Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Grateful Dead, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLarrythescaryrexS
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Tripping for the first time
    #896849 - 09/21/02 05:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Some people here view taking mushrooms/lsd as a spiritual experiance. If that is the case, what advice would you offer to a person who has never tripped before, so as to maximize the meaning of the experiance?

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Larrythescaryrex]
    #896964 - 09/21/02 07:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Don't try to find god on the first ride, just try to hang on.

That would be my advice for the little it is worth.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

InvisibleEcoFreako
Non-Threatening

Loc: BC, CAN.
    #897001 - 09/21/02 08:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

if one wouldnt mind reading a few pages...
BARDO THODOL  (by tim leary, ralph metzner, rich alpert)
also, be around some living things like plants. :grin:  ---Ec0 

--------------------
Mmmm....permaculture....

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
    #897062 - 09/21/02 11:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

taking psychedelics can be a spiritual experience for those with preconcieved notions about such, whether they are consciously looking for it or not. for others, it can be quite different.
let the drug lead you where it may. don't try to know what to expect, because most never do.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#897097 - 09/21/02 11:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Just hanging on is good advise. More can be provided though. Dont do it in a situation you dont feel comfortable in, do it in a place that isnt going to worry you. If you choose to eat with a friend or are just going to have a spotter, make sure it is a friend you feel comfortable around. There are no guarentees in this, but being relaxed is a good bet.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#897103 - 09/21/02 11:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Play an instrument, you'll find god no problem  :wink:

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Grav]
    #897186 - 09/21/02 12:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

One word.

Meditation.

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #897193 - 09/21/02 12:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Goddammit!
I was gonna say "Don't try to find ANYTHING."
But the pigment-deficient one beat me to it with this:
...let the drug lead you where it may. don't try to know what to expect, because most never do.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Sclorch]
    #897352 - 09/21/02 02:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah...but it's very difficult to do if you've spent a lot of time reading Trip Reports and so on.

--------------------

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Revelation]
    #897355 - 09/21/02 02:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree.

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: Revelation]
    #897367 - 09/21/02 02:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

but it's very difficult to do if you've spent a lot of time reading Trip Reports and so on

that's why I don't.

before I ever tried shrooms I had read a few reports but I decided I didn't want to corrupt my brain with ideas about what it  would be like based on others experiences... I quit reading them and by the time I actually tripped I had forgotten what they were about exacttly... but my  experiences have been quite different from the usual bit about spiritual stuff. maybe because I don't have any speculations about spirituality  :smirk:

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #897478 - 09/21/02 03:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

setting is very important

Do them at your own place, or a place you are very comfortable in.

Do them in a good mood too!

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #897557 - 09/21/02 04:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Guidance. Not just self-guidance. All psychedelic cultures from time immemorial initiate newbies with the assistance of experienced, trustworthy guides. I literally ran away from people who liked to 'goof' on me when I was a newbie. I started with a good friend with whom I had worked up to psychedelic-level dosages with lesser substances (morning glories, Sandoz psilocybin) until we took Windowpane acid (1972). We had a 'straight' friend as a 'sitter' and driver. My tripping partner had had peyote a couple of years before we knew each other, and he was familiar with extraordinary states. I had received instructions from my older college roomate who had a history of acid-taking from the late 1960's (he turned me on to Grateful Dead concerts and the Windowpane). Moreover, I had been reading up on this Mystery for two years before the Big Trip. The 'models' I went into the experience with were 1) high-school propaganda films, 2) college-level psychology, 3) a vague notion about wanting to 'see colors.' Clearly, my ass got kicked by the experience for having been so unprepared, but it motivated me to explore and develop intellectually and spiritually til this present moment.

The book BE HERE NOW is the best manual for beginners. The first part to be read beforehand; the middle part during; the last part afterward. A guide should be present throughout. The place should be private and free from outside intrusion for the duration. Although the book favors Eastern metaphors to a greater degree, a Western spiritual element is clearly present. Moreover, an Eastern (Gnostic) take on Western (i.e., Christian) spirituality is far more compatible with psychedelic experience than the guilt-ridden traditional interpretations of the same myths and doctrines. Thus, with an outer guide and inner guidance from an insipred book, you will not be left to elements, primarily from your unconscious, that can emerge and end up predominating the trip. This can make for an unpleasant experience of little more than unresolved psychodynamic issues with parents or childhood or psychosexual concerns, etc. The book will help guide one through that level to a place that opens up into expansive vistas (not contractive, restrictive, backward-looking spaces). Take my word for it - like the Divine Comedy by Dante - since you're not going to have a Divine guide like Beatrice in Dante's work, allow yourself to be lead to the Heavenly Paradiso before you brave the Purgatorial and Infernal realms. Therein lie all bummers, madness and unpleasantness in general.
Take the High road.

If you're taking this as a serious spiritual initiation, please make sure these things are in place for an optimal and safe experience. This is not for children or idiots.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (09/21/02 04:11 PM)

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #897607 - 09/21/02 04:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

Thus, with an outer guide and inner guidance from an insipred book, you will not be left to elements, primarily from your unconscious, that can emerge and end up predominating the trip. This can make for an unpleasant experience of little more than unresolved psychodynamic issues with parents or childhood or psychosexual concerns, etc

eh?

even with guidance these things can be unavoidable....
I have a lot of issues and anxiety problems, but I only have had "bad trips" with pot, and one time with DXM. my shroom experiences have all been pleasant, with the exception of anxieties induced by smoking a roach while tripping...
some people who are otherwise emotionally/psychologically stable have bad trips with and without guidance as well. the one thing to remember, is never to lose consciousness of the fact that you're tripping. even bad trips are learning experiences, and they don't last forever.

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#898948 - 09/22/02 11:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Do you need to end up in a wheelchair to learn the lesson that drinking and driving don't mix? Apparently you haven't figured out that you have toxic reactions to cannabis, yet exaccerbate that by smoking while tripping. Then you feel that you must quote and amend my words, AS IF you have added something to them? I don't usually respond with irritation, but the confession of your own self-induced toxic states is not going to help the poster here. P.S. , people do NOT always return from 'bad trips' unscathed. BTW, I forgot that I had taken acid on my first trip, and couldn't understand why everything was SO different. When reminded, I couldn't make the cognitive connection between taking the acid, and my new state of consciousness - so it happens.

As to Dextromethorphan - this synthetic narcotic, now used in place of codeine, may induce hallucinations, as do opiates, but it is not a psychedelic or entheogen; it is toxic in the extreme in doses that are required to produce hallucinatory phenomenon; and its use has no bearing on this person's question about psychedelics being used for spiritual purposes.

Hey...I don't know this person, but I've come to regard this step with the reverence of one's First Holy Communion, or with the hope that one's daughter loses her virginity the right way. Encouragement and guidance needs to be imparted, not doubts and anxieties.

--------------------

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Re: Tripping for the first time [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #899012 - 09/22/02 11:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I only have bad reactions to pot occasionally. because I have already present social anxieties, and smoking pot around anyone other than a couple certain people can make me feel like shit. smoking alone is still a great experience. it's not a "toxic" reaction. my "bad trip" on DXM was due to the fact that I was a dumbass to use it when I had been having a bit of a depressive spell. my fault. I also usually have good experiences with it.
when I had a not-quite-so-fun-but-not-horrible time with shrooms, I was in such a good mood at first, I thought the pot would enhance the shrooms and it did, visually, but it just made me feel uneasy for about 30 minutes.

In reply to:

. Encouragement and guidance needs to be imparted, not doubts and anxieties.

you were the one imparting anxieties in the first place. telling him he "needs" a guide or bad things may happen. I'm being realistic about it. bad things may happen with or without a "guide", as may wonderful things. it depends a LOT more on what's going on in your life, how comfortable you are with your environment and the people around you, what your expectations are, and what kind of person you are.

--------------------
-Ralph Nader

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#899147 - 09/22/02 01:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I did not say that bad things will happen without a guide. Guides are there to 'guide,' and to help with mundane things while a person is experiencing non-ordinary reality. Initiation into these things going back at least as far as the Eleusinian Mysteries, and probably further, have used ritual and protocols, which is what I am emphasizing. As far I can tell, you are not coming from the same motive or understanding that I am in this matter. I'll leave it at that and let the poster make his own decisions.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: DXM, Grateful Dead, San Pedro

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology