Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
Has anything really changed??
    #787201 - 07/30/02 10:13 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know if this belong here or in the OTD; it is philosophical in nature though. If I have made a mistake, then I am sure some accommodating moderator will move it.

"It's July 11, 1995, and it's hot all over. The Unabomber has mailed a deranged screed to the New York Times and the Washington Post, demanding that Western civilization grind to a halt; Western civilization yawns and flips to the funny pages. A NASA space shuttle has just returned to Cape Canaveral after docking with the Russian space station; most people are more interested in catching the new Tom Hanks movie about another space mission tewnty-five years ago. Ten Republicans claim that they can do a better job of ruining the country than one Democrat, and no one really doubts their word. Right-wing militian nuts are saying that the United Nations is conspiring to take over the United States, which is a hoot because the UN peacekeepers can't prevent Serbs from wiping out Croats in a plot of European real estate little larger than Pennsylvania. The major-league baseball strike has been settled, which means that it's okay to come back to the ballpark and watch your team get stomped by the Cleveland Indians--pardon me, the Cleveland Native Americans. Richard Gere is in Camelot, Clint Eastwood is in Meryl Streep's pants, and Denzel Washington is in a sub; Ben kingsley battles alians while Sylvester Stallone fights giant robots, and the best babes in the Cineplex are Batman's new girlfriend and Disney's idea of how Pocahontas might have looked if she had worked out on a Nautilus machine and shaved her pits. Calvin talks to Hobbes, Rush talks to Newt, O.J. talks to his lawyers, and every moron who has worn his wife's clothes, screwed her son's girlfriend, or been kidnapped by aliens is talking to Oprah, Sally, Geraldo, and/or Ricki. Just between you and me, I'd rather have my brains fried on the sidewalk and eaten with a poached egg."

Has anything really changed in 7 years?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: Has anything really changed?? [Re: mr freedom]
    #787397 - 07/31/02 01:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i have been thinking like this too, it is part of the new thought movement away from our constructed illusions.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #787590 - 07/31/02 06:13 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This exerpt is just an apathetic rant. Like so many other posts found here at the shroomery, whoever wrote this is likely more concerned about portraying himself as a deep and troubled inltellectual rather than uncovering any real "truth" and changing the situation he is so pissed off at. It is becoming hard not to let these people get under my skin.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Re: Has anything really changed?? [Re: buttonion]
    #787649 - 07/31/02 07:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, that was pretty apathetic itself...

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #787891 - 07/31/02 09:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The best quote I can think of regarding the subject at hand:
"The more things change, the more they stay the same"
enough said

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #787907 - 07/31/02 09:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

.....................I have changed..............my awareness has expanded..............

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
Re: Has anything really changed?? [Re: buttonion]
    #788135 - 07/31/02 11:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry, didn't mean to bring you down. I just started reading a science fiction book: A King of Infinite space by Allen Steele; thats why the whole thing is in quotes.
I don't know if the author intended for it to be an apathetic rant or not. Considering the main character, I would think this could be possible. I just thought it was most apropos.

Now that you know it wasn't some psueo intellectual rant by me; answer the question. In the interveneing 7 years, have you seen any significant changes?
I certainly have, I am communicating with you on one such change.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

#788309 - 07/31/02 01:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My bad? I am just getting tired of how much egotism there is here. Not that I am totally immune, but it seems to really be holding this forum back. Anyway?

Have I seen significant changes in the last 7 years? Well, I read this rant again, attempting to find some sort of theme that will help me answer the ambiguous question ?Have I seen significant changes in the last 7 years?? (Of course things have changed, what specifically? Politics, science, individual well-being?) This rant really is non-sensical. Maybe it is poetic or metaphorical, but the meaning is totally escaping me. I stand by my original interpretation. I guess I do get this kind of nihilistic feeling from it, but it is very vague and more annoying than anything.

How about this. What do you think about this article and change over the last 7 years? And then I?ll go from there.

--------------------

Anonymous

#788975 - 07/31/02 07:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology