Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Quart Jar Tek
    #837681 - 08/23/02 06:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Im using the quart jar method (revisited) found on the grow/find with fairly good success, I know it isn't the most popular tek out there, but I had an abundance of whole brown rice and a box of quart canning jars in my attic (coincidence?) anyway, Im growing Golden Teacher and Cambos' from FSRE and B+ from a syringe from Sporeworks, I lost two out of twelve jars to contam and most of the jars are colonizing very well especially the B+ with no signs of contam so far. I have one of the fully colonized B+ jars sitting out and getting indirect sunlight for 8-10 hours a day, How long before pinning should begin? I also have a styrofoam cooler which Im going to modify into a growing chamber (Cutting of a section on the lid and replacing with plastic wrap, placing a black shirt on the bottom to simulate earth and sterilizing, of course) will this work? Does the humidity have to be relativley high during the pinning process? and will misting with sterlie water directly over the jars once they're in the fruiting chamber work?(they're not cased) I really could'nt find a lot of info on the quart jar tek and some tips would be helpful, and sorry for the length but I find a lot of post's on the forums to be really hard to read.

Any help would be appreciated!

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNatural2me
Bonafied Friar!

Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: soochi]
    #837761 - 08/23/02 07:27 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i would put perlite on the bottom of ur cooler to keep the humidity high before pinning (fanning twice a day).. then when pins start appearing i would fan 4 times a day to drop the humidity a bit, anyone else wanna post their idea?

--------------------
EvEryThInG In ThIs PoSt Is CoMpLeTlY A WoRk oF FiCtIoN AnD Is NoT To Be TaKeN SeRiOuSlY!!

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

#837764 - 08/23/02 07:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It shouldn't be too long before they start to pin (for the fully colonized ones) so just leave them alone for a while (at the same time checking in on them every now and then) and you should be on your way . yes that should work. But you should paint the sides black or find some other way to do that so you can get direct light from the top (just a suggestion). My little friend grows straight out of the quart jars. He cut laminating plastic out the size of the cap and replaced the center ring (from the 2-piece lids) with that. He also surrounds the sides of the jars with a cover, he uses wristbands (just another suggestion).
If misting is necessary (i never had that problem because the humidity stays in the jar) spray the top and it will leak in. Oh, BTW, he keep the lids loose so they can exchange air.

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

Edited by rheidiohed121 (08/23/02 07:37 AM)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: rheidiohed121]
    #837984 - 08/23/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Do you think plastic wrap loosley placed on top then the ring lightly screwed on would also work? the laminated plastic idea is great and I'll think I do it, but just surveying my options??

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinerheidiohed121
Simeon

#837994 - 08/23/02 09:22 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Plastic wrap is a good idea because it will let light through. You can also cut out a portion of the lid and tape/glue a clear plastic sheet also. Either way you need a cover so you can have a contained micro-environment for the mycelium/mushrooms. Good Luck and have fun!

--------------------
i apologize if i aide in the spreading of any misinformation

"Adventavit asinus,
Pulcher et fortissimus"

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#841010 - 08/24/02 04:44 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Checked on my jars and still no pins(getting around 10-12 hours of indirect sunlight), but I gues patience is the key, but I was wondering, as for the rest of my jars, four of which are pretty close to full colonization, would it be a good idea to place them in a warmer place? right now, I keep them in the jar box lined with foil and wrapped in a trash bag in my bedroom cabinet, I'm not sure what the temp is but we keep the AC on pretty much all day and it feels cool in the house all the time, I just inoculated a couple more jars with B+ today and I was thinking if maybe placing the box in a warmer area would be better for growth, I was thinking that maybe because I colonized them(the almost full colonized jars) in a cool enviroment that it would make the pinning cycle a slow gut-renching one, any ideas? and as always, thanks for the input and info.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #841136 - 08/24/02 05:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Try putting the plastic wrap on and using a rubber band to secure it. This will make it easy to remove if need be and also reduce wear on the plastic from the ring being screwed on. A former 'student' uses this innovation on everything from small casings to full size bins of straw....

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #841344 - 08/24/02 08:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#850636 - 08/29/02 06:52 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

would it be a good idea to poke small holes into the plastic wrap? I have the wrap and the rings on very loose, would this suffice for air exchange?

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: Natural2me]
    #850644 - 08/29/02 06:56 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

oh, and could low humidity be the cause of my jars taking forever to pin? i have them in my cooler with a damp black shirt on the bottom, they're getting light 10 hours a day and I cold shocked them last week? what's goin' on? or is it just my impatience?

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinef0EtUS
Always Thirsty
Loc: maryland, USA
    #850737 - 08/29/02 07:58 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

case em.... dont try to fruit off whole grains without a casing...

Offlinefreshjive
G.I. Joeprobably atemushrooms
Loc: CubensisVille
Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: f0EtUS]
    #851583 - 08/29/02 04:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Casing is not tha answer in this situation, an impatient person would try to case them now, and mess up the whole process. My pet turtle has cakes that are just forming pins and were dunked the 21st. Be patient, the goodness will come I promise. Good Luck and dont' forget to send me a print :P

Freshijve

--------------------
There are passengers, and there are drivers.
-Shroomers wanted!

Offlinef0EtUS
Always Thirsty
Loc: maryland, USA
Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: freshjive]
    #852293 - 08/29/02 09:29 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it is not a cake it is a jar filled with rice.

Offlinegonnadoit
man with a plan
    #852318 - 08/29/02 10:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My friend has done this method before and he can tell you this: If you used whole brown rice and pressure cooked it into one big mush ball you will fail. The mycelium can not penatrate that big mush ball, all he got was a couple pins and then the pins aborted......and.......ble ble ble THATS ALL FOLKS!

He would recomend that you mix half verm and half brown rice, after sterilization this mix will alow the mycelium to fully colonize the mush ball and fruit the good stuff..........Thank you....drive thru.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Quart Jar Tek [Re: gonnadoit]
    #853555 - 08/30/02 03:23 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I've actually got my water to rice ratio near perfect, I must admit that my first couple of trial jars I did, the rice clumped up pretty bad, but my jars now are all 80-90% colonized with pretty good results. Still no answer to my humidity question though? I have the jars in my cooler getting light and humidity, and have plastic wrap loosley placed over them and the rings loosley screwed on. Sound good so far???

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag