Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
How would you humidify a really large area?
    #875775 - 09/10/02 10:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well my soon to be wife has allowed me to turn the barn out back into a mushroom growing area. My fruting chamber is going to be around 10ft wide 15ft long 10ft high in the middle 8ft high at the sides. I'm gonna guess 2 ultrasonics should do the job, but not sure.

We can see California coming, and we're scared--- James Brady

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: How would you humidify a really large area? [Re: Magash]
    #875829 - 09/10/02 11:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Of course your going to try growing Portabella's & your brothers neighbors sisters freind let you use his barn - right?  :grin:

Nothing is a secret, if more than YOU know about it. Keep that in mind.  :blush:

Cover the floor -- wall & ceiling with heavy mil black plastic.

That should keep moisture in & nasty contam crap out. Put in a 4 inch PVC pipe for fresh air exchange. Put a good filter over it.

Around any barn -- watch out for fruit flies & dung loving gnats. Once any substrate gets infested -- it literaly turns to shit.  Also think - mouse traps.

If your in a cold climate  :frown:? And, the barn room is not insulated. It is going to be an expensive  bitch to keep at optimum temps -- in the winter.

Once you have the room sealed in. Run your hummers & see what you can maintain for rh. Then adjust to suit.

Suggest you build yourself a flow hood. Also get a 3M face filter mask. They work wonders when doing G2G transfers.

Most peaple screw up G2G by breathing in what they are doing -- not thinking what is coming out of their mouth & nasal passages.

Good luck

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: How would you humidify a really large area? [Re: SixTango]
    #875836 - 09/10/02 11:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

hey six,

great advice, as always!  just curious, i have been thinking about building a fruiting room similar to the one magash is planning, either in a basment or in an attic.  since these aren't the cleanest places in a house, i was thinking about constructing a plastic room like you mentioned.

where can we find this heavy mil black plastic??  thanks for the info!!! :smile: 

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: How would you humidify a really large area? [Re: Darkmoon]
    #876125 - 09/11/02 02:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Home Depot -- Lowes or any building supply place (if your in the USA). A 10 X 100 foot roll of the good stuff runs around $20 -- $25 bucks. Overlap the joints about a foot. A screw gun & hand full of 3/4 inch sheetrock screws & some washers works wonders holding it all in place.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
    #876459 - 09/11/02 05:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Buy the damn book. "The mushroom cultivator". It tells you all about it. For $30 at barns and noble. It'll save you time and money. Like six said. make sure you use the plastic. don't want to rot and rust the barn.

--------------------

OfflineMaveric2112
journeyman
Loc: My name is God so there f...
    #876510 - 09/11/02 05:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have a room 10ft x 11ft x 8ft and use one ultrasonic that I don't even run that much and it keeps the humidity up just fine. It gets expensive and there are a few tricks to keep temp, air flow, and contams the way you want. I would suggest instead of using the entire barn I would build a interior ceiling using 1" pvc piping at about six foot then cover that with 3.mil plastic. That way you cut out a lot of extra air space that you don't really need making it much easier to control the enviroment. The floor is another problem, what is it? Dirt? wood? concreate? To do it and do it right be prepared to spend some tall cash though. I have over a grand invested into my grow area, but in the long run well worth it. Good luck.

--------------------
Ahh what the hell am I talking about? I just like to make up stories. In short, I'm full of Sh$t!!!!!!

OfflineMaveric2112
journeyman
Loc: My name is God so there f...
Re: How would you humidify a really large area? [Re: Maveric2112]
    #876515 - 09/11/02 05:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah and he's right buy the mushroom cultavator, trust me it will be the best money you ever spend.

--------------------
Ahh what the hell am I talking about? I just like to make up stories. In short, I'm full of Sh$t!!!!!!

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #882909 - 09/13/02 09:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks to all.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #882966 - 09/13/02 09:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If you have enough substrate to grow in a room that big, why not just take all the hassle out and build a huge outdoor patch, and as Moe says, Let that huge fat bitch mother nature take care of it. But I do understand why you would want to get a huge grow room, it would look great, and the feeling of accomplishment would give me a boner. It would just suck huge donkey balls if you lost an entire room to contams. Good luck

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation