Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE!
    #8366481 -





Seriously, quit butchering the best novel ever made with a goofy action franchise


--------------------
[quote]Voido said:
[quote]drken said:
Dont get me wrong he is a funny guy, just not a great actor. Smoke some bud and watch the movie, weed helps me pick out shitty acting. [/quote]

no your just stoned. stop smoking pot [/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: AScannerDarkly]
    #8366651 -

I was wishing for this :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: AScannerDarkly]
    #8366738 -

Quote:
Seriously, quit butchering the best novel ever made with a goofy action franchise



ehhh.. I thought it was highly overrated. Ill take Clarke or Asimov over Heinlein any day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: DieCommie]
    #8366785 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
Seriously, quit butchering the best novel ever made with a goofy action franchise



ehhh.. I thought it was highly overrated. Ill take Clarke or Asimov over Heinlein any day.



After seeing I,Robot, you certainly have to sympathize with ALL sci-fi novelists


--------------------
[quote]Voido said:
[quote]drken said:
Dont get me wrong he is a funny guy, just not a great actor. Smoke some bud and watch the movie, weed helps me pick out shitty acting. [/quote]

no your just stoned. stop smoking pot [/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: DieCommie]
    #8367064 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
Seriously, quit butchering the best novel ever made with a goofy action franchise



ehhh.. I thought it was highly overrated. Ill take Clarke or Asimov over Heinlein any day.



I would agree in general, however Heinlein has some amazing novels. I really enjoyed starship troopers, he brings a political element that clarke or asimov couldnt begin to touch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: TheCow]
    #8367273 -

Political element?  Herbert is king.

And I like the movie "I Robot"  :epileptic:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: DieCommie]
    #8367293 -

DieCommie said:
Political element?  Herbert is king.

And I like the movie "I Robot"  :epileptic:



It's an interesting take on the original stories and the overall theme of robots protecting humans from humanity matches one of them, but I don't remember the name of it, but it really could have done without Will Smith's  typical independence day comedy routine. It should have had a much darker, much more serious tone.


--------------------
[quote]Voido said:
[quote]drken said:
Dont get me wrong he is a funny guy, just not a great actor. Smoke some bud and watch the movie, weed helps me pick out shitty acting. [/quote]

no your just stoned. stop smoking pot [/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Starship Troopers 3?! LEAVE HEINLEIN ALONE! [Re: AScannerDarkly]
    #8367376 -

Yea, I can see that criticism. I dont think will smiths comedy was all that bad in it though, and I think Independence Day was a great movie. One part I remember about I Robot is when sonny says hes had dreams. Then the human says you dont have dreams, your a machine. You cant paint a masterpiece or write a symphony. And the robot innocently asks, can you? This is quintessential good sci-fi. The interplay between humanity and technology... we create and invent technology and in return technology defines us as a species. To observe the emergence of sentience in a machine is to observe the birth of raw consciousness. In I Robot we witness this in sonny, as programed by his creator. And also in the mainframe, which has independently exceeded its own code.

This relationship between the essence of humanity and science/technology is what I think was lacking in Starship Troopers. Yea, there is space and aliens so technically its a sci-fi, but it does not re-examine or push the limits of how humanity defines itself. It was a military novel set in the future. As far as military novels go, it may have been good. But I think it was deficient in the nature of sci-fi. It has been a while since I read it though...thats just my memory.


Interesting note about bad sci-fi movies... The first Planet of the Apes was superb, and made alot of money. Every sequel after that got progressively worse and worse, however they made progressively more and more money. So, technically, they continued to be more and more successful. Movies are a media where profit is the first goal, and artistic expression is a secondary one. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, thats just the way it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* UFO and the Commanding StarShip Troopers Thingy Bug Comander mjshroomer 591 1 05/08/04 03:13 PM
by fireworks_god
* Heinlein - Time for the stars sleepy 829 13 05/04/09 08:11 PM
by sleepy
* Need some pot leaves to put on my car. Baby_Hitler 1,237 7 10/19/04 12:53 PM
by cortex
* Re: favorite independent films? ToTheSummit 862 3 08/12/00 02:11 PM
by Anonymous
* independent films
( 1 2 all )
CleverName 5,146 30 10/29/02 10:42 AM
by evolvingfucker
* THE book for touring/independent musicians (US) ShroomismM 819 3 02/21/04 12:18 PM
by Shroomism
* Books slaughtered on the big screen.
( 1 2 all )
Phluck 3,233 24 12/12/03 09:40 AM
by greenhaze
* Lets talk movies.
( 1 2 all )
Scratcher 4,851 27 05/12/01 01:40 AM
by bivalve

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
853 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.