Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedvisitor
Stranger
Keeping temps for colonization..
    #783134 - 07/29/02 12:53 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,
I've got some Myco Bags that I just innoculated. I have them inside a thin cardboard box. I need to bring the temp up to the 84-86 recommended. Right now I have the box on a heating pad which is set to low. I also have a small hand towel inside the box which the bags are sitting on so they aren't directly on the heat. They feel warm to the touch on the bottom but not too hot by any means. My only question is about the bags drying. I've heard that this could possibly dry the bags out. But I need to do something otherwise they'll be at about 74 and take forever to colonize. Is my method good, bad, indifferent? Any advice? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedragonia
Stranger
Re: Keeping temps for colonization.. [Re: dvisitor]
    #783233 - 07/29/02 03:38 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know very much about what you're doing. I know someone that's had success with a heating pad though.

A good friend of mine used the incubator method though: incubator

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #783256 - 07/29/02 04:09 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Danger Will Robinson!!! Danger!, Danger!!

Be VERY careful using a heating pad!! On low it can get to 130F or more!!

Put 4 layers of terry-cloth between the pad and the box.

Don't let the bottom of the bags exceed 92F - Get a thermometer!

Remember when you were a kid and your mom would feel your forehead to see if you had a fever? If you felt warm, she knew you did, so if the bags feel warm, they could easily be over 100F!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #783259 - 07/29/02 04:14 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

A heating pad -- even with a thin layer of cardboard between it & the bags will tend to dry out the bags. I would suggest a box in a box method. Meaning, place the bags in a cardboard box, & place that in a larger rubbermaid type container with an open jar of water inside the larger one to even out the humidity & have the pad beside rather than underneath the bags. Never had that problem, so that is only a off the wall suggestion. SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #783263 - 07/29/02 04:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I second TM's motion ..... monitor closely with a thermometer, whatever you do. Or, you will end up with toast or dry bags.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#783397 - 07/29/02 05:32 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't tried this, but I figured it should work well to stick a halogen lamp in the closet or whatever area you have something colonizing (for those of you who already have a halogen). I don't see why this would be a problem unless the lamp would be too close to anything that is fruiting. And obviously you would have to be sure there was no way for the light to get into your incubator or whatever. This should at least work well (I would think) for anyone who keeps their junk in a closet. The lamp will get plenty hot enough to warm the closet up to an appropriate temp. Obviously a space heater or something could do the same.
Seems like a fine idea to me (assuming you keep an eye on the temp), but if someone thinks they see a problem with this, tell me why.
BTW, this isn't intended to be the perfect heating method; it is just an idea for cheap people (like me) who would like to use something they have around the house rather than spending money or time on something else.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder