Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Canada one step closer toward legalization?
    #862934 - 09/04/02 05:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I just saw a news story saying that the canadian senate had agreed thatthey need to legalize MJ use for adults, stating that scientific evidence overwhelminglly (direct quote) indicates it's use is less harmful than alcohol. They say they should put it under the same type of laws that control alchol, allowing for personal usage.
BOOYAH CANADAH!
Can anybody translate what all that really means?
My buddy tells me something about there being to senates, then to the queens court of something and then its legal. Is this correct?
I dont know what my senate does, are we closer towards legal pot now than before?

--------------------

Edited by blinkidiot (09/04/02 05:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: blink]
    #863097 - 09/04/02 07:02 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Please post a link to an article or something. I looked for it but couldn't find it.

Anyway, if the bill has been passed by the Senate (I'd be very surprised if it were), then to become law all it needs is Royal Assent. This means the Queen has to approve it. Since the Queen doesn't actually do ANYTHING, Royal Assent can be given by the Governor General of Canada. Usually when bills pass the senate, the Governor General will in turn approve it. More of a formality than anything.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Edited by CyberChump (09/04/02 07:07 AM)

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #863131 - 09/04/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I looked and cannot find one yet. Since I saw in on Tv, it may not be in print yet.
meh, if anybody finds out details about it, lemme know

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

#863238 - 09/04/02 08:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'll post it if I find it. If what you described really happened it will be on www.norml.org in no time.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #863286 - 09/04/02 09:00 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I dont know how Canadian government works but we have all sorts of politicians who get to speak in some verry important hearings and they often say the same thing about Marijuana... Nothing changes...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #863303 - 09/04/02 09:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Have no fear...Rono, the media bloodhound is here.

Here's a link Pot less harmful than alcohol: Senate report
The debate over decriminalization

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (09/04/02 10:05 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #863317 - 09/04/02 09:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #863326 - 09/04/02 09:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Ummm...that's the same link.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Rono]
    #863347 - 09/04/02 09:48 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

/me reads article

Aaah.

God the CPA is dumb.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#863356 - 09/04/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I know! You would think that the CPA would love this! Making less work for them, so they can focus on the real criminals. Apparently the CPA is interested in facts...

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #863387 - 09/04/02 10:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

It's difficult for a country to legalise any drugs because in the early seventies the US insisted every country sign a UN treaty making all drugs illegal. The problem is divorcing yourself legally from this UN treaty. It can be done but it's tricky which is why "decriminialising" is preferred over legalisation.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #863432 - 09/04/02 10:46 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Offlineleafblowerz
Shroom mumbler
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #863533 - 09/04/02 11:38 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hell, here is the article.

Canadian Panel Urges Legalization of Marijuana Use
Wed Sep 4, 2:46 PM ET
By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A panel set up by Canada's Senate recommended on Wednesday that the government legalize the use of marijuana, saying it should be sold on a regulated basis like alcohol.

The report by the Senate -- the unelected upper house of Parliament -- adds to a growing debate in Canada over what to do about the widespread use of marijuana and the attraction the illegal drug holds for organized crime.

The report is also likely to trigger alarm in the United States, where some politicians are already unhappy about the amount of Canadian-grown marijuana crossing the border.

Canadian Justice Minister Martin Cauchon said in July he was considering whether to decriminalize marijuana but the Senate's special committee on illegal drugs urged him to go much further.

"Essentially the committee recommends from now on that marijuana be legalized and available for restricted use, so Canadians can choose whether to consume it or not," said committee chairman Sen. Pierre Claude Nolin.

The committee concluded that marijuana was not a so-called gateway drug -- one which would lead to the use of stronger narcotics -- and was in fact much less dangerous than alcohol.

More than 20,000 people a year are arrested in Canada for using marijuana but the committee said the continued criminalization of the drug was having no effect at all.

Canadian police say the multibillion-dollar marijuana industry is largely controlled by organized crime groups. Illegal marijuana growing is a major industry in the western province of British Columbia, with much of the product exported to the United States.

Nolin said it was clear that prohibition was "a cop-out" that would never be effective and called for an amnesty be declared for all marijuana users.

"In a free society such as ours it is up to each person to decide whether they want to use cannabis or not. We do not want to encourage this consumption any more than we encourage the consumption of alcohol," he said.

Critics of current Canadian policy say that legalizing marijuana use would deal a massive blow to crime groups.

But U.S. politicians have expressed unhappiness with the idea of Canada in any way easing its stance on marijuana and some say if Ottawa did relax its rules, this could lead to a clampdown on the countries' long joint border.

Last year, to noises of unhappiness from south of the border, Canada announced it would permit seriously ill people to use state-grown medical marijuana to ease their pain. Ottawa contracted a firm to grow the first batch but has since cooled to the idea, saying more tests were needed.

In a hefty five-volume report that took two years to complete, the Senate special committee said Canada should hold talks with Washington to produce a bilateral policy.

"We believe our relationships with our friends are solid enough to work out the implications of what we believe we should do for our own citizens," Nolin told a news conference to mark the release of the report.

Offlinefoghorn
enthusiast
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #863546 - 09/04/02 11:41 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--
I dont know how Canadian government works but we have all sorts of politicians who get to speak in some verry important hearings and they often say the same thing about Marijuana... Nothing changes...
--

Canadian politics do indeed work a bit differently. The politicians you speak of in the states campeign to stay in power, that is, they run around doing crazy shit kissing babies making speeches etc to win public support. Senators in Canada however, are appointed by the PM, they don't have to to shit all to maintain their position or fight for public relations.

I think this report is signifigant for a couple of reasons, mainly, the senate in Canada is notorious for doing jack shit year round; the fact that they put out this report is very surprising and carries alot of sway in canadian politics. The senate also makes up half of the legislature in Canada, and is appointed by our Liberal Prime Minister, the guy who actually makes decisions!

I dont know if this takes Canada any closer to legalization though, since the main reason we havn't made any progress yet, is from US intervention to preserve their own drug laws.

but reports like this really raise awareness in Canada thanks mostly to the ol' CBC... i am optimistic!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: foghorn]
    #863562 - 09/04/02 11:52 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

But U.S. politicians have expressed unhappiness with the idea of Canada in any way easing its stance on marijuana and some say if Ottawa did relax its rules, this could lead to a clampdown on the countries' long joint border.

Holy fuck that really pisses me off...Once again, the U.S. trying to dictate the actions of another country. (Sorry to any offended yanks) Pretty soon they are gonna bomb the fuck out of Canada because we're all terrorist drug dealers in control of alot of oil. For the love of god, would you people down south PLEASE elect someone besides a Democrat or Republican? I don't care it it's a trained chimp that plays the kazoo with his asshole..as long as he let's me smoke my weed.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #863847 - 09/04/02 02:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Whenever this kind of thing happens, you can always trust the CPA to come forth and say something retarded.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #864020 - 09/04/02 04:29 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I agree,  If anything happens, it'll be without US support.  I think that the US may try to intimidate us into not legalising simply because they are so fucknig ignorent.  A big chunk of them when asked why MJ is bad will answer because it's illegal.  When asked for other reasons, they find none.  So what happens when it's not illegal anymore?  Is it still bad? You bet, cause george W says so...... :mad:

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #864027 - 09/04/02 04:36 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry to post whore but here is the head senators web page
i suggest any canadian's that agree with this recommenadtion thank him for his integrity
Senator page

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #864034 - 09/04/02 04:38 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If you want the actual report, check this out. Of course it extremely wordy but I looked through it and found a few interesting tidbits. Especially in section 2.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/Committee_SenRep.asp?Language=E&Parl=37&Ses=1&comm_id=85

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Canada one step closer toward legalization? [Re: Phluck]
    #864044 - 09/04/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Kickin!
A full report!
I'm just surprised to see so much information availible as it is canadian law....
I still dont even know all the legalities of mushrooms for SURE.
Check out chapters 6-10 in section outlined above
good read

--------------------

Edited by blinkidiot (09/04/02 04:54 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds