Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
ID help please =d
    #895080 - 09/20/02 07:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ok, there are two sets.. the first are HUGE white with brown specs on the lid.. mature ones have seperated from stalk, others still look like a penis =d

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

and this is what the small ones look like..

here is what i can tell
In reply to:

. Habitat (where and what does it grow on) habitat .. east tenn.. grown off of edge of decompost pile.. big rain fro the last 3 days
b. Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc) gills all white, some attached if mature, big circle
c. Measurements of cap and stem. vary.. largest was 5inches CAP, stem about 4inches long 2inches circumfrence
d. Characteristics of the stem (color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc) stem is thick and soild
e. Characteristics of the cap (color, texture, concical/spherical, convex/concave, etc) white, smooth, look at pics
f. Spore print color (very important!) havent made one yet.. but will
g. Color that the mushroom briuses ??? dont know
h. Scent of mushroom sweet, yet musty... soft smell, cold smell

ok here are the next ones....

they were growin out of hay that i just bought a few months back, hay was spread for the dog pen...

same habitat... east tenn.. big rain past 3-4 days it was hot before then.. 90-95ish
its been about 75-80 the past 2 dyas
gills are light brown, not attatched.. non of them in thepatch were attaached CAP about size of a quarter to half dollar, no bigger
stem is brown, hollow, fragile smooth
cap isbrown all over except for DEEP brown nipple on the top, almost shinny brown, some were slimey in a way curved up
brusing mush now
taking print now

ill add, wheni was picking hte little brownies.. they stained my fingers from picking them up from the lower gill.. my fingers had redishbrown stain on them after i pickd

well for what i have shown and given.. any suggesttions??

the little browns popped up just about over nite... althe same size, about 60-70 in the hay.. the whites are just huge.. im wondering if they might be good for cooking..

ill post spore print report and bruse later..

A habitat .. east tenn.. grown off of edge of decompost pile.. big rain fro the last 3 days

Edited by nineTfour (09/20/02 07:33 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID help please =d [Re: nineTfour]
    #895285 - 09/20/02 09:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

These are just guesses until all the data's in, but:

The first looks like a Lepiota. We need to know about bruising in the stem and cap. Cut the mushroom in half vertically and watch the color changes for a couple minutes. Watch the cap and stem independently of each other. We also still need to verify the spore print. Many of the large Lepiotas are excellent edibles, but there are also deadly poisonous Lepiotas, so get an ID before you eat.

The second one is tougher, but guessing from your comment about staining your fingers "redishbrown", I'll guess they are Cortinarius. If so, there may be some spiderweb-like material on the stem where a ring might be on many mushrooms (please check). There are other mushrooms with that color spore print as well. None of them are active, and some of them are deadly poison.

Also, and this is important for identification, were there any trees nearby (within 10 or 20 feet)?

Happy mushrooming!

Re: ID help please =d [Re: nineTfour]
    #895328 - 09/20/02 09:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification