Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDexTek
Aquatic Mammal
Loc: The State of Siege
grow box/light exposure and source
    #832701 - 08/21/02 11:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

first post i've made here but i've been 'lurking' for some time i've recently began my journey into mycology i've read the PF tek from fanaticus several times over and i have some questions about the terrarium i've adapted the instructions to my own liking i don't feel that building one out a styrofoam cooler is a very stable grow area and seeing as this journey is going to be a very long one i wanted somethhing more rugged so i got a 12 gallon rubbermaid container (clear) and my question is do i need to still use the saran wrap/plastic cover method or can i simply use the lid(not clear) that came with the clear box and use a floro desk lap as a indirect light source or does light need to come through at the top of the box? any suggestions would be welcome,thanks to everyone on shroomery for being such a vast source of information and knowledge much respect to the admins and mods.

--------------------
"Those who are saved from their own greed shall surely be prosperous" . (Surah al-Hashr, 59:9)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecantankerous
boogieman

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
Re: grow box/light exposure and source [Re: DexTek]
    #832717 - 08/21/02 11:32 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes
yes
you may want to wrap the sides of your box with black paper so the pins only form upwards. good luck.

--------------------
peace,
beatle

"Friday is my high day"

OfflineDexTek
Aquatic Mammal
Re: grow box/light exposure and source [Re: cantankerous]
    #832733 - 08/21/02 11:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

would cutting out areas of the lid and replacing it with something clear be alright my problem with the saran wrap is that it wouldn't be air tight and not very taught and seeing as the plastic lid is fitted to the box i think it would be more suitable and would light coming from the top and still having the sides be clear be a major problem from the pics i've seen alot of cakes form pins from all areas??

--------------------
"Those who are saved from their own greed shall surely be prosperous" . (Surah al-Hashr, 59:9)

Offlinecantankerous
boogieman

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
    #832753 - 08/21/02 11:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

why would you put saran wrap on the top if the whole thing is already clear? you dont have to cover up the sides it will just cause more pins to form on the sides like most you see. i cover up the sides of mine and the pins always form upwards when i have just cakes. when i am casing i use clear containers but again i cover the sides and never have any struggling out the sides.

--------------------
peace,
beatle

"Friday is my high day"

OfflineDexTek
Aquatic Mammal
Re: grow box/light exposure and source [Re: cantankerous]
    #832773 - 08/21/02 11:46 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

well the box itself is clear but the lid of the box isn't,but i get what your saying now about the pins and the light thing thanx for the advice beatle

--------------------

Offlineapatheticgoddess
carnivore

#832816 - 08/21/02 11:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i don't really know if this will work or not, it depends on your container. you said you have a clear container but not a clear lid. maybe you could put it on it's side, so that one of the clear sides is now the top. then cover the other sides that are clear, and when you need to open it for fanning or picking you could maybe just open it from the side. if the lid sticks out a lot, so that when it's on the side it's resting on the lid, then maybe you could put it on top of something else to make it easier to open. just a suggestion, something you could maybe try.

--------------------
this post is a work of fiction and is for entertainment purposes only.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation