Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineKerr Avon
not a n00b

Loc: Sector 5
Re: Spelling [Re: Irdamage]
    #8683646 - 07/26/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Grammar is distinct from spelling, but I suppose it's the same bag 'o tricks.

'It s importnt or elze teh contnent of ur msg becums uncleer.'  (I know that sentence was just an example).

I dunno, I'll probably get shot down for this but I actually find it a little disrespectful when it becomes a given that I have to decipher stuff like this. It's a bit like 'accomodate me and i'll accommodate you'.

:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
Re: Spelling [Re: Kerr Avon]
    #8683681 - 07/26/08 10:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think it qualifies as respectful just because it pleases your personal senses of language.

If I ask you to please perform fellatio upon me. It is grammatically correct and is even quite polite. Does that qualify me as respectful by your personal ideals of respectful language?

Or is it actually the content you might find offensive, rather than the words used to convey the image?

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Re: Spelling [Re: Kerr Avon]
    #8683717 - 07/26/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't ever use spellcheck unless I forgot how to spell something so I'm sure a few mistakes slip through.  But at least I try to write in a fashion that is coherent and legible (BTW, I just used spellcheck for legible :lol:).  But when people intentionally misspell words because they think it is cute or cool I just find it annoying.  And yes, I do find that I think of a person as less intelligent if they can't put together a proper sentence.  Capitalization, punctuation and good grammar are important if you want to be taken seriously by me.  Theres nothing funnier then someone trying to have a serious argument in the P&S or PAL forums when their every post looks like it was written by a kindergartner!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
Re: Spelling [Re: Irdamage]
    #8683760 - 07/26/08 11:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Most people who can't spell aren't dyslexic, they just use it as an excuse.

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Someone who can't spell or use punctuation in any kind of rational fashion immediately loses a ton of credibility w/ me

Quote:

Kerr Avon said:
I actually find it a little disrespectful when it becomes a given that I have to decipher stuff like this

Thank you gentlemen. Great examples of intelligent people using unintellectual reasoning to justify their beliefs. As I have said before, language is a great way for people to feel superior to others, but in this case their/they're/there really is no justification for it. Please use the brain and reasoning skills you have to interpret the words people use, in every conversation or text.

Respect and intelligence do not go hand in hand with a certain form of language.

Quote:

Kada said:
Alot of people get all fucked up and come here for entertainment, so I'm sure the last thing on their mind is if they spell correctly.

Sounds like a large portion of modern human life to me.

EDIT: Please pardon me if I offend you.

Edited by Irdamage (07/26/08 11:15 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder