Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Brugman]
    #8404111 -

i think frances is the best work from them so far. i didnt get it the first 5 or 6 listens, but once it clicked, i understood it. it's a true piece of art and something i will still give a listen decades from now.


--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Brugman]
    #8404125 -

Wow, so far this shit rocks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Brugman]
    #8404288 -

Heh, I went and downloaded Frances the Mute, also. I really like this band, already, first listen. They're perfect for a certain headspace, one that I'm usually in.

*download spree*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Brugman]
    #8404291 -

Oh noez, another one sucked in!


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404350 -

I don't know the fuck your talking about. The volta is the shit! I like everything they've put out. Amputechure was plain insanity. Three doses later I still can't make sense of it. I haven't seen the Volta live yet but that's on my list of things to do this summer. I have no doubt their show would be mind blowing.

But I still don't why your being an asshole when talking about music...? What makes your opinion good? And what makes a true volta van? :lol: Am I not a true volta fan because I fucking love Amputechure(as all their shit) and have never seen them live? :lol:

:getstoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: daytripper05]
    #8404361 -

I never called anyone a true Volta fan, and if I did I meant it in the sense that I am not a fan. I find that most people like De-Loused the most. Obviously people will disagree. I wasn't the one to be a dick first, either. In fact my first two posts said nothing rude about the band at all.

As for their live performance: I've seen them once. I contemplated going to see them a second time this year in Columbus, but it was sold out (and apparently they have yet to actually play.) It left a lot to be desired. Far to space-jammy (I don't mean the movie) for me, and I find Cedric's voice annoying, even grating at times.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404362 -

i'm a true voltron fan :frown:


--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404368 -

jewunit said:
I think even most TMV fans agree De-Loused is their best work.




:lol:

What a loaded statement coming from a person who admittedly hasn't even heard all their albums.

De-Loused is their most sophomoric release.  Everything about it, compared to their following releases, is amateurish sounding.  Even Cedric's voice changes with the progression of albums and with every album released his voice becomes an even more integral part of the music.  Everything about every release seems to get more complex and intricate.

My favorite album by far is Amputechture.  Listen to Day of the Baphomets if you want to hear what Mars Volta is REALLY about.

I'm seeing them play on Sunday night and cannot fucking wait.  :smile:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404373 -

jewunit said:
Yes, I would expect a great band to get better with each release.
Unfortunately The Mars Volta is far from a great band.
I think De-Loused is their best album, I don't know what's so fucking hard to understand about that, and the only album I like to boot.

And don't fucking talk to me about complex music or any of that bullshit. I've given their other stuff a fair chance and to be honest it's really fucking annoying. They come off as pretentious in their music, and their live show is a joke (I didn't want to do any of this because I wasn't completely trying to thread jack or rain on Vandago's parade.)

I'm sorry you think something is great and I don't, do me a favor and look up subjective on dictionary.com, and while you're at it go fuck yourself.



Guess I didn't make it clear enough that I've listened to all of their work, so I'll state it plainly.

I've listened to all their albums. I remember checking the record stores for a while after De-Loused to see if they had any new material. (I didn't know when it came out since I heard it from a friend, but he must have gotten it right when it came out because I remember looking for over a year.)

Yes, saying "Most" was an overstatement, but I have found that's the most commonly accepted release. Maybe because it's more accessible (or sophomoric as you put it.)


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404376 -

jewunit said:
jewunit said:
Yes, I would expect a great band to get better with each release.
Unfortunately The Mars Volta is far from a great band.
I think De-Loused is their best album, I don't know what's so fucking hard to understand about that, and the only album I like to boot.

And don't fucking talk to me about complex music or any of that bullshit. I've given their other stuff a fair chance and to be honest it's really fucking annoying. They come off as pretentious in their music, and their live show is a joke (I didn't want to do any of this because I wasn't completely trying to thread jack or rain on Vandago's parade.)

I'm sorry you think something is great and I don't, do me a favor and look up subjective on dictionary.com, and while you're at it go fuck yourself.






I bet you're obsessed with Radiohead.  :smirk:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8404378 -

I like them, in fact I'd say they're one of my favorites, but I'd hardly say obsessed. Just because I made a post about 'em doesn't mean I wanna sleep with 'em :crankey:


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404383 -

Settle down, brah, I respect your opinion on anything other than music, you know that.  :lol:


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8404385 -

:lol:
Thanks :bored:


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: jewunit]
    #8404521 -

Man, can't believe I missed this thread!  Yeah the volta is my favorite band atm.  I do agree that De-loused is their best complete album but I think all of their best songs and moments reside on newer albums.  I fucking love their vibe though, it's like this psychedelic horrific biblical mexican vibe all while playing heavy as shit music.  That's how I would describe it, anyways :lol:

If you don't like it, I can definitely see that, but I can't get enough volta.  I love em for exactly what they are.


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: g00ru]
    #8404531 -

I don't even consider them "heavy".


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8404534 -

Not heavy like Lamb of God or something. But some of their riffs just scream "heavy" to me. They're just so powerful. You don't consider Ourorobous (sp?) heavy?


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: vandago]
    #8404538 -

Tremulant EP is my fav. Met Ikey one time... he's a nice guy. Took like 10 people to his car to listen to Francis the Mute before it came out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: g00ru]
    #8404545 -

Not at all. Its Volty.

Ouroborous is actually my favorite track off of Bedlam.

Dont you ever, ever, ever trust my mercy.


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8404557 -

Hey, buddy,

you better not talk if you came here for semantics.


--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The mars volta. [Re: g00ru]
    #8404590 -

My bro saw The Mars Volta last night in Cleveland, i'll have to ask him how it went.


--------------------
one love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The Mars Volta
( 1 2 all )
FunkyLoFi 3,244 34 02/06/07 05:38 PM
by Psilocybeingzz
* Sparta>The Mars Volta
( 1 2 all )
jewunit 1,670 26 02/05/08 04:21 PM
by Astral_JL
* Well, ummm....yes. Mars Volta Live = AMAZING Penguarky Tunguin 712 7 05/21/08 08:52 AM
by Penguarky Tunguin
* The Mars Volta, Tool, Radiohead & more "Piano Cover" songs. openmind 816 5 11/05/08 07:13 AM
by Brugman
* Dad hates Mars Volta
( 1 2 all )
freddurgan 1,552 20 07/29/05 10:20 PM
by abhi
* Frances the Mute (Mars Volta) bf6 1,003 12 03/02/05 05:59 PM
by Kada
* Cynic = Heavier Mars Volta Rocker232 526 6 07/23/09 09:37 PM
by Viveka
* are the mars volta any good? iI WENT TO SEE THEM BY COMPLETE RANDOMNESS :)
( 1 2 all )
ZippoZM 1,782 34 06/03/05 09:13 PM
by mecreateme

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,030 topic views. 3 members, 15 guests and 163 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 18 queries.