Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8733582 -

o damn dude your gpa is 1.3?

that will fuck up your ability to get loans i think, definitely grants

how many college units have you acquired thus far? You said you did one semester right, what were your grades that first semester?


--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Redstorm]
    #8733605 -

I already did.

I need to have a place to live for 12 months, have a job that can support that (or another source of money i.e. my savings account and prove that money has been mine for at least a year prior to me trying to establish residency, which I have), be registered to vote in Ohio, have a license, register my car in Ohio, and be completely financially independent.

Didn't I say that in the first post?

mick: I have 43 credits, two short of being a sophomore. Up until last semester I had a 2.5. I think my gpa might be a little higher than a 1.3 now that I think about it, that was my gpa after my first semester at school.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8733786 -

1.3 is borderline academic probation. youll definitely want to retake some of those low grade classes (if theres any F's) so you can qualify for some other financial options. Im not sure what the Ohio Grants are like but they might have a pretty low GPA minimum to qualify. Did you just stop caring about a few classes or what happened?

You want to stay off academic probation cause thatll get you suspended from school for a semester and youll have to start paying back your loans I think, not to mention you wont be eligible for school loans for a while and will have to reapply its a real pain in the ass


--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #8734037 -

I got put on probation for this upcoming quarter.
I'm retaking a few classes to get the Fs and Ws taken off my transcript. Since I have such a small amount of credits it won't be hard at all to turn my GPA around.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734218 -

dont worry about the W's. You only have so many units you can retake (especially when you get to a 4 year) So only worry about those that are a necessity. Depending on the college, theyll let you replace up to 15 units, then the rest youll just have to deal with, and you wont be able to retake any more. I used up 6/15 at CSUF from two classes I retook at my community college GWC.

I graduated with a 3.57 gpa and about 20+ W's on my transcript from my early community college days. They wont be a barrier to my graduate application cause they were so long ago and I stopped getting them after I was done dicking around. Dont worry about the W's just try to stop doing it. They dont affect GPA anyways, as you probably know.


--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #8734229 -

These threads make me glad I'm done and even happier graduate school was free.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #8734237 -

Well, I only have three Fs. All from last quarter. I decided to just fail them all instead of dropping them. This is sort of a voluntary probation I guess.

At OSU you can retake any class you got a D or less in and if you get a higher grade they take the lower grade off your transcript. You can do this until you have 90 hours, I believe.

I only have one other class I think, besides the Fs, that is below a C. I've just taken so few classes that it doesn't take much to change my GPA drastically.

As far as the Ws, most of them are classes that I'll need to graduate.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734267 -

dont ever fail instead of dropping thats really bad fucks up ur GPA maaaan
just drop the course and keep attending just for no credits so whenu retake it its much easier


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Coaster]
    #8734307 -

Trust me, I know all about dropping classes. I've dropped more credits than I've earned.
Problem is I just drop classes all the time, hence why I'm still technically a freshman entering my third year of college.
I'm trying out something new to see if I can get my shit together.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734409 -

when i went to schoo you could only try twice for a nice grade...sounds like these other guys got your answers covered pretty well...

good luck....sounds like you really need it...

take late classes (like after noon) and no classes on fridays...and just make sure you go and ask questions and your professors will apppreciate you and bump you up if your are teetering...

everytime i felt i was close to a bump in letter garde i would go to thier office hours and ask stupid shit i knew the answers to but they got to KNOW me and that is KEY...


--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Jack yo Self foo]
    #8734416 -

Not one person has answered my questions, actually.

I know all the generic advice on how to get good grades.
Go to class, go to office hours, do your work. No shit, it's been the same since middle school. This thread wasn't supposed to be about grades.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734457 -

jewunit said:
So I'm looking into becoming independent and claiming Ohio residency. In order to do so I have to register to vote, get a license, register my car in Ohio, have a job (or other money that has been in my name for 12 months before my review period), live there for 12 months, and be financially independent.

Currently my dad pays for college, and he's a cheap bastard so I know he wants to hold on to me for tax breaks, so he's coming up with any reason not to let me do this. One of the neccessities of being financially independent is I'd have to pay for college. He absolutely will not let me do that (what a fool, I'm offering to take tens of thousands of dollars a year of his back and he won't let me.) Basically I wanna know if I take out loans in my name, would that be proof enough of my "paying for college", or would I also have to provide evidence that I am the actual person paying off the loan? I've never dealt with loans before so I don't know how that shit works.




sorry...read only the 2nd page i guess...wierd...

when you fill out your forms..FAFSA or whatever they will ask for proof of employment and such...

you will have the appropriate address in OHio and car plates and such...just kinda worried about your earnings....and if you are over 24 i believe you get a ton of grants which helps...


just don't make too much at your job...tell your dad he already got his Hope credit..he can only get the lump sum once per kid for paying for their college...who knows maybe he writes off you education too...screwball accountants and thier loop holes...

your plan seems pretty solid for what you want to do...but why wouldn't you let him pay for it....don't be proud...


--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734473 -

So what was the question?  How to become independent?

Do you mean technically as far as FASFA is concerned, or personally?

To technically be independent you need to be 24 or married or an orphan or in the armed forces.  There may be some other criteria, im not sure.

To be independent personally, stop taking money from your dad and file your own taxes/FASFA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: DieCommie]
    #8734605 -

In order to be a resident for purposes of tuition reduction I need to have a permanent residence in Ohio for 12 months. That will start this September. I also need a job to show that I am paying for my living expenses, along with insurance. I have to register to vote in Ohio, get an Ohio drivers license, and register my car in Ohio. I cannot receive financial help outside the state of Ohio. I can use my savings account, since it has been in my name, and all the money in it has been there, for over a year prior to this September. I gotsta pay my own taxes too.

I have to pay for college myself. Currently my dad pays, and isn't willing to let me do this if I have to pay.

My question is, can I take out the loans in my name, but have my dad pay them, without the Ohio Board of Regents knowing the difference?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734617 -

When paying off a loan, they dont generally care who pays it.  If you take out a loan in your name, but he sends them a check every month I doubt it would raise any alarms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: DieCommie]
    #8734634 -

I'll call 'em and ask tomorrow.

I'm thinking that would qualify as outside help, so I don't think it will fly.

I'm just hoping the difference between in state and out of state tuition is greater than the tax break, then he'll let me do it and pay me back after I'm done with school.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: badchad]
    #8734712 -

badchad said:
These threads make me glad I'm done and even happier graduate school was free.



Agreed. Free master's degree + rent paid for, FTW.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: Redstorm]
    #8734723 -

Have you started, or do you start this fall?


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734732 -

Wouldn't it just be easier to learn some discipline and actually go to your classes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: College Loans [Re: jewunit]
    #8734739 -

I start my master's at the end of the month. Just moved into my place friday.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How many of you didn't go to college? Rebirtha 1,018 16 09/13/06 10:35 PM
by spacemonster
* Going to a college 20 minutes from home... Hitman203 1,003 7 04/03/06 06:37 PM
by RandalFlagg
* So im at College and dont really Like it. What are my options?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
TysonTomko 6,909 67 08/28/05 08:39 AM
by LiquidSmoke
* College Living: On or off campus; input?
( 1 2 all )
C20H25N3O 4,355 22 12/28/06 05:15 PM
by kaniz
* Applying to College Nermes 307 3 05/14/07 09:45 PM
by Gastronomicus
* Student Loans bekyndnunwind 824 5 04/17/07 09:07 PM
by champ
* College.... guitarguy 1,826 9 10/17/02 07:11 AM
by matts
* College Lyf
( 1 2 3 all )
indica 3,199 41 02/27/07 10:47 AM
by Madtowntripper

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,220 topic views. 4 members, 10 guests and 176 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 18 queries.