Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJazzem
Re: New Bulk Straw Method?
    #85372 - 05/08/00 10:08 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, that has been posted before awhile back
I actually bookmarked it, looks pretty dammmmmmmm good! I dont' know if anyone has
tried it yet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: New Bulk Straw Method? [Re: Jazzem]
    #85374 - 05/08/00 04:41 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

wish i had 20 psilocyben "logs" hangin in my attic.

Anonymous

#85375 - 05/08/00 07:37 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

It does form primordia within the plastic. But it prefers growing them on places where it can get some fresh air as well (eg, near holes in the plastic)
Stammets knows all about it. Read the second testament.

Anonymous

#85376 - 05/08/00 08:36 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Yea...I assumed that they would form under the plastic, as they do in mason jars, but can anyone think of a way to counter-act that action? This seems like a very laid-back and easy approach to mushroom growing, and would be great to harnass for psilo shroom growing. C'mon fellas!

Anonymous

#85377 - 05/08/00 09:00 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Try using red bags. Or paint them red or whatever. primordia don?t form in the red wavelengths. And they don?t form if they are formed somewhere else.

Anonymous

#85378 - 05/09/00 01:50 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

i had posted it a while back
only prob is space and the cooker
it all boils down to $$$$$$

Anonymous

#85379 - 05/11/00 04:41 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, money doesn't really seem to be a problem here. Because straw is pretty resistant, this guy here just pasteurizes it with a propane burner, the kind you use in barbecues. Space might be a problem if you don't have an entire 20x20 room to devote to your illict cultivation, but I'm sure this tek could be applied to a various number of situations and sizes.
Personally, I'm planning on trying this technique out (on a smaller scale and with legal gourmet mushrooms of course). I think it might prove worth the effort

Anonymous

#85380 - 05/15/00 09:05 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

If my memory serves me correct, those collumns are for Oysters. The challenge for a certain other species is how would you case something vertically, unless you could get uncased straw to fruit. Or is it because the bag holds in moisture, I don't know. I've been contemplating a chicken wire tower, but the casing dillemna has me stumped.

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest US
    #85381 - 05/15/00 05:48 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

The cubies will fruit on uncased straw. Not as much as cased though. The more spawn used for innoculation, the better the flushes i've noticed.

------------------
night train

--------------------
Lil' Shop of Spores - Exotic Mushroom Spores From Around the World
Save 10% Off Any Order Use Coupon Code: SHROOMERY

OfflinePanTrop
enthusiast
Loc: Washington
    #85382 - 05/15/00 06:07 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

errrr, I dont know why this seems to escape everyone, but you dont have to have a massive room to do colums..... hell you can even do them horizontally if you want to. you can also use black trash bags in the 5 gallon size or larger but the main thing is dont make it over a diamter of 12" or your gonna see problems....

oh, and you can use chicken wire but the problem is there is too much surface area exposed to the air and the substrate drys out rapidly.....to overcome this is rather simple.....raise the humidity while its colonizing( basically place it in your fruiting chamber as soon as you have the sbstrate placed in the chicken wire)as for casing it you could create another chicken wire frame to go over the one of only straw.....this would prolly work for peat casings but not sure about this working for soil based casings.

--------------------
" My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk!"

Anonymous

#85383 - 05/16/00 10:00 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Ummm what about contams? Im sure that isnt the most sterile way of working? i heard contams totally over grow straw!
True false?

Anonymous

#85384 - 05/21/00 12:02 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Straw is actually pretty resistant to contamination. I had a bit of a problems with gnats breeding in it while I was in Florida, but otherwise no need to be sterile.
I have a suggestion for adapting this techniqe to small scale cultivation. Try using the bags that newspapers are delivered in. Newsprint is boiled before printing, so the paper is actually pretty close to sterile anyway. One could hang these bags along the clothes bar in an empty closet to colonize, or hang them on dowels laid out across the top of a large rubbermaid-type plastic tote. Put some perlite in the bottom, and lay a plastic dropcloth over the top, and you have your own mini growroom. This method of hanging columns could vastly increase your growing area in the limited confines of a terrarium. Use a board with 16 penny nails instead of arrowheads. As I understand it in these artificial log style cultures, the plastic itself acts as a casing layer. I recall a picture in one of Stamets books showing a large tray of substrate cased only with a tight-fitting sheet of plastic with regulary spaced holes punched in it. The mycelium only seems to fruit at the holes where it comes in contact with the fresh air.
If anyone tries this little adaptation before I get a chance to, post your results.

------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird get wired.

Anonymous

#85385 - 05/20/00 10:15 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Here is another option. You can buy the refill bags for a Seal-A-Meal. They come in sleeves that can be cut to any length, and the bottom can be sealed with the Seal-A-Meal. The bags are boilable, so cleanliness should not be a problem. I don't think that they cost too much, and a large funnel is sold with the bags for filling. Bing, bang, boom. Straw mini-logs here I come. :biggrin:

------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird get wired.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag