Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Mildew smell, can I save it?
    #8641601 -

Please Help!  Ive searched the forum and have yet to find the answer Im looking for.

Im a newbie cultivator and last Friday I harvested my first ever flush of B+ shrooms from a casing.:crazy2:  I think my first flush was a little dry and that may have inhibited a robust harvest.  Im really hoping to get a good second. Although it wasnt a bumber crop (about 1 oz dry) everything to this point has gone pretty well - Till now!

Let me briefly describe what Ive done till now:

7 quart jars of wheat berries incubated 16 days at around 75 deg.  Birthed to dishtub about 11x13 with about 3/4%22 of vermic with lime & gypsum according to tek.  Using a bag with holes for tent. Temp around 65-70 deg for fruiting.

Pinned 12 days after casing and I completed harvest at 17 days.

Heres where Im concerned I went awry.  I dunked the casing in the same tub for 3 hours with tap water, same day as final shrooms were picked.  I drained it thoroughly, let it sit for 1/2 hour and drained what remaining water I could.  I patched and covered with the bag.

Since the dunk Ive notice (obviously) much higher moisture in the tent and have been exchanging air and fanning 3-4/day. 

Im now 4 days since the dunk and Im noticing a pretty good mildew odor - like a wet towel thats been on the floor.  There isnt any visual signs of contam besides a couple small spots of the green/blue that I extracted and a little wisps of what I assume was cobweb mold, which I also extracted. 

Id really like to see another flush (no pins yet), but Im concerned about the smell.

Is there anything I can do?  Can I remove the casing and clean it without harming it?

Ive read about bleach and seen conflicting posts.  But maybe it could save it?  Ive read that peroxide wont kill mold, is that true?

Please help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: racewall]
    #8641624 -

.

Edited by Alabama Slim (02/05/12 11:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mildew smell, can I save it? [Re: Alabama Slim]
    #8641834 -

Alabama Slim said:
Seems like a wait and see situation.



Hate to tell ya but your situation does not sound good to me,it is a wait and see situation but I'm guessing it will be time for "Dumpster tek" soon,in the meantime keep it away from any other potential projects you may have in the works and if you can isolate it from your grow area completely

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mildew smell, can I save it? [Re: Blutjager]
    #8641872 -

I checked on it this morning and I feel a bit encouraged.  The mildew smell is still there, but it's not terrible and I don't see any more contam on the surface. 

I do see what I think is new mycelial growth (as opposed to cobweb) popping through in spots, but still no pins (been 4 days since my harvest and dunk). 

I'll just keep FAE and a fine mist with a peroxide solution (9 parts water - 1 part Peroxide). 

I'm also considering leaving it without the tent for a couple hours.  Any advice with regards to that? 

Thanks everyone for the input.  I'll keep you updated as to what happens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mildew smell, can I save it? [Re: racewall]
    #8642104 -

I've has some really good luck with the "dumpster tek". I think I've mastered that technique! :dielaughing:


--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mildew smell, can I save it? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8666890 -

Well, to conclude this thread, the dumpster tek was the end result.  Turns out that what I thought was mycelium growing into the casing was just the nasty green mold! 

When I dissected the casing it was full of it and at the bottom, the substrate had turned into slimy brown muck, argghhhhh!

Anyway, live and learn.  I got almost an oz from the one flush and it was my first success.  I took em for a ride Saturday and they were very nice & potent!

Onward!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* funny smell diseased 1,066 5 07/27/02 10:08 AM
by bugabuga420
* mushroom smell...?
( 1 2 all )
stinkynuts138 2,699 24 07/15/03 02:15 PM
by soochi
* Molds/organizmes growing in PEROXIDE ?? Fd3000 1,288 6 07/20/02 05:22 PM
by Fd3000
* Case smells like feet? BigJohnson 772 6 02/19/03 11:58 AM
by Psychoslut
* Smell of Piss?Death? igore 659 4 05/27/03 04:43 PM
by Anonymous
* Perlite with mildew? DiscoveredShelf 830 3 10/06/02 10:36 PM
by matts
* casing, funky smell? Is this normal? Shroomdude 1,541 6 05/13/01 09:30 PM
by Shroomdude
* water/ hydrogen peroxide ratio pj541 6,600 5 07/14/01 02:00 PM
by Billyblastoff

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,100 topic views. 17 members, 67 guests and 276 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.