Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomdude
journeyman

casing, funky smell? Is this normal?
    #316296 - 05/13/01 01:18 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I have now (for the 2nd time) started casing. I am using crumbled (100% colonized) P. Cub. B+ using B.R. & Verm. Now, I crumbled these babies, placed them in a ziploc bag, and waited for about 20 hours to let them regenerate a bit.

The LAST time I tried this, I just crumbled the cakes into a tupperware container (bottom and sides were blacked out) on top of a layer of damp verm. and covered with a thin layer of verm and closed the lid. Airtight that is, for about 2 days. The second day, I opened it up and it smelled like fermenting fruit - not like mushrooms.

Now, I crumbled the cakes smaller this time, and when I opened the bag this morning, I smelled that same smell again. Is this normal, or what am I doing wrong? I thought that it may have been contaminated verm before, but that's why I kept it separate this time until I could make sure things would be normal. Now, I did spray the cakes before and after crumbling with a mixture of peroxide and water just to eliminate any possibility of contamination to the cake.

All I need to know is if that smell means good or bad.

Thanks for taking the time to read the book here guys and gals!

Myceli__what????

--------------------
Myceli__what????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: casing, funky smell? Is this normal? [Re: Shroomdude]
    #316322 - 05/13/01 02:11 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It should smell slightly sweet and earthy.

Offlinegratefulredhead

Loc: Off the map....
    #316329 - 05/13/01 02:21 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

that smell is not good--like puscle said, should smell earthy, mushroomy and good...

did you pasteurize your casing? sounds like you have some contam. might spray lightly with H2O2, and see what happens, if mycelium grows or not...

good luck.

--------------------

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #316333 - 05/13/01 02:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

your substrate shoud be transfered immediately from the bag into the container(i.e. dont let it sit around for a day and "regenerate") and cased...oh yea and did you use any PEROXIDE????? peace and good luck ...

p.s. me tinks those rotting fruit smelling casings are as good as gone

"like a Japanese Cowboy or a blind man on skates"Ween
"you must make sure that the lady's pure for the Funky Cold Medina"Tone Loc

Edited by BrownPastures on 05/13/01 04:29 PM.

OfflineFalstaff
journeyman
Re: casing, funky smell? Is this normal? [Re: BrownPastures]
    #316356 - 05/13/01 03:17 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I second that. Rotting fruit smell = bad news. Never seen one pull through that had that smell.

ooh ooh that smell. Can you smell that smell?

Anonymous

Re: casing, funky smell? Is this normal? [Re: puscle]
    #316412 - 05/13/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

No offence, but you guys are ALL wrong ('cept puscle, he's always right :smile:.  That smell is because you closed your casing 'airtight' during its run.  Next time, poke some small holes in the lid while you incubate it, it still needs to breathe.  And YES it is a good idea too let the mycelium recover for 20 hours in a ziplock, or in the pan. Also whoever said not to use peroxide is correct, it is unneccesary in casing, and will cause more harm than good.

:smile::):):)

OfflineShroomdude
journeyman

Re: casing, funky smell? Is this normal? [Re: Anonymous]
    #316563 - 05/13/01 09:30 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a bundle there Pavlov's Dog! I hope I will succeed this time - actually my dog is doing this as well, so I am speaking for him of course, heh heh!
Thanks again everyone for their input - rock on!

Myceli__what????

--------------------
Myceli__what????

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix