Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Huntin.. (ID help)
    #1599524 - 06/01/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A fine hunt it was in NE Ohio near Ladue Reservoir.

These were growing in very dense woods on the forest floor.
They were very sticky with an earthy smell.
The gills are distant.
My guess is Hygrophorus cantharellus, Chantrelle Waxy Cap.

These are some LBMs from around the same area.
Spore print is rust/brown. Any ideas?

I found these growing at the base of a decomposed stump.
I think they are Xylaria polymorpha, Dead Man's Fingers.
Some young and some mature specimens.

Boy what a great hobby.. Addicting isnt it? Kinda like crack.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Huntin.. (ID help) [Re: Effed]
    #1599618 - 06/01/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, those pics rock!!!  :laugh:

Those last two are especially interesting.

Quote:

Boy what a great hobby.. Addicting isnt it? Kinda like crack.

Hell yeah!!!  :grin:

I am too stoned right now, but I am gonna look up those mushrooms in my book later. 
This hobby really is fucking addicting!

I wonder if the mushrooms know that we like to hunt them and pick them and consume some of them for certain reasons.  I wonder if, in fact, the mushrooms have trained us to do this over an unfathomably long period of coevolution as a way of aiding them in the dispersal of their spores.  This not only ensures their survival, but speeds up their evolution by increasing their range of habitat.

We are but honeybees attracted to their sweet nectar.  We think we are in control.  We think we are getting the most out of this interaction with another life-form.  But what if the mushrooms, in reality, are the masters???

HOLY SHIT DID I MENTION IM STONED  :crazy:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Re: Huntin.. (ID help) [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1599645 - 06/01/03 09:23 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting concept!

Holy shit you ARE stoned!  :grin: heheh me too.

Offlinefailwebsite
Stranger

#1599654 - 06/01/03 09:25 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

HOLY SHIT DID I MENTION IM STONED 

yummy  :grin:

I like the pics very swas 

Anonymous

#1599821 - 06/01/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1599924 - 06/01/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Very interesting specimens, and great photos.

On the first ones, according to Mushrooms of Northeatern North America they can't be Hygrophorus cantharellus, because that species has a dry cap and stem, not sticky (a major key factor for this genus). Among the key choices we need to know if they taste bitter - so could you tell us that? (BTW - I think they look close to H. cantharellus, too, so it was a surprise to see that they don't match).

On the LBMs, did they have any odor?

On the Earth Tongues, the key indicates we need to know if the surface of the head appears to be minutely spiny when examined with a hand lens. Whether it is or not, we then need a microscope to decide what it is. If it appears spiny then it's in genus Trichoglossum, if not, then it's a Geoglossum. To get to species we then need to know how many spores per asca and the appearance and size of the spores. I've never keyed out one of these guys before - what a bitch, huh.

As you can see, very interesting specimens. I'm interested in your answers, so let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Huntin.. (ID help) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1600035 - 06/01/03 11:36 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

On the Earth Tongues, the key indicates we need to know if the surface of the head appears to be minutely spiny when examined with a hand lens. Whether it is or not, we then need a microscope to decide what it is. If it appears spiny then it's in genus Trichoglossum, if not, then it's a Geoglossum. To get to species we then need to know how many spores per asca and the appearance and size of the spores. I've never keyed out one of these guys before - what a bitch, huh.

Sheesh!  :crazy:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #1600466 - 06/02/03 02:38 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I wonder if the mushrooms know that we like to hunt them and pick them and consume some of them for certain reasons. I wonder if, in fact, the mushrooms have trained us to do this over an unfathomably long period of coevolution as a way of aiding them in the dispersal of their spores. This not only ensures their survival, but speeds up their evolution by increasing their range of habitat.

We are but honeybees attracted to their sweet nectar. We think we are in control. We think we are getting the most out of this interaction with another life-form. But what if the mushrooms, in reality, are the masters???

LoL! Makes perfect sense to me man. There are a ton of species that are reliant on each other for proliferation and survival. As far as I am concerened we are all part of the same plan. Too bad humans like to fuck with the blueprints.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

#1601861 - 06/02/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for all the help guys!

One the first one the spore print was white and it didnt taste much like anything, very mild.

On the second.. They were growing near, but not on dead logs. They dont seem to have much of a smell.. kinda earthy and as I said the spore print was a reddish light brown. Thats all the details that I can get.

For the third.. I examined it and it has no spines. I dont have a microscope yet so guess I wont be finding out. :frown: Yes It is a bitch!  :grin:

Edited by Effed (06/02/03 04:40 PM)

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1602047 - 06/02/03 04:30 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

ok my 20 minutes id attempt at pic 1 is fruitless. the only thing i can come up with is Hygrocybe flavescens, which it is not.

to me #2 appears to be a species of Conocybe....Conocybe tenera or related species. althought the gill color is a bit lighter and the habitiat is a little off. C. tenera grows in disturbed area including trails, gardens and others. nobody mentioned Conocybe in this thread. correct if i am wrong with the conocybe thing but this mushroom has a conical cap and rusty brown spores and looks like a perfect conocybe...

good luck, it would be nice if we could get an id of these.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Huntin.. (ID help) [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1602094 - 06/02/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

by the way...check out this Hygrocybe cantherallus pic:
http://www.pilzfotopage.de/Agaricales/p123.htm

beautiful.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1602322 - 06/02/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

OK, on the first one I'll guess (you didn't say specifically) that the cap and stem were both sticky, not just the cap. In that case they key out as Hygrophorus perplexus - based on Internet references that must be a moderately obscure species. BTW, if the stem were dry and the cap sticky then it should be Hygrophorus puniceus (=Hygrocybe punicea), one of the few members of the genus which is considered poisonous.

The most similar mushroom I've been able to find for the second ones is Nolanea verna (which has several close lookalikes distinguishable only with a microscope). Is it possible that the spore print color is actually more of a salmon pinkish color? Try checking it using sunlight instead of ordinary indoor lighting and see if that's a possibility.

As for the third ones, Mr_Mushrooms gets the prize for getting the genus right.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1602382 - 06/02/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

wow that is a very good guess N. verna....

there are about 8 pics on this site:

http://www.idsystem.cz/mushrooms/fotoframe.htm

punicea is way too bright scarlet RED.

Edited by MagmaManiac (06/02/03 06:26 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1602660 - 06/02/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

punicea is way too bright scarlet RED.

The one they put on the page I linked to is a bit intensely colored. Try the links they have at the bottom of that page.

Color is usually overrated by most people as a way to identify mushrooms. Keep in mind that authors of websites and books tend to put the prettiest photos in that show what the mushrooms look like. In the field you'll find specimens that are faded from sun or rain and have other environmental effects making them just a bit different than the ideal specimens usually shown. That's one of the main reasons we always advise people to compare the specimen to the written description.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1603099 - 06/02/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

i agree, but i looked at about 4 pictures of punicea and read descriptions of it being bright red to brick red...i would say that its fading would to a faded red not this type of orange. i am almost positive this is not H. punicea. perhaps i am too confident, but hell. other than that, its structure does not match.

i feel like a smartass hehe...

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1603374 - 06/03/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I should also add that I tend not to trust completely the colors I see in people's photographs. Between the two photos taken of those specimens the caps are somewhere between a fairly deep orangish red and a medium orange.

The description in Arora says they can be "deep red to bright red, fading (often in streaks or splotches) to reddish-orange and finally orange."

So I guess I would say that I agree that the photos don't appear to match that well in color, but the verbal description I think is reasonable.

Incidentally, the only photo of Hygrophorus perplexus I've found shows specimens with a cap color pretty close to the photo on the left, above (at least as it displays on my monitor).

So, does that mean that I think that my ID above is exactly correct? Hardly. The keys for this genus I have access to are nowhere near definitive. If I were writing up a label for an herbarium for those specimens I'd call them "Hygrophorus cf. perplexus", which means they're close to, but not necessarily that species. The professionals do that pretty often, especially when they're not in their lab with microscopes, chemicals, monographs, and all the time they need.

With some mushrooms out here we're just not going to ever be able to definitively identify them. Sometimes the best we can do is get close. Given how many red-capped Hygrophorus there are, I'd be surprised if we could get an definitive identification.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

#1605309 - 06/03/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I'd be surprised if we could get an definitive identification.

.. Me too! Im going to take more notes next time.  :smile:

Thanks for the help again guys!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1605789 - 06/03/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

very well placed toxicman...and i would also agree with that cfp. id. i doubt it is right exactly, but something similar to that species.

....your wrong :grin:.....

im just kidding man but we did the best we could.....at least i did :wink:

jesus im a teaser. 

InvisibleMUSH HEAD420
Kush Commander
Male User Gallery

#8936757 - 09/15/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I know this is old but I made a positive ID on the first one and it is a Hygrophorus cantharellus.:thumbup:...........I found these before

Edited by MUSH HEAD420 (09/15/08 11:12 PM)

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Huntin.. (ID help) [Re: MUSH HEAD420]
    #8936783 - 09/15/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

No, it isn't.

You should have read the rest of the thread before you posted.

Quote:

ToxicMan said:

On the first ones, according to Mushrooms of Northeatern North America they can't be Hygrophorus cantharellus, because that species has a dry cap and stem, not sticky (a major key factor for this genus). Among the key choices we need to know if they taste bitter - so could you tell us that? (BTW - I think they look close to H. cantharellus, too, so it was a surprise to see that they don't match).

And thank you for playing, "Gee, I'm new here."

:lol:

Welcome to the Shroomery.  :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract