Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleguitarguy
Lost My Posts
College....
    #965035 - 10/16/02 03:42 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmmph...the is my second year at college

Sometimes I sit here just thinking...what the fuck am I doing here

Why did I come to college....I could be making $35k out of highschool yet I came to college.

Anyone else ever wonder that?

Is it because of the incessant hammering in high school that you have to do well so you can get into a good school? Or is it because I had to take classes on stuff that "prepares" students for the SATs so they do well and it looks well on applications?

My mum didn't got to college, shit, she dropped out of high school(my fault) and look at here now, she single-handedly started her own company which is doing well for its 4th year. She always told me that I didn't have to go if I felt that I didn't want to.

I came here not knowing what I want to do with my life and now after this semester I have to declare a major....I don't even know what I want to do but I'm still required to declare.

Shit, it's not like I've really learned that much. Sure, I know somewhat about psychological processes on the biological level and I know the micro-details of supply and demand but I really don't care all that much about it. It's nothing that I couldn't have bought a book and read about on my own. Instead, my mum pays $23k/year for me to come here when I don't even know what I want to do.

I guess I'll figure something out...who knows what I'll end up doing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: College.... [Re: guitarguy]
    #966444 - 10/16/02 06:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I thought the same thing. I did one year of college and realized I could go to work making decent money instead of doing 'that school shit'. Now I am in my mid 30s and I kick myself in the ass regularly for not pursuing the carrer I really wanted. Now I am too far in debt (mortgage, cars, bills, life in general) to go back to being a student and change careers and the only marketable skill I have is the construction trade I have been doing for almost 20 years.

Sure I could start night school and begin to chip away at an education. Eventually I could work myself into another career over time. But even after getting an education I would have to start at the bottom all over again in another trade. I would only make about half of what I do now.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I do for a living now. It has treated me well and I make good money at it (finally). But it is not the path I would choose if I could do it over again. Its hard to see the long-term picture when you are younger (at least it was for me). I would just say that if you know there is something you would really like to do with your life then put yourself in that direction now. It will be easier for you to do it now than later, trust me!!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: College.... [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #966457 - 10/16/02 06:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

And as a side note, if you don't know what you want to do then I suggest staying in school. It is a good place to hang out, have some fun, and figure out what you want to do in life. And in the meantime you will get a college degree, something that can never hurt in the future. You will have the rest of your life to make money and get in debt. Enjoy the easy life for now!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineSonnyBoyS
indomitable
Loc: CANADA
    #966509 - 10/16/02 06:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

True, very true :smirk: 

--------------------
----------------------------------------------

"Turn up the good!...Turn down the suck!" - Fubar

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: College.... [Re: SonnyBoy]
    #966882 - 10/16/02 08:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I worked in the grocery store while I went to Jr College and paid my way through, made pretty good money too..

I then went to UCDavis and continued till I finaly graduated with a degree in horticulture. All the while I worked the same job, got some student loans, all the while doing pretty good for myself.

Now Ive been out of college for a few years and still I havnt used anything Ive learned anywhere except for my own back yard... I still work the same job and Im doing much better than most of my friends that I graduated with...

Go Figure.

Why I went through the college process is because of my mother... She was a high school drop out too but she made me go.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: College.... [Re: GabbaDj]
    #967137 - 10/16/02 10:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Administrator

Invisibleguitarguy
Lost My Posts
Re: College.... [Re: matts]
    #967539 - 10/17/02 12:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that's the thing...

I think I'm going to go into the Computer Science school...get a CS degree and try to minor in Computer Graphic design. Living fairly close to boston back home, I should be able to land somewhat of a decent job right out of school....and if not, I've still got that other job to go back to.

Invisibleguitarguy
Lost My Posts
    #967542 - 10/17/02 12:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It wasn't so much that I was thinking about dropping but I have no idea what I want to do. I really have no motivation to look into fields, shit, I only applied to one school.

But in the post just above this, I think I'm going to try for Computer Science.

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: College.... [Re: matts]
    #967898 - 10/17/02 02:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

>>>yeah uh...sure you could make 35k .... but if you graduate college, you could start out at 50-60k, get into management and make 100k+<<<

Actualy I make close to $42K a year just as a butcher, which is what I was making when I graduated.

I recently finished an 8 month prep course for the Environmental Health Services Exam so that once I pass it I can move on to beef buyer/inspector and make $100K a year depending on what outfit I can get on at...

If I were to continue with the Landscapeing and horticulture trade I would still have to put in my time digging ditches and playing in the mud before I could have any sort of credibility or make any real money...

Besides I was a bad student.. I got into the university because my Jr College Professor got me in and I barely skirted by because nothing was of much interest to me...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: College.... [Re: GabbaDj]
    #968342 - 10/17/02 09:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Administrator

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub