Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information
    #8170079 -

AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information


Associated Press president Tom Curley says his news organization does not buy the government's argument that one of its photographers arrested in Iraq was working on behalf of the enemy, and he alleged the US is rounding up journalists in an attempt to control information.

"To say the least, we see things very differently," Curley commented dryly, regarding photographer Bilal Hussein, who was arrested two years ago and remains in military custody.

Noting that at least a dozen other Iraqi photographers have been detained or arrested, Curley stated, "It's impossible not to conclude that the words and pictures these journalists produced were considered unhelpful to the war effort and that their arrests would have served a broader strategy of information control."

Curley also called on journalists to demand that all the presidential candidates make a commitment to reversing a directive issued by Attorney General John Ashcroft shortly after September 11 that radically restricted the scope of the Freedom of Information Act.

Ashcroft's memo stated, "When you carefully consider FOIA requests and decide to withhold records, in whole or in part, you can be assured that the Department of Justice will defend your decisions unless they lack a sound legal basis or present an unwarranted risk of adverse impact on the ability of other agencies to protect other important records."

Curley told the National Press Club, "When a matter of public policy poses a straight-up choice between the public's rights of access to government and a government effort to infringe or even narrow those rights, journalists cannot pretend to be disinterested observers."

"This is the moment to make it clear to all the presidential candidates how important reversal of the Ashcroft directive is to us and to the people," Curley continued. "We need to ask the candidates at every opportunity ... whether they are willing to appoint an attorney general willing to follow the spirit as well as the letter of the law that protects the people's right to know what their government is doing."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: Disco Cat]
    #8170084 -

those fuckers! 
ill kill them!
:minigun:  :onfire:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: Coaster]
    #8171549 -

Fuckin' awesome Coast.

I'm a little suprised that it took this long for someone to say that our govenment has been restricting our jounalists. Shit, when they interview soldiers, they brief 'em on what to say. It's bullshit.

*insert cool graphics like Coaster did here*


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: dill705]
    #8172028 -

why be surprised, it's been admitted several time including by CNN
during the first us/iraq conflict, they've been doing it since the 40's

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8172357 -

See, I never knew that. You learn something new every day, right?

I'm not suprised that they do it, I'm just surprised it took this long to get to me.


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: dill705]
    #8172794 -

1 douchebag arrested out of the thousands over there constitutes "rounding up" journalists? Maybe the AP should stop funding terrorists and blindly printing their propaganda as fact.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8172879 -

Wow. I love you zappa, but I just don't understand your hate of liberals.

All I can say is wow...


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: dill705]
    #8172955 -

I think that liberalism is a pox. Liberals want to run my life in far more ways than conservatives. I would mostly prefer to be left the fuck alone. Liberals want to be privy to my colonoscopy, conservatives just want me to be able to get one if I can pay for it.

Even when I was dead broke I felt this way. "I'll do it myself, thank you, or not at all."


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8173004 -

I think that some liberals overstep with certain issues. I also think that almost every republican is in it for themselves. I don't like that attitude in an elected representaional democracy.

I have never had any experience to think otherwise, with the exceptions of Ron Paul and the dead John McCain (who used to think for himself). Shit, even the one republican I had a chance to talk to in high school was an amazing asshole that yelled at the poorest kid in school because his boxers were showing about 1/2 inch.

He went way overboard and I wanted to punch him in the face. Finally,  just said, "Then why don't you buy him a belt." Apparently, this was inappropriate and I had a nice conversation with the Dean about how we treat guests, especially the ones that vote for school funding.

No one ever talked to that retard. If you can't tell, I was that kid, and boy was I pissed off  :doublefu:


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: dill705]
    #8173137 -

And you think Dems aren't in it for themselves?. They're even worse. Not only do they want it for themselves they want everything for themselves. Total dependence on the government gives the government total power.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8173229 -

Your so closed minded that you can't even see that they don't want people on welfare and shit, they just want to help.

And they are way better on foreign policy.


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: dill705]
    #8173347 -

They do want people on welfare "and shit". The get their power from other people's dependency. And they are way worse on foreign policy.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AP president: US arrests journalist in Iraq to 'control' information [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8173373 -

I still love you even when you're wrong :hippie:


--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Dutch arrest in Iraq genocide case Great_Satan 633 1 12/08/04 07:32 AM
by Asante
* Arming Iraq and the Path to War dee_N_ae 1,084 3 04/18/03 09:10 PM
by JohnnyRespect
* If the purpose of invading Iraq is to liberate them... Zahid 2,163 18 06/19/04 08:55 PM
by Stein
* Support US war on IRAQ
( 1 2 all )
LordMorham 4,843 29 09/20/02 09:56 AM
by LordMorham
* 10 questions about Iraq Ellis Dee 902 11 02/24/03 11:30 PM
by Innvertigo
* US running scared of Iraq elections
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Xlea321 7,532 77 02/05/04 06:07 PM
by mntlfngrs
* Harry Browne on Bush/Iraq Invasion
( 1 2 3 all )
Xochitl 6,757 43 06/22/06 05:15 PM
by Phred
* Bush Orders Iraq To Disarm Before Start Of War Northernsoul 1,215 12 03/18/03 09:34 AM
by angryshroom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
753 topic views. 5 members, 6 guests and 139 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.