage i'm hearing from some people.

Its not your right, or your business, to tell my kid what he should learn in your government run indoctrination camp.

My child will NEVER set foot in a government school building, and the second they come to take him away is the second i open fire.


--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: anyone420]
    #8977164 -

Statements like that are what gives homeschooling the reputation it has.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: zouden]
    #8977175 -

lying to make a bunch of authoritarians less aggressive is not in my playbook


--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: anyone420]
    #8977179 -

So, just out of curiosity, do you homeschool your child yourself?

If so, are you confident in teaching your child things like calculus and precalculus, phsics, chemistry, biology etc.  Do you follow any type of curriculum?


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: zouden]
    #8977181 -

I saw both sides when growing up... I went to public school during the day and was home schooled at night; my mother was a learning disabilities teacher by day and I was her test case at night.  As long as the home schooled children can pass standardized testing, I don't think there is any call to require 'teaching credentials' or any other such nonsense.  Yet again another example of socialism leading to fascism.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: anyone420]
    #8977190 -

:omgz:Now how will they learn, "THE TRUTH"!!! Oh noes!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Seuss]
    #8977193 -

>As long as the home schooled children can pass standardized testing

And what if they can't?


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: anyone420]
    #8977201 -

anyone420 said:
lying to make a bunch of authoritarians less aggressive is not in my playbook


  Here's the deal, you shouldn't be made to send your kid to a gov school if it conflicts with your beliefs.  There's alot of shite that I don't like about public schools too, and I think that the voucher thing is a great idea as well as home-schooling.  It's not the gov's children their yours.. no doubt


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: zouden]
    #8977203 -

zouden said:
>As long as the home schooled children can pass standardized testing

And what if they can't?



Whoa whoa. Hold on before you even ask that.
I have a question for you.
Shouldn't they be able to?

What should count as an education?
Good intentions?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8977219 -

No.  "Good intentions" should not count as an education.  There should be objective measures of a students intellectual abilities, algebra, basic science etc.

Right now, the GED has incredibly low standards, so IMO the argument that "I passed the GED with my homeschooling" isn't overly convincing of the quality of a homeschooled education.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8977224 -

My cousin was homeschooled until her 15th bday and then whilst in public school graduated with honors right after her 16th bday.. She said it was the easiest year of her life..  Mind You this was at a "well funded top notch" public school.  So obviously it's not a bad thing if it has the potential to be better than the public system.


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8977230 -

I guess it all depends on what you get at the end of your schooling, like a high school diploma or certificate or whatever. If you can pass the tests, you should get the diploma, regardless of whether you were homeschooled or not. But I wonder what the pass rate is like.


--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: zouden]
    #8977310 -

zouden said:
>As long as the home schooled children can pass standardized testing

And what if they can't?



Then just like public schools, something is done to improve the child's education (in theory, at least).


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: monkeywrench]
    #8977348 -

monkeywrench said:
Quote:
“A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation,” Croskey wrote.



Notice there's nothing said about scholastic ability, just nationalistic indoctrination. 

This is extremely troubling. Cali citizens needs to raise some cain over this. Freedom is never stolen, but only given away.



just goes to show, you reap what you sow.  if the purpose of school was to educate us, then we would be alot smarter.  its not a coincidence that there are so many stupid people who have gone thru school. 

check this out http://www.thememoryhole.org/edu/school-mission.htm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: sleepy]
    #8977368 -

The U.S. has an absolutely abysmal educational standing in the world currently.
I find it funny that so many Americans are always talking about being number 1.
Ya? Number 1 in what??
A bloated military budget? Indebtedness to China? Lack of press freedoms?
Those don't seem like noble goals.


BTW, a little bragging, Canadian kids earn top marks when compared with the rest of the world when it comes to math and science. SemiSocialist country, FTW!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Homeschooling banned in cali [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #8977387 -

We may have a terrible primary and secondary educations, but we do have the best university system in the world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Marine Corps Bans Tattoo Sleeves
( 1 2 all )
OneMoreRobot3021 8,263 39 05/22/10 12:50 AM
by PreparationH
* Ban on smoking in public places
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Sinbad 6,374 65 04/07/07 12:45 AM
by jewunit
* cali bud
( 1 2 3 all )
nonick 3,264 41 09/16/06 08:06 PM
by OzzyOz
* Cali Baby sui 484 7 03/25/06 09:25 AM
by Christoph teh goat luvr
* 5:30 here in Cali, Whose up? sui 353 6 12/31/04 07:00 AM
by sui
* My friend wants me to move to cali with him.
( 1 2 all )
LethalX5 2,850 32 10/30/05 04:40 PM
by heavensgate
* Back from Cali. CaRnAgECaNdYS 440 12 03/01/06 09:18 AM
by BrAiN
* Why Doesent Cali Get Any More Love?? imburne 247 0 03/30/07 07:01 PM
by imburne

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
6,196 topic views. 4 members, 39 guests and 211 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.