Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Bubbler System Explained - Pics!
    #815758 - 08/13/02 05:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey gang,

I made my bubbler system to supply humidity and fresh air today, installed it and everything. It works awesome! A bubbler system is a fairly easy and cheap way to get humidity and fresh air into your terrarium automatically My whole system cost about $25 Pic-

Here?s my write-up-

Materials-

- 2 bottles (preferably small) with caps
- Tape
- Aquarium air pump (doesn?t have to be powerful)
- Aquarium air pump tubing (sold next to the pump)
- Screw driver (with head a little smaller than width of tubing) or other round poker
- Lighter

Procedure-

Get two bottles, preferably small because there is no reason to use big ones. Wash the bottles out well! Use a small amount of bleach and shake it around with the cap on, pour out bleach and rinse with water. Dry the outside of the bottles and tape them together, as seen in the pics lower down. I used clear masking tape but anything will work.
Remove the caps. Put the caps down on a table or other hard surface. Get your screw driver (or other round, pointy object) and heat the end with your lighter. Once you have had the lighter flame on the screw driver for 10-15 seconds hold it onto your cap and press. The heat should melt but not burn the plastic of the cap, making a hole for your tubing. Put 2 holes on each cap like this, each hole across from the other. You may want to move the hot screw driver around in the hole to widen it a **little**.
Now cut your tubing to whatever lengths you want it at, the 2 pieces of tubing going out of the bottles should be long (they can be shortened later). The piece of tubing going in-between the bottles should be fairly short, mine was 7" but this may vary. Screw on both caps and start pushing the tubing into the cap holes. The long pieces of tubing should be on the holes facing the outer side of the bottles. Now this is where it can get tricky, don?t screw this up or you may end up pouring water/peroxide into your terrarium!
Choose a water level that the bottles will be filled to and mark it with a permanent marker, mine were 1/2 filled. The first piece of tubing should be going into the bottle that will later be filled with the water/peroxide mix. Push this piece of tubing LOWER than the water line that you made, about 1" lower will do. The tube should slide in fairly easily but make sure its not moving around in the hole! Now here comes the 2nd piece of tubing, the shorter piece. Push the tubing into the 1st cap, the one with the other tube already in it. Keep this side of the tube HIGHER than the water level unless you want to pump water into the terrarium! Now push the other side of the tubing (the tube sticking out of the 1st bottle [the one higher than the water level]) into the 2nd bottle. Push this side of the tubing LOWER than the water level in the 2nd bottle, again 1" lower will be fine. Now push the last piece of tubing (a long piece) into the last hole in the 2nd bottle. This tube should be HIGHER than the water level. Here?s a pic of mine-

Alrighty, if you have come/read this far im proud of you! I didn?t mean it to be this long, sorry! Now once your tubes are all in at the right lengths (above water/below water) carefully unscrew the caps, making sure not to pull on the tubes. Now in the 1st bottle put a peroxide/water mix. My mix was 1:3 peroxide:water, that may have been a bit much but it can be adjusted anytime. In the 2nd bottle put distilled or natural spring water. Screw the caps back on.
Now cut the tubing to whatever length is right for you, attach the tubing coming out of bottle 1 to your air pump. Use the screw driver (poker) and lighter method to make a hole in the terrarium so you can put the hose coming out of bottle 2 into it. TIP- Make the hole as close to the bottom as possible because Co2 (carbon dioxide) sinks lower than air, that way the fresh air will be blown where the stale Co2 is.

Now plug in your air pump and watch that ?sucka run. If all was done right you should have air bubbling from the tube coming from the air pump in bottle 1. Then you should have air bubbling from the tube coming from bottle 1 into bottle 2. The tubes under the water level should be bubbling, the others shouldn?t look to be doing anything. If water is being pumped into the terr, you went wrong somewhere! I would STRONGLY suggest testing this before hooking it to the terr, that way you can make sure you got all the tubing correct!

The method is easy as fuck and took me about 10 minutes, that right-up seems long but its easy! This way your humidity is good and you have constant fresh air. I still fan once a day just to be sure.....

Best of luck & take care!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrainNirvana
Stranger

Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: Fd3000]
    #815849 - 08/13/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sweet system. I guess the h2o2 doesn't mix more then about 10% or does it?

Anonymous

#815880 - 08/13/02 06:03 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i have a question about the air pump method.. wouldnt the pressure build up if there is constant air flow going into the terrarium?

Invisibleblitz
RIP "Ripper" akaBrandon
    #815883 - 08/13/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

nice system.. very small too

--------------------
"The universe works whether or not you understand it" - Frank Zappa

-blitz

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: ]
    #815885 - 08/13/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

i have a question about the air pump method.. wouldnt the pressure build up if there is constant air flow going into the terrarium?

I doubt the pump could generate any meaningful amounts of pressure (at least not enough to cause any major problems), but either way, you can avoid any problems by installing some kind of vent.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #815890 - 08/13/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, if your terrarium were hermetically sealed, yeah. What the increase in pressure actually does is push air out of the little leaks all over your terrarium, so they're less likely to let in competitors.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineDETACHABLE_PENIS
Night Rider
Loc: show currently cancelled
Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: BrainNirvana]
    #815896 - 08/13/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i'll be colinizing substrate very soon and will very likely use this. i've had many questions lately about water pump uses and humidity control. thank you fd300

--------------------
Prepare to turbo boost.

Anonymous

Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #816350 - 08/13/02 09:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

the reason I ask about the pump creating pressure is because i will be using a foam cooler and i was thinking about using perlite and an air pump. but if the air escaped from all the little holes would that lower the humidity? i'm guessing not because i'll have both perlite and a pump.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #816352 - 08/13/02 09:43 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The air coming in should be humid to begin with, if it's not, yes it will dramatically lower the humidity if the ambient humidity in the room (or wherever the pump is housed) is low.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #816574 - 08/14/02 01:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Glad you all liked it! The pressure shouldnt be a problem unless you have an air tight terrarium. If you do have an air tight terr then i would imagin the pressure will build until its stronger than the air pump, then the air pump would stop and break down(i assume).

Anyone else have questions, just ask!!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinehomebrew

#816631 - 08/14/02 03:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

One quick critique: h2o2 is photosensitve and breaks down on exposure to light which is why it is packaged in opaque containers. Use a different container for your h2o2 resivoir or change it often.

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: homebrew]
    #816723 - 08/14/02 04:15 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good observation! Didn't even think about that. Would probably be best just to use the container the H2O2 came in - that way all one would have to do is replace the bottle using the same cap when the H2O2 is all used up.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinejalpod
Stranger
    #816924 - 08/14/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It looks like you have perlite in the bottom of your terarium. I was curious, can this method supply enough humidity to completely negate the need for perlite?

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: jalpod]
    #816949 - 08/14/02 06:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, it can but your air pump has to be pretty powerfull. My air pump is for very small aquariums so i kept the perlite in there...

Fd

--------------------

Offlinejalpod
Stranger
    #817323 - 08/14/02 09:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

would it be possible to just mix the h202 and the h20 in one larger 2 liter bottle?

InvisibleThe_Mad_Hatter
Certified Madman

Loc: Somewhere in Wonderland
    #817553 - 08/15/02 09:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think I might set one up myself, to make it a bit more self sufficient.

--------------------
`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. `You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: jalpod]
    #817588 - 08/15/02 09:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

would it be possible to just mix the h202 and the h20 in one larger 2 liter bottle?

Of course! I just used smaller bottles because i saw no need for bigger ones...

Fd

--------------------

InvisibleThe_Mad_Hatter
Certified Madman

Loc: Somewhere in Wonderland
    #817642 - 08/15/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I thought I saw this explained someplace else using 3 bottles instead of 2, anyone know where I mean? I'm sure 2 would be fine, but it is driving me crazy wondering where I saw it.

--------------------
`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. `You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: The_Mad_Hatter]
    #817974 - 08/15/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

you mean like the mmgg?

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: Bubbler System Explained - Pics! [Re: sirJ]
    #818282 - 08/15/02 02:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i dont get it?? why is the h202 and the h20 seperated.. the whole reason of putting the two together is so the resivior doesnt get moldy and you completely missed the point to that...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom