Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #6536677 - 02/06/07 12:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LoFiFunk said:
De-Loused felt like a story to me. Granted I was pretty deep in the psychedelic realm, I thought they did a great job of taking me where they wanted me to go. Some bands are better in the studio, some bands are better live, what are you gonna do?

It was a story. I'll give you a million bucks if you knew what the hell story they were telling though without knowing any background info.

As for Radiohead, I disagree, all fo their albums are solid except Pabloy Honey, but that was a different band basically. And live they are also enjoyable.

Someone said they saw MV live and didn't like it, and maybe they would if they were stoned. You should never have to be under the influence of any drug to enjoy music. That's not good music.

--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefetalscab
 User Gallery

Loc: not quite sure? Flag
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: jewunit]
    #6536881 - 02/06/07 01:27 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Quote:

LoFiFunk said:

Someone said they saw MV live and didn't like it, and maybe they would if they were stoned. You should never have to be under the influence of any drug to enjoy music. That's not good music.

i think thats the point..."thats not good music"
at the drive in aint half bad though!
i saw mars volta with system of a down and bad acid trip...i went to see bad acid trip and to tell you the truth they were the only ones worth a damn! but it was worth 30 bucks and a couple of shitty sets to see them.

--------------------
The mind is a bright blue sky
Clouds are thoughts and feelings floating by
You have them but you are not them
Whatever you do
Don't let them have you

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6537007 - 02/06/07 02:27 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

jewunit said:
Mars Volta is the most over rated band ever.

Sorry, that distinction goes to Radiohead.  Easily.

:rolleyes:

People just love to slap that overrated label on bands...  Like it's a band's fault that people sensationalize them.  Radiohead is "overrated" because they are fantastic.  Music critics revere them and gush about them like they did Kurt Cobain.  Nobody can live up to statements like "the greatest band of the 21st century," or "Thom Yorke is pure genius."  Why should that count as a strike against them?

This happens with any band that blows enough minds: Tool, Zeppelin, The Stones, The Grateful Dead...  Let's all get over it.

As for Mars Volta, they too are "overrated" because (to their fans) they are so good that people have a tendency to gush about them...  not the band's fault.  Deloused in the Comatorium is fucking brilliant IMHO.  Frances the Mute just frustrates me with its long, long periods of cacophony. Mostly not for me really.  The new disc is great, but I still prefer Deloused. 

As great as I think they are though, I can fully understand how people can hate their music.  It's definitely not for everybody.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: fetalscab]
    #6537008 - 02/06/07 02:28 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Eh, he kind of said it like it was his fault for not being stoned when he saw them, that's why I said it.

--------------------
!

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#6537020 - 02/06/07 02:34 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

Sorry, that distinction goes to Radiohead. Easily.

for sure, its just on a different magnitude. I don't know what I'd least want to sit through--thom york's insipid wailing or mars volta's pseudo-hip, meaningless garbage.

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: The Mars Volta [Re: Chazzersize]
    #6537027 - 02/06/07 02:36 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Chazzersize said:
Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

Sorry, that distinction goes to Radiohead. Easily.

The Rolling Stones easily fall into this category as well.

Sorry, I can't go that far. The stones are underrated, as far as I'm concerned. 2005's "A Bigger Bang" album proves they're still capable of creating perfect fucking rock and roll. But I didn't hear any of that album in the media or on the radio.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: Noviseer]
    #6537032 - 02/06/07 02:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think there are going to be a lot of people who think that ALL "legendary" or "ground-breaking" bands are over rated. Some think the Dead are, some think the Stones are, some think Bob Dylan is, some think Hendrix is. It's an inevitable part of music. However, I think the Mars Volta is over rated because people will honestly talk about them like they are one of the greatest things in music ever, and they clearly are not. I do enjoy listening to Deloused, don't get me wrong, but please, everyone knows ATDI was better, and if they were better how can MV be amazing?

--------------------
!

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6537039 - 02/06/07 02:43 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
people will honestly talk about them like they are one of the greatest things in music ever, and they clearly are not. I do enjoy listening to Deloused, don't get me wrong, but please, everyone knows ATDI was better, and if they were better how can MV be amazing?

Wow that's nice and objective.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6537159 - 02/06/07 03:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I know. Not to mention one band can be worse than the next, but that doesn't mean they BOTH aren't amazing.
I just don't like MV nearly as much as I used to (when Deloused was their only album), and I'm also bitter that I never got to see ATDI live. But really, some of the stuff MV does just makes no musical sense.

I will say their conga players was pretty nice. Good enough that RHCP felt he should play a song with them. And RHCP is damn good, especially live, one of the best live acts I've ever seen. (Except Kiedis and Smith coming out in Michigan gear and playing Hail to the Victors, although that was also very humorous. Probably the first time in a long time they've been booed that loudly.)

--------------------
!

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: Noviseer]
    #6537174 - 02/06/07 03:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

jewunit said:

Sorry, that distinction goes to Radiohead.  Easily.

for sure, its just on a different magnitude.  I don't know what I'd least want to sit through--thom york's insipid wailing or mars volta's pseudo-hip, meaningless garbage.

:lol:  :thumbup:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6537189 - 02/06/07 03:45 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i love the mars volta. i think their albums are great and their live shows are amazing.

for those who said they saw them and they sucked, was it on the deloused tour? i never saw them on that tour but i've seen video clips of that era and they did suck live back then..cedric couldn't hit all the notes and their jamming style hadn't fully come together.

they've really pulled together though imo. they are dead on and have some amazing improv going on. and the energy is just amazing. i've seen them 3 times and they were awesome. the late night show they played at bonnaroo was mind blowing and stands in my top 10 of best shows i've ever seen.

for people who have never seen them i reccomend seeing them when they headline one of their own tours because the bands they open for usually aren't similar musically and you end up with a bunch of retards who don't get it or won't give it a chance heckling and booing, and that's really kind of a drag for the fans and the band. that's what happened when i saw them open for SOAD. it was annoying to me. I can't even begin to imagine trying to see them open for a perfect circle...tool/perfect circle fans overall (in my experiance seeing the two bands a combined 6 times) can be a very closed minded bunch of people. particularly at tool shows. tool always gets a band they respect musically and really like (and they have excellent taste imo) and the fans don't respect that at all. i find it a bit ironic considering most of maynards lyrics.

anyways...seeing them when they aren't opening will have a much better vibe.

and if you disagree with everything i just said, that's ok too. just stating my opinion on the matter

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #6537196 - 02/06/07 03:49 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

No, I saw them about three months ago. I couldn't tell you if Cedric was hitting notes or not, you couldn't hear him over every single person in the band wailing on whatever instrument they were playing at the time. There is no sense of dynamic. I don't think their jamming is together at all, and the improv ain't so hot either. You can't just play shit, you have to fit inside chords, dynamics, tempos, etc. etc. Improv is the hardest aspect to music, and many MANY people have no clue what they're actually doing, and at times I got the feeling Volta was one such group.

As for the crowd response, it was pretty positive, not a ton of people, but the people who showed up to see them clearly wanted to and enjoyed it, so it's not like they weren't feeling the music or anything.

And I understand you're stating your opinion, I'm not saying you're wrong, because it's music and I'm sure I listen to plenty of stuff that people here wouldn't appreciate. I just don't find MV live appealing.

--------------------
!

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6537207 - 02/06/07 03:52 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i also haven't seen them since their new album was released so i haven't seen their recent live shows. all the shows i saw were from the frances the mute album. so who knows :shrug:

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: The Mars Volta [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #6537229 - 02/06/07 04:05 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Ha, their worst album was their best tour, I find that funny.

--------------------
!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #6537399 - 02/06/07 05:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Radiohead may be "overrated" by some but I really like putting on some Radiohead now and then. And the Stones, I always bug my fried that what I don't like about the Stones is that I find lots of the music very uninteresting. They are so "big" and they did so much. But I usually just don't care. Its not unique or interesting to me. I know they have some good songs. I won't say they are bad song writers, but I like what I consider interesting unique music... And the Stones aren't it IMHO :wink: Of course.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom